Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Petsmart scorpion species?

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by hecklad, Dec 4, 2019 at 4:18 PM.

1. hecklad

hecklad Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    So last Sunday I saw that they had "asian forest scorpions" for sale for like $10, so I went ahead and bought one (and yes, I know "don't support the chain stores... etc"). But anyhow I noticed that Asian forest scorpion is as specific as their label gets, so I'm curious if what I have is an H spinifer or could it be some other heterometrus species?

2. Arthroverts

Arthroverts Arachnoprince Active Member

Heterometrus sp. is about as far as you are gonna get without photos, although some species are more common than others within the US hobby. I can't tell you what they are though...
    @Outpost31Survivor might be able to shed some more light on this topic.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

3. hecklad

I have these two pictures. Are they good enough for a solid ID? @Arthroverts

1204191632-1.jpg
    1204191631a-1.jpg

4. Arthroverts

Arthroverts Arachnoprince Active Member

I am not skilled enough to present you with a proper ID, I am just preparing the way for the Heterometrus sp. heavy-weights to come in :D. I believe you can ID them from the shape of the chelae, so a better shot of them may be necessary, although I leave that to those more knowledgable than I.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

5. carters critters

carters critters Arachnosquire Active Member

Ya the Petco that I go to had some "emperor scorpions" but I dont know. They may have been mistaken.

6. Outpost31Survivor

Outpost31Survivor Arachnobaron Active Member

I would be very leery of what Petco labels as Emps. :confused:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Outpost31Survivor

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Outpost31Survivor

H.petersii has "black" telson. H.spinifer and H.longimanus will have white or yellow telson that mature into reddish brown telsons.

H.petersii lacks pronounced internal tubercles (internal "spines") on its patella, both H.longimanus and H.spinifer have pronounced internal tubercles on their patella.

Photo 1 H.petersii patella
    Photo 2 H.longimanus patella
    Photo 3 H.spinifer patella

Attached Files:

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Outpost31Survivor

Here again is H.spinifer patella:

Attached Files:

10. hecklad

• Like Like x 1
  11. Outpost31Survivor

It is very reliable identifiers because H.petersii currently dominates the AFS pet hobby and most species are quite very rare, so rare that businesses such as Petco and local pet shops aren't ever going to carry these rare species. ;)

Here is Kovarik's review of H.petersii:

Attached Files:

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.