Petsmart is killing tarantulas…

Numismatica

Arachnosquire
I went into petsmart today and saw a pink toe with an abdomen half the size of its carapace. It was scary to look at and when I told the worker he said “oh we got that in today” and threw a single cricket in. I think he was lying… I went in to buy a curly hair for my second tarantula and it’s abdomen was also smaller than it’s carapace. It ate 3 crickets right away when I got home (1st pic after 3) and another 2 in his new enclosure just a bit ago before I head to bed, and now it’s abdomen is a good size (2nd pic after 5). How can we get this to stop? Is there a way to petition this?

Attachments

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Unfortunately it's nothing new, what you just described is the everyday normality around T's (but I bet around other animals in their care, either) of such places.

Pretending that those Pet shop corporations really would totally rewrite from zero their T's care has the same chances of winning the Powerball two times in few years.

Petitions and such doesn't always work like someone may think, we are talking about T's and inverts = No-one-give-a damn-animals, not dogs/cats/lions/whatever.

What really works is the simplest logical thing that, for bizarre reasons I fail to fully understand, only very few people do: Using your wallet as a "weapon", giving your cash to others that really deserves, like trusted T's private breeders.

jc55

Arachnoknight
This is a common thing among pet store chains and has been for as long as i can remember and there is probably no end to it.I have tried myself to educate store managers but most seem to get offended instead of educated and then i found in many or most of the stores the employees are afraid of the tarantulas only adding to their lack of proper care.The other part is that when one is purchased it only allows for the cycle of poor care to continue because at the end of the day it is always about the money to them.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Also, as an unfortunate consequence of a successful petition, ALL tarantula selling could be banned within a small or large jurisdiction...because governments love blanket bans, it's easier to enforce.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
If you don't like the way they treat their inverts, don't buy your spiders from there. That's pretty much the only petition you can do; it might not change anything long term but you won't be contributing to their neglect.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I went into petsmart today and saw a pink toe with an abdomen half the size of its carapace. It was scary to look at and when I told the worker he said “oh we got that in today” and threw a single cricket in. I think he was lying… I went in to buy a curly hair for my second tarantula and it’s abdomen was also smaller than it’s carapace. It ate 3 crickets right away when I got home (1st pic after 3) and another 2 in his new enclosure just a bit ago before I head to bed, and now it’s abdomen is a good size (2nd pic after 5). How can we get this to stop? Is there a way to petition this?
Nope

But when you keep buying their product you are continuing their bad behavior.

You’re almost as guilty in my eyes.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you're fortunate enough to live in an area with several pet shops, maybe try a smaller one ? You might luck out in finding a specialized reptile shop which might have a better clue for Ts. I wouldn't support those big chain shops if they can't even be bothered to properly train their staff on all manner of animal husbandry.

Myself, coming from a fairly small town, only have one "Mom and Pop" style pet shop. They did stock Ts and scorps in the past, but not anymore. Ever since Chile closed its doors to exportations, tarantulas are only special ordered for specific clients, such as myself. I have my B. boehmei and G. porteri purchased from there. Both animals are healthy and active, so I have nothing to complain... aside the times when I only get teeny, tiny crickets when I go for a run because the bigger ones have already been bought out. But hey, sometimes it's just beyond our control.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
I struggled with this recently, when PetSmart had a really cute little juve B hamorii in an atrocious setup. I wanted to rescue it very badly, but in the end opted not to knowing they'd just replace it with another poor unfortunate soul. Tempting though it may be, it's really best not to support them.

cold blood

Staff member
A small abdomen is not bad, evil or a sign of ANY negativity...people need to stop freaking out when they see a small abdomen.

A small abdomen is a natural part of every tarantulas life. Its part of the growth cycle.

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
I was watching a video of finding Pamphobeteus in the wild in Peru and a huge female had the smallest of abdomens, and the explorer said that is completely normal and how they usually look in the wild, and it depends on the season etc.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
I was watching a video of finding Pamphobeteus in the wild in Peru and a huge female had the smallest of abdomens, and the explorer said that is completely normal and how they usually look in the wild, and it depends on the season etc.
Tbh the T. Albo in this post probably has came straight from the wild and that's why it's here and not looking like a balloon with legs

Numismatica

Arachnosquire
Unfortunately it's nothing new, what you just described is the everyday normality around T's
This is a common thing among pet store
Also, as an unfortunate consequence of a
If you don't like the way they treat their inverts,
Don't give them your money.
If you're fortunate enough to live in an area
I struggled with this recently, when PetSmart
A small abdomen is not bad, evil or a sign of
I was watching a video of finding
Thank you all for the reassurance. Hopefully after a few decades petsmart will try to be a little more professional about their care to combat our ever evolving genus of getting triggered. Or hopefully just stop selling bugs in general. I am done buying Ts from there as I now have both the variety’s they offer. One day in and my curly hair is looking good!

Ian14

Arachnobaron
Just don't buy anything from them??

joossa

Arachnobaron
Read the comments in this thread. Some interesting food for thought:

Numismatica

Arachnosquire
That curly hair looks fine, not all spiders have to fit American beauty standards :troll:
I took that first picture after feeding 3 crickets. It’s abdomen was quite a bit smaller before. And the avicularia that they had, had an abdomen the size of a plastic bb! It was at adult size but very slim.

GrimMelvin

Arachnopeon
I don't think there's anything that can be done, other than not buying from them.

Pet stores often do this and to many animals, not just tarantulas. I often see stuff like overcrowded fish tanks and selling fish together with absolutely tiny bowls that aren't enough. I saw zebra finches the other day which had adolescent birds and the adults were pecking them until their little heads were almost bald (husband had finches for years and he says that adults don't like adolescents to stay in the group, they leave to find their own), but the shop didn't care. Another one is puppies and kittens from backyard breeders.

They are a company at the end of the day and they understand money most of all. Not buying from them is the only thing we can do. But even then, many people still will. And many, who feel bad for the animals, also will buy to save them. But that just means that another will replace it soon in the shop.

Its horrible and sad, really.

Last edited: