petersi? Poor mans Pamphobeteus or just a reasonably priced Pamph?

TechComMike

Arachnopeon
For the most part Pamphos seem expensive to me when talking adult females. The exception seems to be sp. petersi that trade at more reasonable levels. So question is does petersi just not live up to the others or what? For those with one, do you have any good pics and are they good feeders and do they stay out in sight often or always try to remain hidden? Also, from the just post-molt through to pre-molt cycle, what is the color scheme of these T's. Thanks.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
P. petersi is actually one that has been imported in WC numbers, which is why they are quite cheaper at the moment. Sad to say, but avoid WC if possible. I believe the import was traced from UnderGroundReptiles that imported them? (correct me if I'm wrong). Now, they are quite a basic color like most other female pampho's: Brown. They're actually quite a larger species of pampho that is recommended for more experienced keepers. These guys kick hairs more often than Theraphosa's in my experience, which they kick hairs everywhere for no reason in their enclosure. Every time I open my P. petersi's enclosure, the first thing that hits me is literal uricating hairs from the enclosure. My female is at 6.75''-7'' but almost mature with one more molt for an ideal breeding size for me. Males are quite long and leggy, which I'm in desperate search for another pen-ultimate/mature male for them right now since my last one died at pen-ultimate stage due to impaction. Mines is always out and about, but is super skittish every time I open her enclosure and will not hesitate to kick hairs. IMO, they are basically another Theraphosa, but much more worse with constant hair kicking. But still a great species for the more experienced/advanced keepers.

0.1 P. petersi Freshly Molted. (old picture)

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I actually think they are really nice looking... remind me a little of M. velvetosoma. As Liquifin said, the cost is a function of supply and demand. Higher supply and therefore lower cost in this case, unlike with Pamphobeteus sp. "super aqua special dark 45869, etc."

c.h.esteban

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
... remind me a little of M. velvetosoma.
maybe because some of these WC or a few more in fact are M velvetosoma.
these Pamphobeteus sp. (which is called petersi) was found often together with or near by M velevtosoma. when i have examine these WC "petersi" in the past, i found often a velvetosoma.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
maybe because some of these WC or a few more in fact are M velvetosoma.
these Pamphobeteus sp. (which is called petersi) was found often together with or near by M velevtosoma. when i have examine these WC "petersi" in the past, i found often a velvetosoma.
Very interesting. Wasn't aware of that, but good to know... maybe there's more to that connection than I thought.

c.h.esteban

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
@korg
at these topic you should also always think about :

"Pamphobeteus petersi Schmidt, 2002 is not included in this discussion because this species is misplaced within Pamphobeteus. The copulatory organs of P. petersi resemble those of Megaphobema Pocock, 1901, thereby P. petersi must be transferred to Megaphobema." (Cifuentes et al., 2016)

Pamphobeteus petersi ♂ HT SMF 40567

01.jpg