Peterborough Zoo Pictures

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
cool pics mori..i haven't been to a zoo in a long time! i think miami probably has a pretty big one. what species is that next to the baby carriage? ;P

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Not so spineless wonders are for terrariums and other animals. Going to the zoo is a "field trip" from now on!
{D
Since not all zoos have just vertebrates, this makes sense to me.

Cheers,
Dave

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Since not all zoos have just vertebrates, this makes sense to me.
I wouldnt call going to a zoo a field trip, vertebrate or not. What kind of animals the zoo keep is irrelevant, its where the animals are found that makes a difference between a field trip and a zoological park daytrip.
A field trip, for most people, are going out to see or atleast look for wild animals that are not kept in enclosures.
But I guess theres no point in discussing this further.

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A field trip, for most people, are going out to see or atleast look for wild animals that are not kept in enclosures.
Exactly. I thought this forum was going to be about the animals in the wild, in their natural habitat.

Unless Field Trips also included what you go on in Elementary School - Highschool. Then I guess we can also expect pictures of chocolate factories and art museums?

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Then I guess we can also expect pictures of chocolate factories and art museums?
If this were an art or candy forum, then sure. You can't say that zoos have nothing to do with this forum at all.

There can be different kinds of field trips, no? Is it out in the wild? No. However, it seems that it should be okay to share pictures of these here since zoos are typically many different species and types of animals that may not fit into any other category.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You can't say that zoos have nothing to do with this forum at all.

There can be different kinds of field trips, no? Is it out in the wild? No. However, it seems that it should be okay to share pictures of these here since zoos are typically many different species and types of animals that may not fit into any other category.

A zoo visit have nothing to do with look for and experience wildlife and nature. Which was the purpose of this forum from the start. If its changed into something else then you should remove the rules and rewrite it.
Now its like posting pictures of goldfish into a anglers forum

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Lelle,

The rules have been changed. They were changed before you posted any of this. There are these threads that contain pictures of animals from different taxa. They don't fit in NSSW because they are not all spineless. They don't fit in the Watering Hole because they are less off topic. We want to allow people to opt out of the Watering Hole to miss out on the political stuff yet still be able to enjoy these types of threads. After all, zoo threads look an awful lot like field threads -- a series of photos and possibly descriptions of animals from multiple taxa.

This forum isn't that busy and there aren't that many zoo threads. Thus, nothing is being burried. As for the "purity" of the forum -- if I went on a trip to Brazil would you want me to post my pictures from the field here but then pictures of animals from a private reserve elsewhere?

But I digress. They work well functionally and that is why they have been changed.

Cheers,
Dave

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Lelle,

The rules have been changed. They were changed before you posted any of this. There are these threads that contain pictures of animals from different taxa. They don't fit in NSSW because they are not all spineless. They don't fit in the Watering Hole because they are less off topic. We want to allow people to opt out of the Watering Hole to miss out on the political stuff yet still be able to enjoy these types of threads. After all, zoo threads look an awful lot like field threads -- a series of photos and possibly descriptions of animals from multiple taxa.

This forum isn't that busy and there aren't that many zoo threads. Thus, nothing is being burried. As for the "purity" of the forum -- if I went on a trip to Brazil would you want me to post my pictures from the field here but then pictures of animals from a private reserve elsewhere?

But I digress. They work well functionally and that is why they have been changed.

Cheers,
Dave
Some was changed but not all.
If you think zoo threads look like field - then you sure need to get out of the concrete! Fences are usually not surrounding wildlife (except bears in citys...)
If that is all you get out of field trip posts then I feel a bit sorry for you. Your interest cannot be so especially deep.

If your imaginary brazil post contained field trip pix - that is pictures from the wild - and you throw in a few zoo pix I wouldnt mind. It has nothing to do with "purity" - only to do what the purpose is of have the forum and clearly its not to show how and where tarantulas and other wildlife in their natural surroundings.
I went to a petshop today, maybe I should have posted a few parrakeet pictures? After all, I took a trip and saw animals....

And busy? If its the amount of posts you are after - no its not busy. But its not inactive either.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Fences are usually not surrounding wildlife (except bears in citys...)
Absolutely nothing about the expanded forum puts bars around the field trip animals .. or changes those threads in any way.

If that is all you get out of field trip posts then I feel a bit sorry for you. Your interest cannot be so especially deep.
Once again, we aren't changing the nature of the field trip posts. They are still there for everyone to enjoy. If you're only into Theridae spiders I'm sure you can still use the "True Spiders" forum without undue psychological stress because there may be other families represented.

As to why you chose to make it personal -- especially realizing, as you must, that I spend as much time in the field as I possibly can (I don't have the resources you do, obviously .. so forgive me if I can only make one trip a year) -- I don't understand.

Cheers,
Dave

Last edited:

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Absolutely nothing about the expanded forum puts bars around the field trip animals .. or changes those threads in any way.

Once again, we aren't changing the nature of the field trip posts. They are still there for everyone to enjoy. If you're only into Theridae spiders I'm sure you can still use the "True Spiders" forum without undue psychological stress because there may be other families represented.

As to why you chose to make it personal -- especially realizing, as you must, that I spend as much time in the field as I possibly can (I don't have the resources you do, obviously .. so forgive me if I can only make one trip a year) -- I don't understand.

Cheers,
Dave
Its nothing personal. I was just astound that you equal a zoo trip with going out in the wild. My comment on your interest was a bit harsh and I apologize for that. Still I do think there is a difference both in the experience and as a viewer of threads.
No "psychological stress" - I just dont agree with what this forum should be about. Thats all.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
Its nothing personal. I was just astound that you equal a zoo trip with going out in the wild. My comment on your interest was a bit harsh and I apologize for that. Still I do think there is a difference both in the experience and as a viewer of threads.
No "psychological stress" - I just dont agree with what this forum should be about. Thats all.
i don't think anyone was claiming a trip to the zoo was equal to seeing these same animals in their natural habitat. they were going against what you were saying though...that the two have NOTHING to do with eachother. i see your point, but i think you took it a tad far. they do have something that connects them quite intimately...the animals :}

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
After all, zoo threads look an awful lot like field threads -- a series of photos and possibly descriptions of animals from multiple taxa.
This is to me to say its pretty much equal. Or I might be reading it totally wrong.
Sometimes a debate can get a little heated up. My fault I guess but I also offered a apology.
I still think zoological park trips, trips to the pet store and trips on acid dont belong in this category! ;)

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I like the serval :D My friend has a big female serval thats an absolute sweetie!

adonis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cool pictures. I may have to visit the Peterborough Zoo sometime soon!

It's close to home and the cottage, lol.