petco scorpion.

Dravensmom

Arachnosquire
I bought a scorpion a few weeks ago at petco.. she was onsale for $8. She is an adult and was with other scorpions. Im just wondering if anyone here has ever recieved a pregnant scorpion from petco and how do I tell if she is? Im not sure so I am feeding her as much as she wants.. about a large cricket everyotherday.

Chrome69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Many people have, and depends on what type of scorpion it is. If it's an emperor or AFS you should clearly be able to see embryos under the skin and it'll be really really chubby, you'll also be able to see it's spine clearly between the back segments. If you post a clear picture it would be easier to just tell you ;).

Chrome69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's just easier to say spine, makes it easy to know what to look for, i'm aware it's not actually a spine but still.

llamastick

Arachnoknight
(assuming emperor since nothing else goes for $8) If it was wild-caught as an adult, or ever housed communally as an adult, there's a good chance it's gravid, and you likely won't be finding out for several months as they have really long gestation and don't show much early on.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
actully that would be the heart it says so in the book called The biology of scorpions
Oops! You're correct. The heart would be above the nerve cord. Sorry, I haven't studied my anatomy in quite a while. :eek:
That being said, with a gravid scorpion with a body full of embryos, the organs are usually very squished together.