Petco S*cks!!

tacomadiver

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok, going to vent here just a little. My cat got out of the house somehow sometime today. Can't find him. So, I drive and walk all around trying to find him. Run to an office supply store to get some ink cartridge refills and print up some fliers. By the time I get some printed and head over, they are closed. They are standing there, and I ask if I can slip my flier through the door so they can post it for me, and it will be up tomorrow first thing. They said no. So, that's fine, two girls afraid of a fairly large guy after dark, I understand that (even though I had be talking to one of their husbands right there while I was waiting to get their attention). I leave, get home look up the number and call, she said the manager took down the lost pets book and they can't post them anymore. Hmmm, seems to me that Petco needs to think a little about their priorities. I always thought that the retail trade was to help customers. Guess I was wrong. I USED to buy my dog and cat food there, as well as alot of other non-living items. Not any more....
Petco, where the pets go....to die!
Thanks
Chris

tacomadiver

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well the little butthead made it home. But I am still peeved at Petco.

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm glad your little butthead came home :D

I'm not a big fan of Petco either, but the closest one to me is not as bad as they get.. and they still have a lost pet bulletin board right near the entrance/exit. :rolleyes:

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
most of them are there to make money. and thats about all they care about. the only thing i can say in their defense is alot of people will post things and when its sold, found or whatever they dont go and take down the notice. just another case of a few irresponsible people ruining a good thing for everyone else.

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I actually love Petco. They are the only chain store that actually takes descent care of my first love, hermit crabs. Members from a H.C. board I post on petitioned the company to re-evaluate their care of their crabs and they drastically changed their care for them. It is the only place I will buy my crabs from because of that and because they sometimes get exotic species mixed in with the Purple Pincher crabs that get harvested from Florida.

Every other store I find seems to treat crabs like toys when they are in fact one of the hardest pets to care for that you can buy. A lot of people don't understand crabs and what they need to survive. Like tarantulas they need to molt to grow and to do this they need about six inches of cocohusk substrate to borrow in to do this. They also need constant sources of protein, calcium, and sea salt water which they can't live without (along with an assortment of fresh fruits and vegies). They can never be put in a KK because they need plenty of space to roam (in the wild they travel up to 30 miles in a single night) and they need a constant 75% humidity and 75-80 degrees heat which means they NEED a glass aquarium (minimum of 20L) and a glass lid.

The big thing is that hermit crabs have been documented living 80+ years, and live up to 30 in captivity. Now think about all the crabs you and your friend have owned that didn't even make it a few months. The problem with stores is that they don't provide the humidity or the heat that they need. When they don't have proper humidity their modified gills literally blister and they slowly suffocate in a PAINFUL death. When stores don't take care of their crabs they are often too far gone to be saved no matter how well you take care of them. I have about 15 crabs from 3 different species (one being an endangered species) and I have only lost 2 that I bought from Petco. While sometimes they do mess up, they will almost always listen to you and take your advice. Every time I came to them with a complaint, they have always fixed what I pointed out. And even if they don't, you can call corporate and they will listen to what you have to say guaranteed. No other chain will do this, so please support Petco because they are good at heart. The real evil here is Petsmart. They're crab tanks are grave yards and they won't even talk to me anymore because I go in every couple weeks to try to help them with their pets.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
most of them are there to make money. and thats about all they care about. the only thing i can say in their defense is alot of people will post things and when its sold, found or whatever they dont go and take down the notice. just another case of a few irresponsible people ruining a good thing for everyone else.
That's a generalization I don't think is fair to make. There are thousands of Petco stores around the country and basing your opinion of one or two stores and the people that work there is unfair. For instance, I work at Petco. By the way, they could lose their job for opening the door after closing time due to Petco safety policy. We can't even take the trash out at night.

tacomadiver

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I didnt' ask to have them open the door, I asked to slip a piece of paper with lost pet ad on it to put in their book. And when I called them up they said that the manager took down the lost pet book. That is what I am complaing about. And this Petco has their hermit crabs in a ten gallon with bark and a bowl of water. So not all Petco's actually care.

tacomadiver

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks, and as an update. I did call Petco and they said that the manager does not have the autority to remove the lost pets book. So I hope that they will remedy the situation with the one in question.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
The pet store where I work provides a useful service. The store owner has been around so long and knows absolutely everyone in the area (which is pretty wide-spread, as this is a rural area). So quite often someone will come in and mention finding a lost dog and based on the area it was found in and the dog description he can often phone up the owner.

Cheers,
Dave