Petco... once more.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Went to Petco to get crickets. Saw a pretty harrowing sight. They had some ball pythons, all in a pretty bad state. Extremely thin and one looked dehydrated, and was making very strange and sick movements. This one was in the worst condition
ugh.JPG
and while the rest were better, it was pretty awful. I've attached a video as well of the snakes.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
This is so sad! The petco near my house had a chameleon one time, and it looked ok (not that I would really know), but the terrarium was really small and I can't imagine there was good airflow, which I know they need (it was a glass terrarium).

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sad to see that, but not all Petco stores are like this. The Petco near me takes excellent care of all their animals and actually provides the right type of enclosures and substrates as well.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Sad to see that, but not all Petco stores are like this. The Petco near me takes excellent care of all their animals and actually provides the right type of enclosures and substrates as well.
That's actually nice to hear. I've only every heard bad things about large franchise pet stores, and had them confirmed in experience.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Very sad to see, it is awful that inspectors don't look in to conditions of animals in chain pet stores, but when it comes to good pet stores (like the small one in my area) inspectors are all over them.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
My poor Brachy was kept in a swamp-like enclosure at my local Petco...which is the only reason I took her home. I wasn't planning on it but she was so miserable looking that I couldn't help it.

The ferrets in the same Petco had a 'poop corner' of their enclosure, which is exactly where the store employees had decided to put their water bottle, so they had to contort themselves in awful positions to be able to drink water and were visibly dehydrated as a result (two adults and three babies) - I had to point it out to them and they moved it immediately. The poor ferrets were crawling and jumping over each other to be able to drink. It's so sad.

flatwormlover11

Arachnopeon
Went to Petco to get crickets. Saw a pretty harrowing sight. They had some ball pythons, all in a pretty bad state. Extremely thin and one looked dehydrated, and was making very strange and sick movements. This one was in the worst condition
View attachment 226421
and while the rest were better, it was pretty awful. I've attached a video as well of the snakes.
i am almost crying right now, i went to petco and saw a savannah monitor in a chinese water dragon setup with blisters and i could see its bones! and when i told someone about it, they just walked away [rude].

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
I refuse to buy animals from petco. I went to check out the Veiled chameleons and hopefully bring on home to surprise my girlfriend whos been wanting one. Well the only chameleon they had was dehydrated and was showing signs of a vitamin deficiency.

Chameleons cant drink standing water as they are unable to see it so you need to mist or have a dripper that drips water onto leaves which they then lap up. Petco had a dripper dripping water directly into a water dish. Sad to say I dont think it would last too much longer.

I brought up the issues with the enclosure and the animal to an employee who said I was wrong and that chameleon is healthy. Because crusty eyes and lips along with cracked and dry skin in normal for any animal.... lol Im sorry I havent done proper research before deciding to spend close to $200 on a proper enclosure and supplies before purchasing said animal....(sarcasm, obviously lol)

End rant.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The problem with big chain stores like Petco is that they attract school kids looking for a cool job working with animals and they rely on those same school kids to train the new employees. That means that the blind are indeed leading the blind.

Esherman81

Arachnoknight
Petco near us doesn't take very good care of much of anything let alone its fish sadly..

RTTB

Arachnoprince
They need to have proper mandatory training on all aspects of pet care in addition to monitoring and compliance checks.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
I hate PETA but... check this video out.

WARNING: Contains gore and animal cruelty. This is one of the reptile mills that supplies Petco

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
That's saddening. I believe reporting these things is the first and best way to bring about change. always try to notify a staff member, they will either listen or disregard you, but at least you will have peace of mind knowing you tried to notify the 'caregivers'. Animal cruelty is disturbing, and starving and allowing an animal to suffer when it's trapped and helpless is even more disgusting. Thank you for sharing and for trying to bring awareness.

user 666

Arachnobaron
Nope. Not hermit crabs.

I haven't been there and I can guarantee that they are abusing the hermit crabs.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
everything about your profile is screaming troll.. lol
The thing with hermits is they are large colony animals that need a ton of space to explore and climb, and they need a good beach environment along with the forest floor/mangrove environment. Petco simply can't supply that it seems

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
Seems to me that a few phone calls to the right places might bring about some changes. People see the name "Petco", most know it's "pet friendly" and sponsors a lot of adoption events, so most assume all of their animals are being well taken care of. A simple email to a Petco higher up, or a few simple emails, regarding instances of seeing Sick and mistreated animals, might "inspire" some changes as well. This is a huge company that is revolved around animals and taking good care of them, their reputation is important to the survival of their business, if the public believes they mistreat, and sell Sick animals, their company will lose money, and furthermore, the respect of pet lovers. So sometimes just letting people higher up the food chain know about these kind of things, will bring about awareness and changes.