Petco... Now offering 25 species of tarantulas. Thoughts and rants

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I just want to know has anyone else beside myself and one other person has actually been in contact with Petco? Called or email Petco?
I called two Petcos. There's another but I have a serious BS limit.
First one assured me that selling venomous animals was against the law and Ts were included in that. Alrighty. THEN he said oh, yeah he has a T. blondi for $150.00. I wanted to tell him she's a T, but I was too disgusted.
Called 2nd one. I talked to fish manager who told me district is sending him slings next week.:eek:
I explained my worries about OW specifically. He got surlier by the second. Finally said he'd talk to district mgr about my concerns. I guess I mentioned the words "lawsuit and kids in ER".
He's an alleged breeder of Ts. So I don't know if I started something or not. I may have to do mercy buys of NW if he messes up.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
They're disgusting and vile and should be closed down.
Brava Vanessa! Those are "Mercenaries" of animals, nothing else.

Only respect, education, love, knowledge should matter, nothing else. People in the animal trade should be wise, respectful, kind at heart people, not "cold at heart" corporations.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
What we say means absolutely nothing to them .
You're absolutely right. But we can choose to spend our hard earned money elsewhere and not support them. We have more power than we think. Give your money to someone who deserves it.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Visiting the Midvale location after work to check out their inventory. I will be prepping an email and calling after my visit.
If your going to the Midvale store stop over Smith's groceries store and buy a 6 pack of Utah beer come on over to my place since I'm only a minute or less away from the two places.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You're absolutely right. But we can choose to spend our hard earned money elsewhere and not support them. We have more power than we think. Give your money to someone who deserves it.
The truth. That's a 'power' we have, but sadly not everyone is aware of that. Too much people complain then throw their cash into that filthy hands people. It's like a sick "Uroboro" (Oroborus).

"Oh, i made a deal, a steal!" "I bought some nice T's at Pet-Dumb... ok, but i rescued those. I rescued those!"

We aren't "free" nor we are living in a "free" world, no matter where, but, hell, no greedy i-love-bucks corporation/s will decide for me. They know jack-poop. Life is too short, IMO, for listening to garbage.

I decide. Not others, or a lazy moment.

And i support the honest, serious, "no shop" mostly (or the very, very, very few who owns one) private breeders.

They were the past/are the present/tomorrow the future of our passion (i hate to call this "hobby", living creatures aren't Blu-Ray, comics etc) they only should be supported, if someone can't/doesn't want to breed.

Let Pet-Dumb and such fail like (muahahahahahah) Blockbuster :)

Last edited:

Praxibetelix

Arachnosquire
Stopped in at the local Petco today. They have 6 "misc tarantula spiderlings $19.99". They were in what looked like bulk spice jars, squarish, plastic, with the black flip-back lid. Each one had 2 silk ivy leaves and a gray foam bottom. I could only see one of the baby Ts, it was small, less than 1/2 inch, and gray in color.

Had my kids with me who are both very young, so I did not ask any questions of the staff. I do not like the label of "misc tarantula" the shopper does not even know what kind it is!! I do not own any Ts, but just from lurking in these T forums, I know this is a bad idea...

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Stopped in at the local Petco today. They have 6 "misc tarantula spiderlings $19.99". They were in what looked like bulk spice jars, squarish, plastic, with the black flip-back lid. Each one had 2 silk ivy leaves and a gray foam bottom. I could only see one of the baby Ts, it was small, less than 1/2 inch, and gray in color.

Had my kids with me who are both very young, so I did not ask any questions of the staff. I do not like the label of "misc tarantula" the shopper does not even know what kind it is!! I do not own any Ts, but just from lurking in these T forums, I know this is a bad idea...
Bad news very sorry about those babies. Sounds like a garage sale. "This box of misc. slings only 19.99. :shifty:

BobBarley

Arachnoprince

Miscellaneous slings. Miscellaneous... MISCELLANEOUS SLINGS!? The stupidity is beyond words.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I'm cringing so hard right now. Tomorrow I'm going to an expo, I'm going to tell every tarantula vendor I can about this.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Sounds like a garage sale. "This box of misc. slings only 19.99. :shifty:
The only differences are: space, money (they have), power, employeers etc because, IMO frankly, a 'garage/garden' sale would be better. More 'genuine' at least :)

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I feel like I made a mistake.. My mother urged me to tell the Atlanta CBS about this, and I complied. I told them everything I could about the situation and about these spiders. I'm now extremely worried they may warp this and cause much more trouble than she perceived. God help this hobby.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
I feel like I made a mistake.. My mother urged me to tell the Atlanta CBS about this, and I complied. I told them everything I could about the situation and about these spiders. I'm now extremely worried they may warp this and cause much more trouble than she perceived. God help this hobby.
...whyyyyy?

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I think it depends on how the news takes it... and warps it. If they take our side, they will probably exaggerate the facts in our favor. If they don't...

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Noooooo

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
C'mon, now, people. Jesus Christ :angelic:

The fact that Pet-Dumb and such IMO shouldn't sell T's (every T's, no matter) is a thing, a sort of "Nightmare" scenario now, for the US hobby is another thing... seriously?

Those P-Dumb people here and there (according to what i've read here during time, so i'm basing with what others said now) sold lots of OW's prior. And nothing happened, no?

A "nice" (way of saying) collection of OW's bites involving E.R, hence Docs etc (just read some of the Bite Reports here) and nothing happened, no? While a single, again, a single of those here would had start the (another) "war" against Spiders, lol.

I'm with you, but i think you people are worrying too much, now. Or... does P-Dumb and Co. found the St.Patrick's Well of OW's Theraphosidae? :)

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Y'all need to take some deep breaths and screw your heads back on.

It's bad that Petco is selling these spiders, but look at this as rationally as possible.

Petco sold WC adult Cyriopagopus lividus as recently as last year to my knowledge. You have to be at least 18 to buy the animals from them. At least now they are selling CB, and the fact that the spiders are slings makes them less appealing. The caresheets have actually improved with this rollout, which, I know, seems barely possible given how bad they still are. I'm sure that untold hundreds of slings will die in those atrocious containers, and untold hundreds more will die once their ignorant owners bring them home, but given how many times I've heard of people throwing away WC rosies that dared to flip on their backs to molt, I doubt the overall death toll will rise any and at least these aren't taken from the wild.

I've been to plenty of expos and seen vendors sell hot Ts to newbies. Some of the big reptile chains will sell anything to anybody, and at an expo your average leo keeper is as apt (if not more so) to fall prey to the impulse purchase as your average dog owner is at Petco. Anyone can already order these animals online, although I agree that the intention required there eliminates many (but obviously not all! Look at any thread started by a newbie about the care of their new LV or OBT or poec for proof) of the impulse purchases by the inexperienced.

Please don't lose your heads and go to the media. All that will do is create an even bigger amount of publicity for Petco, get more daredevil boneheads interested in these "dangerous" animals (since that's what you're all complaining about) and bring a ton of negative attention to the hobby. Talk to Petco, reason with their corporate office if you can get through, boycott them, and KEEP YOUR HEADS DOWN.

Talking to the media was a really bad move. Stop freaking out like a bunch of roaches when the lid to the bin is removed.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Well I got an update from PetCo. I'll be doing a conference call with "Management" to address my concerns. Yay.