PetCo Conference Call Info

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hopefully that will all happen but thinking about it...in reality some big board of directors has told his customer service team to get in touch with tom, dick and harry from a forum that has no effect on sales, marketing or any other aspect of their business to keep a few hobbyists sweet.

I can't see it.
First off, members of the board don't call down to CSR team or manager, employees handle that. That's not their responsibility.

In the age of social media and a 24 news/media cycle the right story/post can capture attention rather quickly.

Since when don't consumers have a direct effect upon marketing, and most importantly sales?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Their large well known "breeder" is Vista pet , which is a division of LLL Reptile.

Later, Tom
I was pretty sure it was LLL. It's the only outfit I can think of that would have the means to do so on a captive bred basis over the long term.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
<Points> Boris started it! :D

But I'll shaddup, it was just a one-liner, not sure I'd call it a hijack. I'll just leave y'all to fighting the man.

lunarae

Arachnobaron
That's awesome Viper, and I totally agree that effort should be given. People will not listen if all you do is complain about an issue and provide no info on how to fix what your complaining about. Helping to educate and share concerns is the only way to do it. It's unfortunate that the angle of the critters well being will never be the focus. But coming at them from the business perspective is the best and only way to go to ensure that they actually listen. The fact that they are willing to get feed back is great. It's a smart move for them as a business, but it's a good sign for the hobby as well. While I'm still new I'd be willing to share any and all I've learned so far as well on the subject.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey viper69, I would ask one the moderators to merge the two threads together. I hate to see the first thread to be forgotten or even this one so I urge you to be in touch with one of the moderators not to keep this seperately. Important information are on both threads.

Lander9021

Arachnosquire
First off, members of the board don't call down to CSR team or manager, employees handle that. That's not their responsibility.

In the age of social media and a 24 news/media cycle the right story/post can capture attention rather quickly.

Since when don't consumers have a direct effect upon marketing, and most importantly sales?
Do you buy your ts from Petco?

Didn't think so.
Therefore not a customer whitch goes back to my previous post about company's and complaints yadda yadda

Walter1

Arachnosquire
No company wants lawsuits. No one in a company wants to be responsible for being the legitimate target of one. In my opinion, it will be that concern that can pre-emptively modify the sort of stock they keep. The approach of that conference call was a good one.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince

Didn't think so.
Therefore not a customer whitch goes back to my previous post about company's and complaints yadda yadda
Lander, you don't seem to understand how things work in the US. in the UK it might be very different, and from your view it is, but companies don't work like you seem to think they do.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
After they hear the information and get time to think about it I'm sure they will revise their plan. Petco doesn't carry highly venomous reptiles, so why would they risk it with highly venomous, notoriously I'll tempered species of therophosidae. It's just not logical, sounds more like LLL just whispering in their ear "yeah these old worlds are great! Look at the colors, look it wants a hug! These will definitely sell" and of course Petco hears the last 4 words.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
People complain about PETA being involved in investigating these stores, but it isn't like Petco hasn't given them plenty of reason to warrant their attention.
These big box stores all follow the exact same business model - every last one of them. And that model is detrimental to the animals and the people.
They offer minimum wage, if that, with no possibility of getting enough hours for employees to get any benefits. As a result, they end up hiring very young people or older people who have two other part time jobs to make ends meet and none of those people have any loyalty or interest in doing well at their job. Employees are disinterested at best and sadistic at worst. Employee turnaround is the highest in any portion of the economy. There is no training being done for animals - the only training that anyone receives is in the best interest of the corporation and the handful of executives making huge wages.
Yes, I am speaking in generalizations, and I do understand that there are exceptions, but those are very few and far between. The vast majority of their employees don't care and they never will because the corporation doesn't give them any reason to care. They know that for every one employee who can't take it anymore and quits - there are ten more lined up to take their place. Everyone is dispensable. And that becomes even more vile when animals are involved.
Places like Petco are the scourge of the earth - offering cheap, poorly made products from third world countries where there are no labour laws, that people don't really need but purchase anyway, at the expense of both the people and the animals.
They are only playing lip service to anyone who voices a concern to them because the business model that they follow has proven, time and again, to be very successful for them. They have insurance, public relations firms, and lawyers on the payroll who will successfully protect their interests regardless of how serious the lawsuit might be. The only route that anyone has to change this is to shop somewhere else. Even if you don't succeed in stopping these scenarios from taking place - at least you can feel good about not contributing to them.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
People complain about PETA being involved in investigating these stores, but it isn't like Petco hasn't given them plenty of reason to warrant their attention.
These big box stores all follow the exact same business model - every last one of them. And that model is detrimental to the animals and the people.
They offer minimum wage, if that, with no possibility of getting enough hours for employees to get any benefits. As a result, they end up hiring very young people or older people who have two other part time jobs to make ends meet and none of those people have any loyalty or interest in doing well at their job. Employees are disinterested at best and sadistic at worst. Employee turnaround is the highest in any portion of the economy. There is no training being done for animals - the only training that anyone receives is in the best interest of the corporation and the handful of executives making huge wages.
Yes, I am speaking in generalizations, and I do understand that there are exceptions, but those are very few and far between. The vast majority of their employees don't care and they never will because the corporation doesn't give them any reason to care. They know that for every one employee who can't take it anymore and quits - there are ten more lined up to take their place. Everyone is dispensable. And that becomes even more vile when animals are involved.
Places like Petco are the scourge of the earth - offering cheap, poorly made products from third world countries where there are no labour laws, that people don't really need but purchase anyway, at the expense of both the people and the animals.
They are only playing lip service to anyone who voices a concern to them because the business model that they follow has proven, time and again, to be very successful for them. They have insurance, public relations firms, and lawyers on the payroll who will successfully protect their interests regardless of how serious the lawsuit might be. The only route that anyone has to change this is to shop somewhere else. Even if you don't succeed in stopping these scenarios from taking place - at least you can feel good about not contributing to them.
And here is that "corporate America" rant we've been waiting for.
The exact one that was specifically not asked for.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't understand you guys. There has been many times to some of you want to stick with original threads now we're going back and forth from one thread to another. It's flipping annoying. Thanks a lot mi amigo! viper69.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
And here is that "corporate America" rant we've been waiting for.
The exact one that was specifically not asked for.
Coming from a Canadian, no less. You want to continue to bury your head in the sand - then all the power to you. But it isn't helping anyone and you're only kidding yourself if you think that your meager attempts are getting through to anyone interested in listening.
There is a good reason why these big box stores don't do well in Canada, and those who do stay do not realize the profits that they do south of the border, and I couldn't be happier.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Didn't think so.
Exactly, you didn't think, you assumed. In the past I have bought exotics, Ts included, from big box stores.

Lander's you are the only Negative Nancy in this thread. How do you think change EVER happens? You have A LOT to learn about life, society and how change happens.

Why do you think there are seat belts in cars, at least in the USA? It's not because the car companies thought it was a smart idea. It's because one person decided cars should be safer, and 1 person took the big 3 automakers here in the USA, and succeeded.

With your attitude,it seems you would leave it up to companies to change on their own. That's a poor perspective.

From a business standpoint it's also a flawed model. Everyone knows that companies that are consumer-oriented succeed, and companies that become or are product-oriented ultimately fail. If you don't understand the difference, look it up and we can talk some more if you like.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

I really didn't put this thread up here for people to bash corp America with rants. That was done in the other thread, please keep it there or post your own thread. I'd be happy to discuss what you wrote in another thread, not here.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I stand with Viper69 and what he did (without entering into my personal society/politics views... i liked and i agree with VanessaS post, even if i have reasons to believe that we have, lol, few in common in that sense) for the US hobby.

Just like what happened here in Italy after 2003. Hell, seriously, i couldn't think about a better WIN for an Arachnid community. Not against a chain or such, but against a state, a nation, and politicians.

The battle was long, yet they were forced to make a step behind, and now there's authorized fairs -- just like Marbach, uh... just more little :) where you can buy everything (if requested prior or available, of course) save for, and really, "Hot" ones. But that's fair enough, no? While in some Germany Lander, the "heaven" of T's, discussions about the Ban of (genus) Poecilotheria happened.

People less than King Leonida "300" Spartans, involving animals that doesn't exactly moves cash, now, succeeded... well, that's a nice one i say, and a thing able to give strenght to others (more in numbers, lol, like you guys in the US are) for win.

No one will protect Theraphosidae save for us, i guarantee you that.

Follow Viper69 i say.