Pet Store Prices... Make No Sense.

BlujayOnTheWing

Arachnopeon
My local 'mom and pop' pet store stocks tarantulas on a pretty regular basis- usually loads of rosehairs and then a handful of other assorted species. Right now they've got a B. Smithi sling that's maybe .75 inches, and it's going for a hundred bucks. Is that... normal for pet shops? It seems like at that price it's just going to sit there until it grows up; someone casually interested in Ts would shy away from the pricetag and go for the ol' cheap standby G Rosea, and a collector/enthusiast would know enough to find one of similar size online for much cheaper. At least, I can't imagine spending so much when I know I can get the same thing for a lot less... even taking into consideration shipping, waiting, and the risk of DOA. I dunno, kinda weird *shrug*

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A LPS here had a maybe 1 inch rose hair for $49.99

To top it off it was in a huge exo terra enclosure with no substrate. Just a carpet.
That's for a different type of thread though haha.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pet stores, as I understand it, pay about what we do for T's, maybe a little more. In order to make a profit, they have to sell the T for a great deal more than what they paid for it.

So, it sucks for us, but that's the way of idiots at pet stores that, rather than going through a dealer who will cut them some slack; just jack up the prices and keep their animals poorly.

/rant :barf: :wall:

apopli

Arachnopeon
Fun bit of info from the many years I spent working at various pet stores... Markups for just about everything at a lot of pet stores that carry animals is often close to 100% (for example, normal phase corn snakes at one of the stores I worked at sold for $100.00, but if I went to an expo I could buy one for $10-$20). Reason is to cover the cost of caring for the animals while still turning a profit.

So ya. Not that unusual for animals to seem expensive!

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
IDK, I have a 4-4.5" Avic Avic here that I was thinking about picking up. It's priced at $35 bucks and the enclosure is actually very proper for the species. Seems like a pretty darn good deal to me.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I also worked at a pet store once upon a time long ago. Mark-ups were, as apopli says, about 100%. One thing to keep in mind is that many shops, especially the mom-and-pop ones, may not have good suppliers. An unknowledgeable shop owner may not have a clue as to the real market value of a particular species of tarantula and could get suckered by an unscrupulous supplier into thinking a 1" rosie will sell in a minute at a mere $100. If you want to do you local pet shop a favor, point them to this website. They'll be able to see what real prices should be, and might pick up some good ideas on how to care for the spiders. For that matter, they might even be able to throw some business to some of the breeders and dealers who sell things through this site.

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
i have seen a 3 inch avic avic for 42 dollars and a 4 inch MM OBT for $59.99. pet stores think that they can get a cool tarantula for cheap and then sell expensive because they can trick noobs.

k2power

Arachnoknight
There is a local pet shop here that has mostly good prices on animals. for example

Subadult Cameroon red - 35.00 (now upstairs in my house)
Adult rosehairs - 22.00 (now upstairs in my house after trading cuban treeforgs for credit)
Pink toes - 25.00
Emperor scorpions - 17.00
flat rock scorpions - 35.00 (maybe high on this)
cobalt blue - 55.00 (high but it died there)

Decent prices but they don't have a great selection: 3 pink toes, 5 rosehairs.

VickyChaiTea

Arachnosquire
It also heavily depends on what they paid for it. They do mark them up as much as possible, which is why they only buy them for cheap from a wholesaler or local breeder.

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can somebody buy me some of those cheap A.avics and ship them to me? hahaha... I seriously want a bigger sized one. The one I had died :( I never see them for sale either.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just wait until they get a T and either mislabel it or not know what it is and sell it cheaper than what's it's really worth. Happened to me a couple times.

BlujayOnTheWing

Arachnopeon
I get that you can expect to pay more from a pet store... it only makes sense, since the pet store is a middle-man. But it's especially odd that they have all their Ts at flat rate per species... at least, I think that's odd. My B Smithi was bought there as a young adult for the same price (which makes a lot more sense and is not at all a bad deal). All the G Roseas are always $20, and they have them in and out at all stages of life all the time. There are three or four young A Avicularias that have been there essentially since birth and they've always been the same price (don't remember how much at the moment, only that it hasn't changed). It's like they know the basic general market price for the species, but don't take into account that it fluctuates not only by species but also by size and age (and gender, but I wouldn't expect a small pet store to be that involved, which is fine). Anyway, I would think if the markup is THAT much to make a profit (selling a sling for three or four times the amount a collector could expect to pay online) that it wouldn't be worth it to stock expensive species, since they wouldn't be able to move them quickly.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Standard in any industry is called keystoning. This is marking up the supply by doubling the cost. If it cost the store $50 wholesale, it's marked at $100. Some places go so far as double and a half... therefore $125 for that $50 item.

I picked up a Pink Zebra Beauty at the local store in Waxahachie yesterday - on wood chips with a dry waterdish... They paid $21.95 for her. I know, the girl couldn't find the T in the inventory, had to call the manager, and was told to do the math....(We talked about discounting the T anyway, and the ass't manager was very kind).

So unless the T has been there for a while and is discounted... the prices at LPS are going to be higher than from your local supplier.

Marga

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not all pet stores as bad at pricing. The one I sometimes buy from usually has reasonally priced stuff, pretty sure the person over it may actually be involved in the hobby.

I paid $25 for my 2-3" horned baboon, $15 for a 3" avic, there was an E. Murinus (5", most likely female) for $40, G roseas for $20. All in plastic containers with a water dish with water and several inches of peat.

Now not all their prices are fair. There was an "Brazilian red and white"( forget what this is the common name for) 1/4" sling for almost $70.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not all pet stores as bad at pricing. The one I sometimes buy from usually has reasonally priced stuff, pretty sure the person over it may actually be involved in the hobby.

I paid $25 for my 2-3" horned baboon, $15 for a 3" avic, there was an E. Murinus (5", most likely female) for $40, G roseas for $20. All in plastic containers with a water dish with water and several inches of peat.

Now not all their prices are fair. There was an "Brazilian red and white"( forget what this is the common name for) 1/4" sling for almost $70.
I wish I could get an E. murinus for $40 or a Ceratogyrus for $25.

Brazilian red and white is Nhandu chromatus.

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I love the lps here in utah, if you cant find a T at one you will find it at another. one of them over here you can buy P.metallica slings 150.
the only species i have not seen available are M.balfouri.
i just want to brag hehe because im going to be picking up a GBB sling 40$
soon at one of my LPS.

but all of them have awkward pricing.
in one store i can find a Avic.avic sling for 42$ but at the same time buy a B.smithi at 1 inch for 20$ at the same store.

Versi*JP*Color

Arachnoknight
I love the lps here in utah, if you cant find a T at one you will find it at another. one of them over here you can buy P.metallica slings 150.
the only species i have not seen available are M.balfouri.
i just want to brag hehe because im going to be picking up a GBB sling 40$
soon at one of my LPS.

but all of them have awkward pricing.
in one store i can find a Avic.avic sling for 42$ but at the same time buy a B.smithi at 1 inch for 20$ at the same store.
Pets N such or Marks Ark?

I love Pets N such!!
Got my 6.5 inch female G.pulchripes for 70 $$$$$!!!!!
But then they had a 1inch Brocklehursti for 75!!!:8o
Awkward pricing is right.

Other's I want there:
A 8in LP for 200$. Not sure if it got sold at the show or not?
8in X.immanis 500$ Not gonna pay 500 $ though.
5in GBB 200$

Going there today to pick up a few cages:D

madamoisele

Arachnosquire
Actually, the guy at Pangaea Pets here in Florida has very reasonable prices AND he's a T-guy, so he knows what he's dealing with.

$120 - 5" B. Smithi, female
$50 - Desert Blonde, female
$10 - 3" Pinktoe
$30 - Cobalt Blue (I still can't believe this gorgeous lady sells for so cheap!)
2 free Trinidad Chevron slings (and he even replaced one of them that didn't make it)
1 free Haitian Brown Bird Eater (about an inch now)

From the neighboring pet store around the corner, Hogtown Reptiles, I got my 6-7" Chaco Golden Knee (presumed female) for $60.

All in all - it's cheaper for me to buy them from these guys than from the Boards. Except when I can't find something, like the Curly Hair (looking forward to getting my shipment from Renee this week).

I am looking for a cheap G. Pulchra - but that takes a LOT of window shopping and patience, they're so pricey!

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pets N such or Marks Ark?

I love Pets N such!!
Got my 6.5 inch female G.pulchripes for 70 $$$$$!!!!!
But then they had a 1inch Brocklehursti for 75!!!:8o
Awkward pricing is right.

Other's I want there:
A 8in LP for 200$. Not sure if it got sold at the show or not?
8in X.immanis 500$ Not gonna pay 500 $ though.
5in GBB 200$

Going there today to pick up a few cages:D

i don't go marks ark unless it is for slings or crickets. stay away from their reptiles if you can. i dont want to say too many bad things about that place, but buyer beware.

pets and such is one the places i refering to.
if you are looking for some good lps
pets and such for sure

living safari- they are new and have limited selection but no rose hairs. the staff doesn't know much about T's but they will learn if you tell them. and they are very friendly. their T's are pretty pricey but they are very healthy and active. the pricetag is worth it considering customer service and a healthy T.

Rockstar pets- they have p.metallica and gbb and other hard to find spiders. good pricing but it is way out and has a cramped store. but they will meet up with you in salt lake city and work with you. and friendly staff

all three of the stores i mentioned will order a spider for you if they dont have it. go to living safari if you have a chance, it is a gorgeous store and atmosphere. and they are attempting to breed roaches as feeders.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
My local 'mom and pop' pet store stocks tarantulas on a pretty regular basis- usually loads of rosehairs and then a handful of other assorted species. Right now they've got a B. Smithi sling that's maybe .75 inches, and it's going for a hundred bucks. Is that... normal for pet shops? It seems like at that price it's just going to sit there until it grows up; someone casually interested in Ts would shy away from the pricetag and go for the ol' cheap standby G Rosea, and a collector/enthusiast would know enough to find one of similar size online for much cheaper. At least, I can't imagine spending so much when I know I can get the same thing for a lot less... even taking into consideration shipping, waiting, and the risk of DOA. I dunno, kinda weird *shrug*
That's nothing. 2-inch bearded dragons, 70 bucks plus tax. 3 inch guaranteed male Rose Hair, 50 bucks.