Pet store H mac....

ByMennen

Arachnosquire
Well it happened, I've been hesitant about stepping into old worlds, today while getting crickets I saw they had an H. mac.

In an effort to stop someone from buying an old world with no knowledge I decided to adopt it, after explaining to the guy all of the tarantulas quirks, I offered to get it from it's container.

"Thank you but I got it" replied the gentleman... Apparently my words fell on deaf ears, tarantula bolts, he reaches in hand first TAG!

The exact thing I was trying to avoid by buying this tarantula, happened in front of my eyes. 😪

Needless to say, the employee is having a bad day. The tarantula is now in it's new home without incident (provided it didn't lose a fang or two) Hopefully this is the closest I get to a bite report!

Just thought I'd share with the people who might have seen it coming.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Congratulations on your new babba and wow what a lesson to go with it .... I can only say I am glad she(🤞) ended up with someone who knows the needs and can respect how fast these t's can be.

Smotzer

Arachnoemperor
Ooh man that employee is surely going to replay that moment over and over….amazes me stores that hold Heteroscodra and have employees totally unaware of safe practices or the risks. I mean I don’t wish it on him but reaching in hands first in a H. maculata enclosure he almost deserves to learn that lesson the hard way for the careless disregard. Ouch…. And I thought I was having a bad day ha!

ByMennen

Arachnosquire
Ooh man that employee is surely going to replay that moment over and over….amazes me stores that hold Heteroscodra and have employees totally unaware of safe practices or the risks. I mean I don’t wish it on him but reaching in hands first in a H. maculata enclosure he almost deserves to learn that lesson the hard way for the careless disregard. Ouch…. And I thought I was having a bad day ha!
Exactly! I've only seen them with T albos and Avics. Old world in there threw me for a loop. I talk to the manager in there a couple times a week, was thinking now would be the perfect time to explain to him what tarantulas to avoid at the very least! I successfully talked him out of keeping Avics, haven't had them in there in months. I don't like seeing tarantulas in pet stores, especially arboreals. Glad the dude (manager) is somewhat open suggestions.

Hoping the employee isn't too miserable, but miserable enough to create a lasting memory.

Awesome. Hope they crapped their pants.
This particular employee seems almost shy, very quiet, mumbles if he has to talk to you. Not today! Clear as a bell after that, nothing polite enough to repeat here😅

ByMennen

Arachnosquire
Oh also, their prices are a little strange to me.
Avics $50.
T albo $80
H mac $50
Why is the T albo so much?!?

HeartBum

Arachnobaron
Oh bless him... It's pretty bad that he wasn't made aware of the fact that they had medically significant animals in their store, and received the correct training to deal with them. If he racks up any medical bills should he end up in need of some sort of pain treatment, would the store be held liable I wonder?

Also, if they're that ignorant, what if a child/teenager asked to hold the T and this had happened to them? Pretty scary thought.

ByMennen

Arachnosquire
Oh bless him... It's pretty bad that he wasn't made aware of the fact that they had medically significant animals in their store, and received the correct training to deal with them. If he racks up any medical bills should he end up in need of some sort of pain treatment, would the store be held liable I wonder?

Also, if they're that ignorant, what if a child/teenager asked to hold the T and this had happened to them? Pretty scary thought.
Store is definitely held liable to my understanding. If it happens in the store they are supposed to file an incident report, then go from there.
I'm not too sure how it works from there though. Not sure if it's reimbursed or you just get a boat load of their info.

NMTs

Arachno-afflicted
Arachnosupporter +
Store is definitely held liable to my understanding. If it happens in the store they are supposed to file an incident report, then go from there.
I'm not too sure how it works from there though. Not sure if it's reimbursed or you just get a boat load of their info.
The store would have to carry worker's comp insurance, so they'd take care of all the medical bills. I'm assuming this would qualify as an on-the-job injury, just like if he cut his hand with a box cutter while unpacking dog food, or injured his back lifting a big aquarium...

ByMennen

Arachnosquire
The store would have to carry worker's comp insurance, so they'd take care of all the medical bills. I'm assuming this would qualify as an on-the-job injury, just like if he cut his hand with a box cutter while unpacking dog food, or injured his back lifting a big aquarium...
Yes sir/ma'am.
I meant to say I was explaining if a customer were to be injured. I would imagine it plays out similar to workers non-comp.
I blew me knee out once inside a store, had to fill out an incident report but I didn't seek medical treatment so I can't speak what happens after you file the report lol.

NMTs

Arachno-afflicted
Arachnosupporter +
Yes sir/ma'am.
I meant to say I was explaining if a customer were to be injured. I would imagine it plays out similar to workers non-comp.
I blew me knee out once inside a store, had to fill out an incident report but I didn't seek medical treatment so I can't speak what happens after you file the report lol.
Oh gotcha. Yeah, if a customer was injured they would have to probably use the business liability insurance to cover it. People (business owners and everyone else) complain about all the different types of insurance that you have to pay for and maintain, but when something like that happens and you need the coverage, it can make the difference between moving on or going bankrupt...

*also, my dad was a "sir", I'm just a guy... 😆

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
sucker don't want no help, sucker don't get no help

why listening to experience matters

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Oh also, their prices are a little strange to me.
Avics $50.
T albo $80
H mac $50
Why is the T albo so much?!?
Depends. Slings? Unsexed juvenile specimens? Adult females or already sperm-webbed males therefore next to the end of life?

In general, all the former 'Brachy' costs more than a cheap as heck, no matter sex and size, S. calceatum, P. murinus, H. maculata and so forth.

Without knowing the size and sex and leaving out for a moment the fact that 'pet stores' and T's is a bad combination, and if those T's aren't slings, well... those prices doesn't seems too absurd to me considering that in the U.S. T's are more priced than Europe.

LucN

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow ! Unfortunate that that employee had to learn the hard way. I would never, ever reach into any venomous animal enclosure with my bare hands, regardless of venom potency. It's asking for a bite or sting, which this poor fella got. And he got it from one of the worst as far as medically-significant bites go. Hopefully, that employee recovers and learns to use proper tools and care from here on out. Also, the Pet Shop manager is at fault for not researching the species prior. If a child were to get bitten, that Pet Store would be in serious trouble.

ByMennen

Arachnosquire
Depends. Slings? Unsexed juvenile specimens? Adult females or already sperm-webbed males therefore next to the end of life?

In general, all the former 'Brachy' costs more than a cheap as heck, no matter sex and size, S. calceatum, P. murinus, H. maculata and so forth.

Without knowing the size and sex and leaving out for a moment the fact that 'pet stores' and T's is a bad combination, and if those T's aren't slings, well... those prices doesn't seems too absurd to me considering that in the U.S. T's are more priced than Europe.
Smallest I've seen them with is a 2.5-3" Mostly sub-adults/adults, all unsexed but their very knowledgeable employees love guessing the sex!

The T albo is in the back because "she's sick" apparently molted two weeks ago but I've still never seen it.
I'm just surprised the T albo is so expensive given their availability.
He did mention in the past they can get a "fire leg" for $130. So you're definitely right there.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnobaron
Buy from reputable online breeders/dealers. Pet stores are selling above dealer price to make a profit.

The exotic store by me where I get supplies once in a while are ridiculously overpriced on their tarantulas.