Pet Shop Jerks

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I took a few spiders to a local shop today. I've sold them many spiders in the past, and they usually love what I bring. They always give me 70% on females and 50% or less on males (depending on what they currently have). The smallest spiders they accept are 1". I'm getting back my hairless rat on Friday and needed a large cage for her, so I took three spiders to trade for store credit. A 5" male Rosehair, 3" male desert blonde, and a 2" female Sri Lankan Ornamental.

The owner told me I was insane to think of such policies. He does not buy ANY male tarantulas (they bough four from me last month, and all I but FROM them are males). He also said the ornamental was 2" too small for him to take (which would have made it an inch longer than the desert blonde). His advice? "Next time lie to me and tell me they're females. Then I'll buy them."

I dislike people :mad:

-Bryan

MVPCrawford

Arachnopeon
Rats are the most under-rated of all pets, in my opinion. They are sooo friendly and fun :) I can't have them because of my dog...

MORBIUS

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Makes you wonder about some peoples bussiness policies doesn't it.
MORBIUS
:?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
It just goes to show that it depends on who you talk to. The only place localy that I can buy any sort of arachnid is just like that. When I first enter I take a look around and if some people are working I know I will have to pay outrageous retail prices and won't be able to ask any questions. If other people are working, I know that I can not only get a deal on the display specimens but also I can go into the basement and see what's not on display. The same goes for their reptiles -- only it is a different set of people (with some overlapping).

Cheers,
Dave

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
It was the owner on each occation, though. I think he's bipolar ;)

-Bryan

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Bipolar?! Sounds like he cornered the market on it. Or maybe he has a twin brother? I mean that seriously since there are twin sisters who work at a local grocery store but rarely the same shift and I was quite confused at first, especially when I'd start talking to the one about something that I'd talked to the other one about a few days previously :8o

And Dave - I completely understand the situation you described. There is a pet store here (which I don't go to anymore) where the owner has no prices on any of the animals. I wondered why at first, then saw him in action a couple of times. He actually prices the animal according to how much he percieves he can get out of the customer!! He finally did it to me one day and that was it for me. I had called the day before to see if he had any giant millipedes and he did and the price he quoted me was $18.00. I went the next day to check them out just in case they were something really huge that was worth it. He had a "show" going on - a free demonstation of exotic pets for the local school kids and their parents which was to teach parents and kids alike what to expect from such pets and how to care for them. So guess what the price on the millipedes was THAT day (they were a featured show animal)? $29.99 !! I'm with you Bryan - I really dislike some people :mad:

Gail