Pet-safe potting soil and peat moss brands?

AAO

Arachnosquire
I’ve decided to start mixing my own substrate since coir is proving difficult to keep from molding. I’m nervous about using potting soil though because chemicals are so prevalent. What are some brands that are safe to use in vivs?

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I have been using the Premier brand of peat and similar three cubic foot bales for years. No problems. I use it to creating potting mix and in landscaping. Super cheap.
You can get the stuff anywhere. Cheap as dirt. Lol

AAO

Arachnosquire
I have been using the Premier brand of peat and similar three cubic foot bales for years. No problem.
You can get the stuff anywhere. Cheap as dirt. Lol
Thanks a million!! Do you mix it with anything else or use just that?

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Thanks a million!! Do you mix it with anything else or use just that?
I usually sift it a little and use it straight. Sometimes mixed with just a little vermiculite.
I even use it for surinam roaches.
Best advice is to pack the hell out of it for spiders.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
If you keep it moist, you're still likely to run into mold, though..
Ventilation is key, no matter what you use.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Any 100% compressed bail of peat is safe. Like dom said they sell 3cu ft bales l. and if you’re just using it for substrate for T enclosures it will last you your whole keeping career, it goes along way for how cheap it is! , I use it for the organic component to my soil mixes for my caudiciform plants as well.

for any additional compoments as wellbuy them each 100% pure.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
Sometimes "trusted" brands can change or something bad gets in them. I heard of someone that used the same soil for a long time then it suddenly killed some t's. You can try the "cricket" test that some people do by putting some crickets on the soil to see if they are okay.

Peat always seems to be a good option, though I think some plants may need something more when it comes to nutrients. It depends on what you are keeping. Mixing in some leaf litter is a good option imo. I ended up mixing some cocoa fibre and leaf litter and kept it moist with springtails and I use that as a bit of a starter.