• The Review forums are closed to new reviews.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reviews.

Information on how to use our new Reviews section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

pet extreame,turlock ca.

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
i stopped by this place right as i walk in they had a shark in a tank i was like right on went to the reptile dept and they had everything well set up i was like cool then i thought to myself where are the tarantulas as that was what i was comming in for,so i ask the lady heyy i called about a tarantula she was like yeah right over there she guided me and i couldnt believe my eyes they had these poor things on a table in plastic containers with sand out in the open where anyone could put there hands in the spiders look'd sick i was totally disgusted i look'd for the manager to yell at him or to ask what they where thinking but he or she wasnt there this has to be the worst i never thought id say this but petco is a heaven to tarantulas and pet extreame is a hell they should no longer be allowed to sell tarantulas,unless they improve there living envirements and put them where kids hands cant so easly reach inside!

GrammostolaGuy

Arachnopeon
Pet Extreme: Turlock, California

My first time here left a very bad impression, I must admit. The poorly setup reptile department, with a scattering of cages here and there INSIDE of other tanks is infuriating. Within a large vision cage containing several rowdy iguanas, were two critter keepers, one containing a young female G. rosea, the other a small A. avic. The rosea was being kept on gravel, and was hunkering without a hide under blazing lights, with iguanas running past and startling it. the pinktoe was in an unkempt cage, piled high with dead crickets and two seperate molts that were starting to decompose into the gravel it was living on. I never plan on buying anything at this establishment, for I refuse to contribute towards this ignorance.

Beth-Tex

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It is a shame isn't it, how these creatures are kept? I was there the last time I visited in Calif (Nov '07) & even brought our dog along for the long trip as she is an excellent traveler. The store, for the most part, is a wonderful store as far as supplies goes but does lack quite a bit in the reptile department. I did talk with one of the store employees about the keeping of the reptiles & he did agree with me but stated that the manager wants things the way it was & would not listen to reason. The store employee needed his job (college student) so did not want to upset the apple cart, so to speak.

The manager, in turn, blames the head office for the state of the reptile keeping, so that was no help either. Since I do not live there but do visit often, I plan on talking to them about the state of conditions that the animals are kept in every time I visit. I keep telling them that it is not a good impression on folks who come from out of state to view their highly advertised store, only to find that the supplies part is great but the living arrangements of the critters is dismal. It seems that caring is just not in the books for them.

Beth

sntcruzan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Fyi

You can put in a formal complaint to the ASPCA,if you wanted to document it.