pesticides and such?

cobrajuicy

Arachnopeon
I've kept spiders, both true and tarantulas for quite a few years, but in the last year or so I made a move and rehomed my collection.
Now in a much more tropical climate than the one I was in before, but I'm settled in and I want to get a little house tarantula.
Before I do that I have some questions for anyone who has a similar climate to the New Orleans area.

I'm familiar with keeping the environment of a vivarium all nice and super livable
my concern is :
I am worried about pesticides!
Around my neighborhood termites are definitely a thing and the property is regularly maintained to keep them out. Should I be worried about outside environmental control, like pesticides? I never used any myself here, nor in my previous state. I never had any issues and figured I'd rather be safe than sorry.
I'm certain someone has some knowledge on any precautions I could take for a new eight legged baby.

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
I've kept spiders, both true and tarantulas for quite a few years, but in the last year or so I made a move and rehomed my collection.
Now in a much more tropical climate than the one I was in before, but I'm settled in and I want to get a little house tarantula.
Before I do that I have some questions for anyone who has a similar climate to the New Orleans area.

I'm familiar with keeping the environment of a vivarium all nice and super livable
my concern is :
Around my neighborhood termites are definitely a thing and the property is regularly maintained to keep them out. Should I be worried about outside environmental control, like pesticides? I never used any myself here, nor in my previous state. I never had any issues and figured I'd rather be safe than sorry.
I'm certain someone has some knowledge on any precautions I could take for a new eight legged baby.
When you say "house tarantula" do you mean a free roaming one?
I've always had pesticides sprayed in my homes and I've never had any issues, but many factors go into that, of course.
I have never had my home sprayed while the animals were inside, and I don't introduce anything to their environment that has been in contact with pesticide.
I haven't kept animals while living in a hot and humid environment, but I'm sure as long as you have a relatively normal climate controlled home, you'll be fine.

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've always had pesticides sprayed in my homes and I've never had any issues, but many factors go into that, of course.
I have never had my home sprayed while the animals were inside, and I don't introduce anything to their environment that has been in contact with pesticide.
I haven't kept animals while living in a hot and humid environment, but I'm sure as long as you have a relatively normal climate controlled home, you'll be fine.
Lets use an assumption and assume the OP has some intelligence and is not literally referring to a 'house' tarantula
I recommend the OP keep the T in the bedroom if worried

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
Lets use an assumption and assume the OP has some intelligence and is not literally referring to a 'house' tarantula
I recommend the OP keep the T in the bedroom if worried
Whoa there, I wasn't calling anyone unintelligent for having/wanting a free roaming tarantula. I've seen it done in greenhouses before and it was quite interesting to me. I wasn't trying to ridicule anyone with my question, I was asking to clarify intent.

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Whoa there, I wasn't calling anyone unintelligent for having/wanting a free roaming tarantula. I've seen it done in greenhouses before and it was quite interesting to me. I wasn't trying to ridicule anyone with my question, I was asking to clarify intent.
I understand, but i also want whatever youre smoking

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
I understand, but i also want whatever youre smoking
It would be nice if my nature could be explained by drug use, honestly.
I have been searching for an old thread on a website I used to frequent, but it must have been lost after the site went down the first time. The thread had an example of a free roam tarantula. It was a C. versicolor (Avicularia at the time) in a green house. It was introduced there as a spiderling, and as far as I know, may still be living there. I've heard of other similar stories, but that one I had proof of. After seeing that, I became interested in one day doing that myself. Although I do think a literal house tarantula would be strange depending on one's living conditions.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

my concern is :

What's a house tarantula? Sounds like a free roaming T to me, identical to house gecko.

I've lived in places where ants were sprayed for. If the spray is localized to base boards, it's not necessarily an issue all the time. Mind you, anything is possible, no guarantees.

However, I know a board member whose neighbor sprayed some stuff on their lawn, and one or two of his Ts started acting odd. I don't recall if they had any losses.

cobrajuicy

Arachnopeon
oh gosh, nooo
I meant as in, making a house feel like home by getting my collection back up. Maybe if tarantulas were sized up significantly that would be an interesting idea

I suppose I'm just hesitant because it's the courtyard and porch area of a smaller apartment building, so I worry about tracking anything inside. Am I being a bit too vigilant?

cobrajuicy

Arachnopeon
Really? That seems like a very bad idea to me.