Pesticide Sprayer

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Okay, hear me out.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-1-Gal-Economy-Sprayer-1501HDX/203809533

I want to use this to water my tarantulas. Granted, it's a "multipurpose" sprayer, but it's of course designed to have some kind of chemical in it. But I'm sick and tired of using syringes - finding ones large enough is a pain, refilling them constantly is a bigger pain, and they go bad pretty quickly. I'm done with them. I want to be able to use this sprayer, as it has both a stream and a mist setting. Time for the cricket test.

Here's what I did. I put a small amount of distilled water into the sprayer, sloshed it around and agitated it quite a bit, and then let it sit overnight. Then I went ahead and added water crystals, the same stuff crickets and roaches use to drink (the exact stuff that I water my roaches with). Then I put those crystals in a container with a handful small crickets. As of this morning, roughly 12 hours after the test started, all crickets are still alive. I'm going to leave them until tonight to be sure, but it looks like I'm good to go.

What are you opinions on the matter? I'm still gun shy for obvious reasons, but if this test passes, then I don't see an issue. I'm half tempted to dry the container out, catch a house spider, and put it in the jug overnight to see if it lives.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Okay, hear me out.

I want to use this to water my tarantulas. Granted, it's a "multipurpose" sprayer, but it's of course designed to have some kind of chemical in it. But I'm sick and tired of using syringes - finding ones large enough is a pain, refilling them constantly is a bigger pain, and they go bad pretty quickly. I'm done with them. I want to be able to use this sprayer, as it has both a stream and a mist setting. Time for the cricket test.

Here's what I did. I put a small amount of distilled water into the sprayer, sloshed it around and agitated it quite a bit, and then let it sit overnight. Then I went ahead and added water crystals, the same stuff crickets and roaches use to drink (the exact stuff that I water my roaches with). Then I put those crystals in a container with a handful small crickets. As of this morning, roughly 12 hours after the test started, all crickets are still alive. I'm going to leave them until tonight to be sure, but it looks like I'm good to go.

What are you opinions on the matter? I'm still gun shy for obvious reasons, but if this test passes, then I don't see an issue. I'm half tempted to dry the container out, catch a house spider, and put it in the jug overnight to see if it lives.
Dude, just get one of these. They were designed for water.
http://www.isoaker.com/Armoury/Analysis/1993/SS300_images/iS_supersoaker_ss300_01.jpg

But seriously, I don't see an issue with it. Just because it was made to be used for chemicals doesn't mean that it has chemicals. Rinse it, fill it, spray the container's contents on them crickets and it should be ready to go.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Unless you put some chemicals into it, I cannot see any issues using it (except for it being big and a little unnecessary IMO).

magicmed

Arachnobaron
No issues at all bud. I'm actually pretty familiar with those, we used to use them for spray a seriously high percentage hydrogen peroxide mixed with HCl to kill mold under houses. Well...it killed everything under the house honestly. But the sprayers themselves work quite well with just water, we actually had one we bought new for I think 10 bucks at ace, rinsed it out a tad and used it just for water to spray ourselves down after a couple hours under a house in a haz mat suit. I'd just give it a rinse to get any production chemicals off there and you're good to go :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Okay, hear me out.

Confused here, what does its intended purpose have to do with anything?

I've seen plenty of people use these for Ts.

I know of a breeder that uses a mistking mister system hooked up to a bunch of T containers in serial as well.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I use hand spray bottles, I would never even consider using syringes. To me, hand sprayers are very easy to use; I can set one down anywhere and grab it when I want. I keep a couple in my spider room. I set them on mist for slings, and fine steam to fill small water bowls. A tank sprayer is too big and clumsy for me.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You all eased my mind quite a bit, thank you. I'm nothing if not a bit overly cautious. I'm looking forward to getting rid of these darn syringes.

As for the size of the thing, I've got plenty of room on these shelves. So that's not a huge worry for me.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
You all eased my mind quite a bit, thank you. I'm nothing if not a bit overly cautious. I'm looking forward to getting rid of these darn syringes.

As for the size of the thing, I've got plenty of room on these shelves. So that's not a huge worry for me.
I'm the same way, remember my rehousing with a cold thread? Haha. It just shows you care, and that you are diligent.

I was actually at ace the other day picking up a pool filter and noticed they had a smaller version as well (probably about 6" tall) I don't know if it had a spray and stream setting though.

lunarae

Arachnobaron
I got one of these from walmart for 6 bucks months ago and I've been using it for all of my watering needs. XD It's harmless and safe until you put chemicals in it. So long as you just put water it's all good.

Tygarys

Arachnopeon
1. You are still spraying chemicals, water is a chemical! :D
2. As long as it is new and was not used, I would think it would be safe.