Pesticide question

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Aright, I've got an ant problem. Ants everywhere. While i still have no t's, im planning on getting one on april 22nd unless a better deal comes along. Id like to get rid of these ants. They bite me while i sleep. It doesnt feel too good. So. If we use some sort of pesticide, would it be safe by the 22nd? Is there something that would be safe no matter what? Please help, the bites itch o_O

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I would think that bait traps would be ok. The ones where the ants have to eat the stuff inside. I have a number of them in my house and my T.s have never had a problem with them, that I know of.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Aright, I've got an ant problem. Ants everywhere. While i still have no t's, im planning on getting one on april 22nd unless a better deal comes along. Id like to get rid of these ants. They bite me while i sleep. It doesnt feel too good. So. If we use some sort of pesticide, would it be safe by the 22nd? Is there something that would be safe no matter what? Please help, the bites itch o_O
Sounds like the perfect time to call an exterminator. Get it taken care of before you get a T. They would be able to tell you if what they are using would be safe after X number of days.

Bait traps, which I have bought many of, don't even put a dent in the ant problem here. They might be more effective in an apartment less covered in ants, but to me it was like throwing money in a fire.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Sounds like the perfect time to call an exterminator. Get it taken care of before you get a T. They would be able to tell you if what they are using would be safe after X number of days.

Bait traps, which I have bought many of, don't even put a dent in the ant problem here. They might be more effective in an apartment less covered in ants, but to me it was like throwing money in a fire.
I live in the south between two cattle farms. These ants arent getting gone with traps. Exterminator it is.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If the spraying is localized as opposed to a bomb, you MIGHT be OK. I've had Ts in an apt that was sprayed at the baseboard with no issues. Mind you I also put my Ts, covered, in a closet too. Can't guarantee the same results will happen to you.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It doesn't work on all species of ant, but boric acid is by far the best thing out there. It is only lethal if they ingest it, meaning your spiders are perfectly safe. The ants also take it back to their nest and feed the workers, meaning you can decimate a colony in a couple days.

You just put a few drops onto a piece of cardboard, put it in the offending area, and give it a day. Maniacal laughing optional.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
It doesn't work on all species of ant, but boric acid is by far the best thing out there. It is only lethal if they ingest it, meaning your spiders are perfectly safe. The ants also take it back to their nest and feed the workers, meaning you can decimate a colony in a couple days.
I have heard that boric acid also abrades the exoskeleton on contact. We've used it around the perimeter of the house at times, and any spider that has come in contact with it doesn't look too good.

That being said, as long as you aren't letting the tarantula crawl in the affected area (and are washing your hands after handling boric acid), I wouldn't expect it to harm tarantulas confined to their enclosures.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I have heard that boric acid also abrades the exoskeleton on contact. We've used it around the perimeter of the house at times, and any spider that has come in contact with it doesn't look too good.

That being said, as long as you aren't letting the tarantula crawl in the affected area (and are washing your hands after handling boric acid), I wouldn't expect it to harm tarantulas confined to their enclosures.
Upon looking that up (you're right by the way, thank you), I also found that apparently you can buy powdered boric acid.

@JoshDM020 - don't use that powdered stuff! You wouldn't want it to go airborne. What I was referring to is a very thick liquid, almost like molasses.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Upon looking that up (you're right by the way, thank you), I also found that apparently you can buy powdered boric acid.
We have used the powdered boric acid. (In the spring, smoky brown cockroach nymphs wander inside.) It doesn't seem very likely to go airborne (at least where we tend to use it, which is in cracks between the floor and walls), but I would not want to use it near the tarantulas just to be on the safe side.

Last edited:

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Just an update, i found the colony outside aaaaannnnnnd filled it with granules formulated for ants. I went nuclear. They were in a no-traffic area, so theres no chance of anyone tracking it into the house or anything. Thanks for all the help!

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Just an update, i found the colony outside aaaaannnnnnd filled it with granules formulated for ants. I went nuclear. They were in a no-traffic area, so theres no chance of anyone tracking it into the house or anything. Thanks for all the help!
I have a pesticides use license here in MA, depending on how successful your "nuclear attack" was you can also try spraying the outside perimeter of your home with a product called Talstar. It also comes in granules but I can't say if that works as well. Every summer we have sugar ants invade the kitchen and that is the only thing that has kept them away.
Downside is that it is definitely toxic to any Ts you hope to get. However if you wear latex kitchen gloves, wear clothes that will not be near your Ts, and then wash your hands after and change clothes again, it will not harm them. A lot more work but if I can do something similar every day I figure once a year or so should be alright for you.

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
I have a pesticides use license here in MA, depending on how successful your "nuclear attack" was you can also try spraying the outside perimeter of your home with a product called Talstar. It also comes in granules but I can't say if that works as well. Every summer we have sugar ants invade the kitchen and that is the only thing that has kept them away.
Downside is that it is definitely toxic to any Ts you hope to get. However if you wear latex kitchen gloves, wear clothes that will not be near your Ts, and then wash your hands after and change clothes again, it will not harm them. A lot more work but if I can do something similar every day I figure once a year or so should be alright for you.
Greetings from KY my fellow pest control technician. Good info. Outside treatment should always be your first option for most species. Flipping rocks and landscaping to find the nest is key. Above all else, never buy "bombs"! They are a waste of your money.