Pest control question

MetallicArachnid

Arachnosquire
Not exactly related to keeping inverts but I opened my humidor to check on the humidity and found tobacco beetles, following standard practice I moved the cigars to the fridge but what can I use to clean the humidor without putting my spiders at risk?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Or for that matter, yourself. If it is valuable open grain wood that would absorb toxins and odors, scrub with mild abrasive like Scotch Brite dish scrubber to remove all foreign material then UV (or EO if available) is the weapon of choice to sterilize.

Last edited:

The Snark

Old Timer
Yup. All chemical sterilizing agents except EO are out with cedar. Got a UV source?

MetallicArachnid

Arachnosquire
Could wait until the morning and set it outside in the sun if that would work, I do live in Arizona the dry air probably wouldn't do them any good either.

The Snark

Old Timer
Let your nose be your guide. The cedar is there as an odor sponge, having it's own odor contributing. It is fungus and mold resistant but very susceptible to bacterial odors which would be almost impossible to get out. Several hours, like around 8, full direct sunlight might do the sterilizing job.
Cherry wood is not a significant concern. Very hard and nearly impermeable closed cell.

MetallicArachnid

Arachnosquire
Sweet I'll try that, as long as I can keep my spiders and smokes safe and healthy I'm happy, 8 hours in the sun is nothing.

The Snark

Old Timer
Just keep in mind, humidors are bacterial incubators by nature. Probably ruins more of them than all other causes combined. Getting a mini UV bulb and periodically emptying and cleaning it then a 24 hour dose of UV is a good plan.

MetallicArachnid

Arachnosquire
Makes perfect sense being a warm, damp environment definitely can't hurt to do the UV treatment a couple times a year.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Don't forget to recondition and recharge the humidor afterwards! If you put your smokes back in an unconditioned humidor they'll be bone dry and flaky within a day.