Peso+Pinkie?

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey all,
I met my first corn snake a few days ago (I want one) and i watched it choke down a pinkie. Now, before I get whisked off to the watering hole, let me get to the point.
This pinkie was amazingly tiny. I was quite surprised. So, I was wondering if I could possibly feed one to Peso. A dead one. It was literally a day or two old. But, Peso is still only a little over 2", and maybe it's too early for vertebrates. Opinions?
I'd like to give my beloved spider a treat; he's eaten nothing but crickets since I've gotten him/her.
Paul

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
He would likely eat some of it... but you would be left with the festering foul smelling remains to clean up.

I have smelled a lot of bad things in my day...but few can compare to the smell of a half eaten half rotten pinky mouse.

I would wait until peso is a little bigger and can eat the whole meal personally but its all up to you.

PS... told you those corn snakes were cool

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Chris,
If there's one thing I don't it's bad smells. There's actually a lot of things I don't like, but bad smells is up there. What are some other 'treat' alternatives? Keep in mind, anything would be a treat to Peso. Also keep in mind I'm not living in a sprawling metropolis, and my options are limited. Suggestions?
Paul

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, I'd have to say that 2" is still a pretty small T as far as pinkies go. Like Chris said, the remains are very funky! The less pinkie remains to remove, definitely the better! If you want some variation in Peso's diet, try some meal worms or perhaps an occasional roach for the time being.

Atrax

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I buy an occasional bunch of super worms or meal worms for ours.

I was thinking of a pinky for Keoche and maybe Slinky and Ceris.
But I don't much like the idea of cleaning up the pinky remains.
And thinking about fishing out pieces of baby mangled mousy with the orange demon after me is even Less apealing.

I have a litte saucer, a flatish lid with a shallow lip for dropping meal worms and super worms into the demons tanks so they don't burrow right into the substrat.

The less I put my hands into That wild nutcases tank the better.

I watch her and still wonder How in the worlds I was So freaking Insane to hold her....

But anyway.

Your little one sounds still a bit little for pinkies.

And like the others said theres LOTS of other treats and variations of diets you can do untill Peso has some more size on him and can knock back the whole pinky.

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I get mealworms every once in a while just to shake things up a bit but for my large spiders I sometimes get the impression that even a large cricket isn't filling enough. These big ones usually will get a pinky, as mentioned, and sometimes they get large hissers (Madagascaran hissing cockroaches) .
If you're just looking for a bit of variety, hissers are good too 'cause they also come in various sizes, if your local petstore breeds them that is.

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I gave a pinkie to a 2 or so inch Usambara and it ate the entire thing. Fattened him up quick.

I'd imagine peso would be fine with it.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
While we're on the subject, who has gotten Grammastola species to eat pinkies? My rose hair wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. A few people had told me that they hadn't been able to get theirs to either.

Bill

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've gotten my 3.5 inch G. Rosea to eat a pinky and a fuzzy. (I only gave it a fuzzy because I had gotten too many and, strangly enough, no other tarantula would take it.)

It was violent. The poor little guy's legs were kicking, it walked for it's first time, but it didn't go anywhere with those fangs buried deep inside.

I haven't really gotten her to eat anymore, but I haven't really tried too much.

It seems to be a lot about dropping it right in front of the spider, if it's hungry, it usually pounces. Sometimes I'll leave it in there for a couple hours, but if it's not taken by then, I give it to someone else. Probably don't even have to wait that long.

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
While we're on the subject, who has gotten Grammastola species to eat pinkies? My rose hair wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. A few people had told me that they hadn't been able to get theirs to either.

Bill
My G. Roseas and my G. Aureostriata all eat pinkies... its always their post-molt treat to fatten them up again.