Peruvian Amazon -- inverts

moloch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here are more photos of invertebrates that I took on a trip to the Peruvian Amazon with Margarita Tours in January, 2010. Invertebrates were abundant and one of the highlights of the trip to me.

I posted background information as well as arachnid shots here:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=174092

A pretty scarab:

Pleasing Fungus Beetle:

... maybe the same family, not certain:

Tiger Beetle:

Lampyrid juvenile. I was told that this insect hunted small snails. It had a tubular mandible and it would stab this into a snail to feed on its juices. Lovely.

Any ideas? I don't even recognize the order. I don't believe that it is a lepidopteran but I don't know what it is.

Grasshoppers with flattened bodies:

Dead-leaf Katydids: I loved their incredible patterns.

A good leaf-mimick Katydid:

A normal looking katydid that is undergoing ecdysis:

Monster Katydid. These were the largest insects that I have ever seen. Some of them were gigantic.

Pretty cricket:

Painted Grasshopper:

... another:

Aeroplane Grasshoppers: These grasshoppers would usually sit with the legs lowered laterally and theirs closed wings elevated. Quite unusual.

... love the eyes of this grasshopper:

... really weird, I think it to be an orthopteran:

Dead-leaf Mantis: It certainly looked like a cluster of dead leaves.

Another fast mantis:

Jumping Stick Insects: These are really bizarred orthopterans. I think that this pair is "grinning":

Stick Insect:

Wax-tailed Plant Hopper. These homopterans could fly, despite their strange growths.

Lantern Fly (homopteran):

Hemipterans:

Wasp nest that was built into the ground. It had a lip that was a few cms above the surface of the soil. I suppose that this helped to avoid flooding.

Damselfly:

Helicopter Damselfly: These were wonderful to see. They were big damsels that flew with a slow wingbeat. I usually could only see the yellow wingtips in the poor light of the forest interior. The remainder of the wings and body were almost invisible.

Millipedes:

Giant Snail:

Pygmy Kingfisher: We saw several of these and Ringed Kingfishers asleep on vegetation that hung over the water.

Red-headed Cardinal -- Common along the Rio Orosa.

These fruiting fungi make me think of "Avatar":

Wine-cup fungus:

Strange seed pods:

Unusual flowers:

Regards,
David

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Really cool shots, thank you for sharing.

Funny, some of your pics almost look exactly like some I took in French Guiana! There is good consistency!

The eyes on this grasshopper are really fantastic!

Martin

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for sharing the pics! Really cool pygmy martin fisher!! ...now let's see the Pamphobeteus tarantulas! :)

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Great stuff, the strange seed pods though I think are puffball mushrooms of some sort. One of them appears to have a stream of spores being released.

moloch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the replies.

Martin,
Have you posted photos from your trip? If so, would you mind sending a link?

myrmecophile,
I can see why you considered that the structures were puffball mushrooms, but they weren't. These were dropping from one of the big rainforest trees. I have seen them before at La Selva, Costa Rica, but I can't remember the name of the tree. They always make me think of sea urchins.

Regards,
David

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Interesting, I was fooled I guess by what appeared to be a drift of spores from the top one and the fact I have seen spiny puff balls before. Cool. Never saw these when I was in CR.