Peru Amazon - Oct 2008

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My wife and I just returned from Peru with 20 high school students we took with us. I can't post any pics with students but I have lots of great photos of inverts. The students did a night hike in the Amazon, canoed in the Amazon and flashed for caiman at night with lights from a boat. We also did a 6 hour day hike. Here are a few photos. Of course, no trip to Peru is complete without a stop at Machu Picchu. Here is my wife and I.

There were lots of lizards at Machu Picchu.

Here is a typical small village in the Andes. There was a festival going on so everyone was dressed up.

This is a typical street in a small town in the Peruvian Amazon.

These are common in the markets. A frame of 15 butterflies cost about $20. A large framed tarantula was about $10. The mounted T's were mostly pamphobeteus antinous

A large mounted beetle.

I love the reflexion in the lakes.

A 4 foot black caiman surfaced about 6 inches from our canoe.

There were thousands of butterflies along some of the rivers. Here are some flying around a turtle.

An interesting frog we found during a night hike.

And another.

We saw very few snakes, but here is a one we found on a tree.

A bunch of wasps.

A very colorful beetle. This beetle is almost 1 1/2 inches.

A butterfly at night.

There were lots of grasshoppers.

And lots of stick insects.

A bullet ant. This one is about an inch.

I love this orb weaver. It was huge. The body was almost the size of a golf ball. I have never seen one this large.

We found lots of avicularia. Here is a nice female.

Here is my son with an avicularia.

There were lots of interesting spiders. Many were 3 - 4 inches in legspan.

There were lots of tarantulas burrows. They had some good sized pamphobeteus in them. The Pamphos were very easy to trick with grass. My wife and I were successful in getting the tarantulas to leave their burrows almost everytime. Sometimes we could get the same tarantulas to come out up to 10 times in a row. They would come out chasing the grass up to 2 feet away from the entrance and then dart back in. I blocked the burrow of this one with my mosquito head cover so I could get a decent pic. They were very fast at darting back in.

What surprised me the most, was that sometimes many T's were in thre same burrow. I hadn't seen that before. In one burrow a 3 inch all black tarantula came out chasing the grass. On the second try a 4 inch brown one came out of the same hole. And after that another 4 inch black one came out with a bald butt. I don't know how many share the same burrow but they were good sized and apparently living communally. The burrows were less that 2 feet deep.

Here is my wife trying to get the T to come out. Most were black but a few were brown. Occasionally we could get other large spiders to do the same thing from what we thought were tarantula burrows but were other large spiders. The burrows would range in size to 6 inches wide to 1 inch wide.

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
nice report! peru in on my list of places to visit also!

Eddy

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
nice report! peru in on my list of places to visit also!

Eddy
When you go you will love the place. It has so many different habitats and so much to see. There's still a lot of new stuff to be found too. I hope you get to go soon.

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice Pics! I too went to peru this year and did almost the exact thing you did! I went to Iquitos and spent 2.5 weeks in the amazon as well as going to Cuzco, Puno, Arequipa etc. I'll have to post some pics! Did you guys get to fish for any piranhas? Thanks for sharing!

RYan

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Nice Pics! I too went to peru this year and did almost the exact thing you did! I went to Iquitos and spent 2.5 weeks in the amazon as well as going to Cuzco, Puno, Arequipa etc. I'll have to post some pics! Did you guys get to fish for any piranhas? Thanks for sharing!

RYan
You must have had a tremendous trip!! 2.5 weeks in the Amazon sounds like a lot of fun. We had cold water showers pumped from a river (brown water) and hot temps. But nothing beats the tropics in my opinion. I'd love to see some pics. I'll watch for them. We didn't fish for pirahna this trip but the students were hoping to. We ran out of time. We saw a lot though, even though our trip was a lot shorter than yours. :)

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Nice pictures and trip! Love that Pamphobeteus. Was it in South-East Peru?

Pato-
I love those pamphos too. Some were quite large and where there was one there were lots of them. Yes, they were in the south east, near Puerto Maldonado. They chased grass easily and came right out of their nests but when I blocked the return route they seemed totally non-agressive. They just froze and I could touch them with my hand and they wouldn't attack or throw hairs.

ftorres

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello
Great Pics and great report.
Did you guys ate any Cui or drank and Inka Cola???

regards

francisco

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I LOVE that huntsman in the pic after the Phoneutria! Never seen one of those before!

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hello
Great Pics and great report.
Did you guys ate any Cui or drank and Inka Cola???

regards

francisco
Yes, we tried cui (guinea pig for anyone who doesn't know). I read Peruvians eat about 45 million per year. I thought it tasted fine but the presentation needs something. The students tried Inca Kola. Most said it tasted like bubble gum cream soda. I stuck with coca tea because at the high altitudes my head was killing me the first day in Cuzco.

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I LOVE that huntsman in the pic after the Phoneutria! Never seen one of those before!
There's a lot to see and I'm sure a lot of new species of inverts as well. I wish I could have searched better but I had nearly 20 students surrounding me as we walked at night. They don't have the same patience that I have, where I can lose myself on a meter of soil for 30 minutes.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi,
Nice pics! I have been to Peru 10 times already but never made it to the jungle. I am sure you flew into Jorge Chavez Airport in Lima but where did you go to from Lima?
Were the lines at the Airport long when you left?

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

yes! wow! that is one nicely colored huntsman! the marking on the abdomen remind me slightly of P irminia in a way :)

nice pampho's too!

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi,
Nice pics! I have been to Peru 10 times already but never made it to the jungle. I am sure you flew into Jorge Chavez Airport in Lima but where did you go to from Lima?
Were the lines at the Airport long when you left?
Thanks. We flew into Lima and after a few days flew to Cuzco and then flew to Puerto Maldonado and traveled by boat. We flew LAN (Chilean Airline) and were happy with the service. We didn't have any problems with lines at the airport. We generally went to the airport quite early to avoid the lines. We did have a small earthquake in Lima. It lasted just a few seconds but people in the restaurant we were in went crazy. It was an up and down tremor, maybe 10 bounces.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My wife was still living in Lima when they had that last big earthquake down there. In fact I was on the phone with her when it happened. I think it was the last time I was down there bgack in May that we had a small quake. I had never been in one before.
Out of curiosity, what did the tickets cost from Lima to Cusco and Puerto Maldonado? I am hoping to go on a big trip to the jungle in one of my next 2 trips there.
Peru is a wonderful place to visit. I am lucky to have family there now. The price of tickets have more than doubled since I started going there in 2005 which is making my trips further apart than when I first started going.
Did you eat any cebiche?

sntcruzan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What was the nature of your trip with the students? What was the cost of the trip? airfare,boat trips and i'm guessing guided tours of the jungle?
You can email me if needed.I so want to go to Peru and the Amazon.

Red Eyes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Fanastic pictures! Thank you for sharing them. Did you try any Piranha dishes? Is Machu Picchu very expensive to visit?

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My wife was still living in Lima when they had that last big earthquake down there. In fact I was on the phone with her when it happened. I think it was the last time I was down there bgack in May that we had a small quake. I had never been in one before.
Out of curiosity, what did the tickets cost from Lima to Cusco and Puerto Maldonado? I am hoping to go on a big trip to the jungle in one of my next 2 trips there.
Peru is a wonderful place to visit. I am lucky to have family there now. The price of tickets have more than doubled since I started going there in 2005 which is making my trips further apart than when I first started going.
Did you eat any cebiche?
We paid $125 one way from Lima to Cuzco and then about the same for one way from Cuzco to Puerto Maldonado. In both cases the flights are fairly short. Getting to Lima is another story. Those tickets are expensive. Our Atlanta to Lima leg was just over 6 hours of flight time. We bought our tickets almost a year ago though so who knows what the newest prices are. Definitely make it to the rainforest though. It's amazing. Actually, Peru is amazing period. :)