Personality change after molt

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Has anyone else here experienced a drastic personality change after a molt? I have a Heterometrus sling, I got him in early August and when I first got him he was very chill, just a fat little bug and I could easily pick him up. After he molted recently, his personality completely changed and he became a little fireball, he rears up so high. I was trying to move him out of the way with a leaf to put new substrate in, and he struck at me multiple times and actually ran TOWARD the leaf and struck it. He's still so small its adorable, but I've never seen a scorpion this aggressive before lol

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Also another thing, he got FASTER. Way faster than he was before. He's almost as fast as a spider now. It's amazing lol. He was so slow before this, the increase in his speed is remarkable

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
I’ve noticed it in a lot of species to some extend, but especially in Scorpionidae since they’re generally a lot slower growers. They become really lethargic and slow for a while and don’t eat, and after they molt, they will eat like crazy, be faster and more active etc.
My explanation is that closer to a molt, they get fatter, so it costs more energy to move around. Also they can’t really eat since there’s not a lot of space left. When they molt, this is not an issue anymore since their mass is more in proportion.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
That is so interesting, why do you think this happens?
If you were to take the skinny jeans off without using your hands, for three to four hours, I am certain you would be very tired, and pissed at the same time. Hence the personality changes.

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
yes - idk why this is scientifically but informally i want to say their “confidence” grows as they do - my adult H. spinifer is defensive AF

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
@CRX
yes - idk why this is scientifically but informally i want to say their “confidence” grows as they do - my adult H. spinifer is defensive AF
Environment counts a LOT in how they act. Take your Spinifer. Entirely nocturnal and extremely photophobic. Have you observed it under completely natural conditions? IE, Abnormal conduct under abnormal conditions should be expected.

In trying to get identifying our 'Asian Forest Scorpions' sorted out our entomologist mentioned during the day we only have one heterometrus; Bird food.

Last edited:

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
@CRX

Environment counts a LOT in how they act. Take your Spinifer. Entirely nocturnal and extremely photophobic. Have you observed it under completely natural conditions? IE, Abnormal conduct under abnormal conditions should be expected.

In trying to get identifying our 'Asian Forest Scorpions' sorted out our entomologist mentioned during the day we only have one heterometrus; Bird food.
my arachnid room is kept pretty dark as is - the only light that comes in is natural light that’s greatly reduced via blinds and so on, really only allowing to maintain a natural day/night cycle and within its enclosure, it’s hide is pushed towards the back with a deep burrow - within the log hide burrow it stays dark 24/7

when doing night observations the room is pitch black and i never put the small flashlight i use directly into the enclosure or onto the specimen - i point it away from any enclosures and angle it so i have enough light to see

my previous comments are based upon conditions which could be darker than what exists in nature during a full moon

Last edited:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
@YungRasputin You give a good example. Way too many people have the 'pet goldfish' mentality then ask why the animal does this or that when it's not in it's natural habitat.
We have most or all of the heterometrus species around here and they are quite common. The only time they are ever seen are most often road kills during mating season, the occasional unearthing one when their hide gets uncovered, and on extremely rare occasions out roaming, always at - night looking for romance. Or the H Venatoria. All it does is lurk on a wall. Want to see it in action turn out all the lights. Except males looking for romance of course.
What got up in my face was people encountering my horse, many of them supposed horse experts.. He's a vicious dangerous unpredictable animal. Geld him or put him down the usual suggestion. No, he's a stallion and there are mares around.
People need to get in touch with reality instead of judging everything according to their personal lights.

excelsia

Arachnopeon
YES! Haha, my T albo was a calm fluffy zen spider. Molted, had an identity crisis and began thinking she was an OBT. Threat postures every time I came by the enclosure, attacked the water dish when I would attempt to refill it. She was a big girl in a good enclosure with 6+ inches of substrate, which she burrowed in. Don't know why she turned into a devil spider, but I hear it can be pretty common.