Permanent bald spot

dvillafana08

Arachnopeon
C. cyaneopubescens are semi arboreal, so I'd add some sticks for them to web around. I wouldn't worry about misting either, they don't require it. Just a full water dish. The stress could be the reason for the bald spot, but I can't be certain.

Here's my setup for my juvenile:
Good to know!! Thank you all so much!

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Normal normal, like everyone said:) Trust me, I definitely wish NW tarantulas didn't kick their hairs off. Nothing beats a spider with a perfectly fuzzy butt!

Also, even if the temps drop, it's not nearly as bad as temps getting too high. Heat kills much quicker than cold does. Temps that are a bit too low may cause health issues in the long run, but she wouldn't be in any immediate danger as long as it's not fridge-cold.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I glanced at your location. Still living in LA? Because that's where I am too. So just as a reference, I never have any temp issues at any time of year here:)

dvillafana08

Arachnopeon
I glanced at your location. Still living in LA? Because that's where I am too. So just as a reference, I never have any temp issues at any time of year here:)
I am in La! But i am currently in a garage with no insulation So my living space gets quite cold lol.

dvillafana08

Arachnopeon
But that is very reassuring to hear. I recently got a lasiodora parahybana sling and im worried about the little guy but hearing that definitely helps a bit!

dvillafana08

Arachnopeon
By any chance do you know of any good places around LA to purchase slings? I've bought both of mine online but would love to have an actual store to go too.

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
By any chance do you know of any good places around LA to purchase slings? I've bought both of mine online but would love to have an actual store to go too.
I'm not from LA but I know of at least one dealer there
https://www.thebugplug.net/store/

Give them a shout. Great people from my experience!

Also keep an eye out for expos. Repticon is a great place to get some tarantulas! Slings, Juvies, Adults of all types

cold blood

Staff member
its important to note that theres no such thing as a permenant bald spot....next molt the rump will be replenished of its urticating hairs.....and yeah, never ever mist your gbb.

dvillafana08

Arachnopeon
its important to note that theres no such thing as a permenant bald spot....next molt the rump will be replenished of its urticating hairs.....and yeah, never ever mist your gbb.
Thank you! She had an ant situation two molts ago and her rump never fully recovered but I'll keep my fingers crossed for the next molt!

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
never ever mist your gbb.
Quoted for emphasis. And to add "or any other tarantula". Misting is pointless. It only raises the humidity for about two minutes before the water drops settle. And then its not even enough water on the sub to effect it either way. Plus it just annoys them. Ya know how cats feel about being sprayed with water? Yeah, imagine that with venom.

dvillafana08

Arachnopeon
Quoted for emphasis. And to add "or any other tarantula". Misting is pointless. It only raises the humidity for about two minutes before the water drops settle. And then its not even enough water on the sub to effect it either way. Plus it just annoys them. Ya know how cats feel about being sprayed with water? Yeah, imagine that with venom.
Really wish I went on this page ages ago. My poor c. Cyaneopubescens
Very good to know though I'll be sure to not mist my L. Parahybana

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Really wish I went on this page ages ago. My poor c. Cyaneopubescens
Very good to know though I'll be sure to not mist my L. Parahybana
Best way to do it is to just pour the water directly onto the substrate (Edit: depending on species. Some might just need a water dish.). Without dumping it on the T of course. But its all good! You're here now, and willing to learn, and that puts you about 4000 miles ahead of some people.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Just to sum it up: C.cyaneopubescens are pretty much bulletproof, except for one thing. Humidity. Too humid? Spider dies.
Keep it as dry as possible, and only fill the waterdish. Do not overflow it.
You can use that heatmat, but do not put it directly on the enclosure. Leave a five cm gap between the walls of the enclosure and heat mat. That patch you're seeing is the mirror patch, completely normal. The bald spots are visible because she kicked a lot of hairs due to stress of some kind.

The L.parahybana needs a little moisture but not wet substrate. You can put it near the heatmat so it gets a little warmth as well, but again leave a gap.

If you have any questions, fire away :)

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
A constantly humid enclosure will cause problems, but a random flood won't hurt them, that's actually a known trick to breeding this species. It simulates their short rainy season. ;) If your not breeding, it's clear from hobbyists' experience there's no need for humidity.

Misting will up humidity if you spray enough on the substrate, water is water bro... Your right though, it does annoy them if sprayed. It's also less time consuming and less of a hand cramp to pour instead of misting.

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My room has been hovering around 60 degrees at night and can't figure out a safer way. Any suggestions would help tremendously.
The room with my tarantulas can dip into the 60s, and my GBB seems fine.

If you have no better options, here are some tips for safely using a heating pad.

its important to note that theres no such thing as a permenant bald spot....next molt the rump will be replenished of its urticating hairs.....
"I'm not only the Urticating Hair Club president, but I'm also a client."

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Misting will up humidity if you spray enough on the substrate, water is water bro... Your right though, it does annoy them if sprayed. It's also less time consuming and less of a hand cramp to pour instead of misting.
I was going based on the notion that most people who mist, unless they know better, often just give a couple of little spurts, but youre right.

dvillafana08

Arachnopeon
I was going based on the notion that most people who mist, unless they know better, often just give a couple of little spurts, but youre right.
When I mist I usually sprayed the substrate and webbing specifically, but with this new knowledge I am most likely going to stop misting and focus on keeping her water dish full.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
For some Ts, I spray the sides of their enclosures with a spray bottle every few weeks as they always come out and hoover up the water droplets (I also keep water dishes with all of my Ts). My P. metallica seems to enjoy it particularly. I do agree that it's not ideal for boosting humidity though.