Perfect hide - from the dollar store! - share your good finds!

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There is a rosehair at the entomology lab on my campus that is in really bad need of a tank renovation, so I went to the dollar store and found this half flowerpot that seems just perfect for a hide! If my other T's werent arboreals I'd get some for them too :}

Here it is sitting on my desk (pay no attention to pink chipping horrible dorm desk and the other random stuff on it, haha), I'll take pics once I get it into the tank:

What great things have you found at the dollar store/walmart/etc? I know lots of people have been able to find cool containers, but what about decorations? Hidey logs and such from pet stores can be rediculously expensive.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have considered using those, they are meant to be bolt on hanging planters....... But I dont have any tanks that will deal with the width. At least not right now. I am searching for those at the garden center but smaller.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
You know I bet if you cut the bottom out and then glued it to a cage wall it would work for arboreals too.

I haven't found any hides at the dollar store, but I do make my own out of corks. They can be made to fit any size tarantula.

Here is a much larger one.

Last edited:

Derrick

Arachnopeon
I use large,thick old paper tubes. You can cut them to any shape... and they are free usually.

Katronmaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've used a few large vases too, And the guy I got my G. pulchra from used flower pot dishes with notches cut out to get in. I love the cork idea! But have no way of obtaining corks...

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
For the burrows/hides of some terrestrial Ts I use plastic Slurpee cups of varying sizes from 7-11. They're clear so if you butt the end of the cup up against the wall of your enclosure, you can see the T in its burrow. I generally cover the sides and top of the cup with substrate to keep the light out, and I half-fill the cup with substrate at first so as to let the T dig it out to its own liking.

I've also used the same cups with their snap-on lids as housing for small spiders. The plastic cases you get with a 50-pack of blank CDs work great for the same purpose.

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You know I bet if you cut the bottom out and then glued it to a cage wall it would work for arboreals too.

I haven't found any hides at the dollar store, but I do make my own out of corks. They can be made to fit any size tarantula.

Here is a much larger one.

That's so cool!!! It liked me a lot. I think I'll copy your style :D

Thanks for the idea!
Bothrops

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Great Cork Idea

Those cork hides are great ! What do you use to hold them together a glue gun ?

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Yes I use a glue gun. I buy boxes of new corks from my local grocery superstore, near the winemaking supplies. It costs $10 for a box of them from which you can make many hides, depending on size. I also use corks as climbs for arboreals. The idea for doing that came from Immortal Sin. She had posted a pic of corks in with some little Avic slings, I just took it further and made hides out of them.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Cork hide is brilliant!

Good ol' plastic flowerpots cut in half works well! And the pound shops (im in england lol) always sell good, cheap tupperware! Which is great for housing juvies and slings... plus they come in all shapes and sizes, to cater for arboreals, terrestrials and burrowers! Easy :D

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes I use a glue gun. I buy boxes of new corks from my local grocery superstore, near the winemaking supplies. It costs $10 for a box of them from which you can make many hides, depending on size. I also use corks as climbs for arboreals. The idea for doing that came from Immortal Sin. She had posted a pic of corks in with some little Avic slings, I just took it further and made hides out of them.
In case you have some pics.. could you post them?

Thanks,
Bothrops

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Sure, here is a setup I had made for a mature male H. maculata, he really liked webbing up behind the corks.

And these were for a couple of pokie slings, P. regalis and P. miranda.