Pepsis sp. in action

MrMatt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I usually don't bother sharing such a low quality picture but all I had was my camera phone and still wanted to share... I was visiting Colorado this summer and ran into a 'not so' uncommon battle. In fact just as I had remembered, they were everywhere with their catches... Enjoy

Attachments

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I wonder if there is ever any bump up in wasp population that would wipe out the Ts? Kinda cool kinda sad!

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Wow, I didn't realize how large the pepsis wasps really are. Thanks for sharing.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Very cool pic!!!

Now we don't have Pepsis here in NJ (not to my knowledge), however, two summers ago, I was building a deck with a friend and while tearing down the old deck I saw a small wasp bout 1/2" battling/dragging a small spider away and I was reminded of a Pepsis wasp.

I wonder how many wasp sp. use spiders as incubators/food source for their young.

Again cool pic.

PIG-

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It really is a fascinating "relationship." Thanks for sharing the pic MrMatt

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Despite the whole 'circle of life' thing, if the wasp hadn't stung it yet, I would have saved the dang spider. :}

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Very cool picture! Such an interesting relationship the two species share

MrMatt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Interesting enough they seem to drag their prey to the road (or other clearing) while they dig a hole to bury them in. At least that has been my observation. The tarantula pictured was stung (you can even tell where, she has the leg lifted) as has been every tarantula I have seen in a clearing with a Pepsis (which has been an uncountable number of the years). The tarantulas are alive and although paralyzed capable of subtle and slow movement back in my younger days I 'saved' 5 or so and kept them hydrated and eventually fed, most survived release a year or so later in excellent condition.

@xhexdx I think both are beautiful I will never again 'take' ones catch. I cannot imagine it being an easy task to capture a full grown tarantula a lot of time and energy spent by them, and if I every had the opportunity to witness it in action, I think I would sit back and watch. An amazing show I'm sure. Got love the circle of life (as a spectator). ;)