People who own Centipedes

Skullion

Arachnopeon
What first sparked your interest in keeping them? Personally, they creep me out a bit too much. Especially the giant ones. Mostly because of the toxicognaths. That said, I can understand finding them interesting. I really like tarantulas and snakes so I get not minding typically "creepy" animals.

Last edited:

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Why? They're terrifying. lmao
Especially the giant ones.
You may curious / wonder why, but for those of who keeps them, what you just wrote, might be sound a bit offensive.

It’s not wrong to ask why, but there is a way to make it sound much nicely.

I personally do not own one, but I do get that kind of expression / question a lot, as a tarantula keeper. It’s not really pleasant experience to have.

Last edited:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I've been on and off when it comes to owning centipedes. I find them extremely fascinating and would like to produce them. But the part I find kind of troubling is how to do it exactly and what it is the proper approach of breeding them. There are some amazing centipedes and many of them have unique patterns and colors depending on species. Sadly, centipedes are often misidentified and there isn't a whole lot of information to them. But in the future, I do hope they get the clarification and attention they deserve.

Scolopendra dehaani "Red Leg"

IMG_1093.JPG

Scolopendra dehaani "Orange Leg"

IMG_1444.JPG

Skullion

Arachnopeon
You may curious / wonder why, but for those of who keeps them, what you just wrote, might be sound a bit offensive.

It’s not wrong to ask why, but there is a way to make it sound much nicely.

I personally do not own one, but I do get that kind of expression / question a lot, as a tarantula keeper. It’s not really pleasant experience to have.
Yeah. You're right. That did come off a little more harshly than intended.

I've been on and off when it comes to owning centipedes. I find them extremely fascinating and would like to produce them. But the part I find kind of troubling is how to do it exactly and what it is the proper approach of breeding them. There are some amazing centipedes and many of them have unique patterns and colors depending on species. Sadly, centipedes are often misidentified and there isn't a whole lot of information to them. But in the future, I do hope they get the clarification and attention they deserve.

Scolopendra dehaani "Red Leg"

View attachment 399112

Scolopendra dehaani "Orange Leg"

View attachment 399117
Ooh. Pretty!

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
They look cool and they hunt well.

One day i'd like to get a species that gets over 10" but i don't have the space right now. The idea of huge bugs has always been interesting to me.

Conor10

Arachnoknight
I always thought their just as adorable as a puppy and everyone Said I’m crazy.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
While I don't have any right now, I started in the exotic invert hobby with a S. dehaani. What fascinated me and continues to fascinate me about centipedes is their relatively unparalleled prey drive. They are fast, active, powerful hunters and are the complete opposite in terms of hunting tactics to the majority of predatory insects (which are typically ambush hunters). The only other organisms I can really compare them to in terms of ferocity and hunger are shrews, which are little terrors in their own right.

Scoliolioli

Arachnopeon
I always thought their just as adorable as a puppy and everyone Said I’m crazy.
They are as adorable as puppies!

According to my family, I loved bugs for as long as I can remember. There's always been this terror of centipedes among my grandparents, aunts and uncles, that motivated me to prove to them that they're not bloodthirsty monsters waiting to pounce on humans.

Lo and behold, Noodle is one lazy, DERPY and adorable pede. My other centipede, Ramen, is essentially a pet pile of dirt.

Godzilla90fan

Arachnosquire
They are as adorable as puppies!

According to my family, I loved bugs for as long as I can remember. There's always been this terror of centipedes among my grandparents, aunts and uncles, that motivated me to prove to them that they're not bloodthirsty monsters waiting to pounce on humans.

Lo and behold, Noodle is one lazy, DERPY and adorable pede. My other centipede, Ramen, is essentially a pet pile of dirt.
I have always loved bugs, insects, arthopods of any kind really, but ill admit centipedes kinda creep me out. I always loved millipedes, so I think its that I view them as monster millipedes.
Doesn't help that a centipede bit me as a child. No medical attention needed, absolutely my fault (grabbed it), but it hurt pretty bad.
I've been considering getting one to get over this fear.