People these daysss

GabGab

Arachnoknight
I had a couple people on Instagram asking me where I get all my T's from and it worries me a bit because people get them for s and giggles and that's kinda worries me a bit. I know it's their decision to get one but a lot of people don't do re search and then they ask me a lot of questions they should've re searched. (Like I did with you guys lol💀)
But I know better now and before I buy a T I make sure I watch Tom Moran's YT vids (as you guys suggested) or just ask you guys in general.
I just wish a lot of people would think and do re search before buying a live animal in general.
I remember I got a DM from someone asking me what T's I have and sent me a sling that said "Dad" on it like how do you know it's a guy? (This sling was atleast a inch and a half) and this guy has 3 old worlds and 1 new world and I'm like waaaaa you have little to no experience with T's but you have 3 baboons?
People are wild now a days. I wouldn't even get an OW now till I'm fully ready.
Btw it's not a tarantula Instagram it's just me posting on my story about them.

Last edited:

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Those kinda people are my favorite. They get T’s they have no business keeping. Then when the T becomes too much for them to handle, they post it in Craigslist and I buy it on the cheap after berating them ha.

Ic4ru577

Arachnoknight
Or they might release the Ts just like that. Florida is quite a place for exotic pets nowadays

GabGab

Arachnoknight
Those kinda people are my favorite. They get T’s they have no business keeping. Then when the T becomes too much for them to handle, they post it in Craigslist and I buy it on the cheap after berating them ha.
People are dumb I hate to say it. I wonder if they just give you the enclosure it came with or they pack it and give it to you.🧐

Or they might release the Ts just like that. Florida is quite a place for exotic pets nowadays
The fact that people do that is annoying. Some T's can't survive like that :( I feel so bad for those T's :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Craig73

Arachnoangel
My .02 cents is stop posting pics on Instagram if you’re concerned, or drop some resources in any replies advocating research and share your journey about being a responsible owner. There are people that are genuinely interested in getting into the hobby. Think of yourself as an ambassador that can help highlight the goodness and use the platform to educate. Educate is much different than preach; one gains results while the other distracts from the message. Hope this helps.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
This is all just a by product of our instant gratification society.
People see something and they want it now, like right now.
So they buy the T and the enclosure and everything else the high school kid that works at PetSmart recommends. Then they join a Facebook group and boom! Instant T expert.
Then when the T doesn't look so healthy, 1% will seek out AB to ask if T's will eat vegetables or is this pre moult, or why is my T hiding?
You can preach about research till you're out of breath. It's not gonna change a darn thing.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
People are dumb I hate to say it. I wonder if they just give you the enclosure it came with or they pack it and give it to you.🧐
9 times out of 10 I tell them I don’t want their crap setup. They normally want more for there poorly setup enclosure that the T itself.

Last edited:

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
I'll quote @Craig73 to answer the op.

stop posting pics on Instagram if you’re concerned
Agreed. As a social media, you are open to receive these questions, not only that, if your account is getting more and more followers, these questions might follow up to that.

There are people that are genuinely interested in getting into the hobby. Think of yourself as an ambassador that can help highlight the goodness and use the platform to educate.
I usually don't mind helping people there, but that's a choice I made kinda thinking about this.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
and if you are posting on Social Media and someone asks questions. Politely Respond, "Tarantula Husbandry is an expensive and serious endeavor. If you are serious about the hobby, I can answer some questions, but only after we determine how suited you are for it" (anyone can steal this response)

GabGab

Arachnoknight
My .02 cents is stop posting pics on Instagram if you’re concerned, or drop some resources in any replies advocating research and share your journey about being a responsible owner. There are people that are genuinely interested in getting into the hobby. Think of yourself as an ambassador that can help highlight the goodness and use the platform to educate. Educate is much different than preach; one gains results while the other distracts from the message. Hope this helps.
I'm more concerned of people buying something they didn't do research on. I shouldn't have to stop posting pics because of that lol. I'm more than happy help them but most of time they don't ask or ask for resources and when I do they don't even look at the the resources I give or just don't care. I always tell them to do re search because taking care of T isn't like taking care of a cat and dog (as you know) but it's frustrating that people don't listen I guess is what I'm trying to say.

GabGab

Arachnoknight
I'll quote @Craig73 to answer the op.

Agreed. As a social media, you are open to receive these questions, not only that, if your account is getting more and more followers, these questions might follow up to that.

I usually don't mind helping people there, but that's a choice I made kinda thinking about this.
I only have 180 followers but it's my personal. I only post stories not pics of that makes sense :/

This is all just a by product of our instant gratification society.
People see something and they want it now, like right now.
So they buy the T and the enclosure and everything else the high school kid that works at PetSmart recommends. Then they join a Facebook group and boom! Instant T expert.
Then when the T doesn't look so healthy, 1% will seek out AB to ask if T's will eat vegetables or is this pre moult, or why is my T hiding?
You can preach about research till you're out of breath. It's not gonna change a darn thing.
That's the sad part. People don't do re search before buying!! I've learned my lesson 100%. But you can only do so much I guess :(

and if you are posting on Social Media and someone asks questions. Politely Respond, "Tarantula Husbandry is an expensive and serious endeavor. If you are serious about the hobby, I can answer some questions, but only after we determine how suited you are for it" (anyone can steal this response)
It's hard because they want it right then and there. I know someone is not experienced and has 3 baboons and 1 NW and named a sling that's smaller than 2inches dad. I'm just going copy and paste this website and hope for the best. People don't listen or take the advice people give which is fine but in the end it won't turn out how they wanted it. But it's like hey, you should've listened!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
If they want it right then and there, politely refuse. For the safety of the Tarantulas and the Potential Keepers. I don't care if folks get bit, I care what happens to the Ts. You seem fairly new as well, you can always say "I'm still learning and it's complicated" I told you so's are great but not when a T has to die for it. 3 Baboons out of the gate is triple the odds of being bit

GabGab

Arachnoknight
If they want it right then and there, politely refuse. For the safety of the Tarantulas and the Potential Keepers. I don't care if folks get bit, I care what happens to the Ts. You seem fairly new as well, you can always say "I'm still learning and it's complicated" I told you so's are great but not when a T has to die for it. 3 Baboons out of the gate is triple the odds of being bit
If only, people will do whatever they want regardless. If I refuse they just say heck it ima look online for these cool animals! But I feel like people (who isn't serious or just looking) don't want to pay 50$ for the shipping. Maybe just maybe the right then and there people will be like oh this is to expensive I don't want too. But I am new myself still learning. I have about 8 right now and I always always even with small slings make sure everything is okay ( I check on them like 20 times a day just observing them) making sure water is filled, I always damp the sub for my smaller slings every 2-3 days. I'm more of the over achiever (that's how I am sadly) and make sure everything is fine and when I see something wrong I can't fix I come here! But I'm going to DM them again and ask some questions.

GabGab

Arachnoknight
I ended up dming him about it! He's going to do re search and I told him to watch Tom Moran on YT he helps a lot with beginner stuff. He's not getting one for a while till he's educated :) But this is what I posted on my story. Until people ask questions I'm going to direct them to this website. A lot of people on here know more than I do and I'm still a newbie myself so thank god for this or my T's would be dead 😭

Attachments

Marlana

Arachnoknight
I have an Instagram where I share my photography. Mainly macros of spiders and plants. I have a little over 2000 followers. I get questions quite a lot. I go through messages once a week and have prewritten responses that I copy and paste. It’s easier for questions I get a lot. Links to care websites I trust and use. Sellers I trust.

I’m not going to hold someone’s hand and go through every aspect of care. I don’t have the time. But I love hearing that my content has changed someone’s view or peeked their interest. I’ll absolutely hand out the resources I use and give some encouragement and warnings. I love the hobby and love when anyone views spiders positively.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
All you can do is point them in the right direction and provide info that will help them along. I totally get it. As you can see there are lots of folks who seem to have taken up the hobby since the pandemic, so there is a growing group at this junction. I started in around 2008/09 and lurked here for years without joining

GabGab

Arachnoknight
I have an Instagram where I share my photography. Mainly macros of spiders and plants. I have a little over 2000 followers. I get questions quite a lot. I go through messages once a week and have prewritten responses that I copy and paste. It’s easier for questions I get a lot. Links to care websites I trust and use. Sellers I trust.

I’m not going to hold someone’s hand and go through every aspect of care. I don’t have the time. But I love hearing that my content has changed someone’s view or peeked their interest. I’ll absolutely hand out the resources I use and give some encouragement and warnings. I love the hobby and love when anyone views spiders positively.
I was debating but I feel like no one would follow :/ people sometimes get creeped out about my T's but it's like unfollow button is right there. But ima take your advice as well as others. :) I might just make one and if anyone asks give resources as well as this site because this is where my resources come from. But thank you for this info and will be gladly use this❤

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
My big thing with all of this is that I don’t think the mass public is aware how long, if they have a female, can live! and that it’s a living thing and you are making a commitment to take care of it for it’s life span, regardless of how long that may be. And let’s face it some species can live a considerably long time! It’s a shame cause people get them without truly liking them enough to have an individual with some 10-20+ years. Some even longer.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Just remind people that most females can outlive a dog... Or two.
They are pretty hands off but require constant attention.
So if they aren't committed enough to take the time to at least pretend to know what they're doing, they can just get a cat or something. 😛

Last edited:

GabGab

Arachnoknight
Just remind people that most females will outlive a dog... Or two.
They are pretty hands off but require constant attention.
So if they aren't committed enough to take the time to at least pretend to know what they're doing, they can just get a cat or something. 😛
I'm going to suggest that! :,) thank you!!!