People that tong feed really miss out

Royalty

Arachnoknight
Besides the fact that it is not good for the tarantulas, I find the takedowns by letting the spider do its thing are more fun.

For example, my OBT, when it is poking out and it is feeding time, I have plenty of space to drop it near enough to the tarantula. Even if it lands a few inches "off target" seeing the tarantula pounce on the prey is amazing. For my p. Vittata when it is on the sides (which some people complain of with arboreals and feeding) I can usually "toss" the prey near enough to it that they will grab it midair. Even if I miss, they can sense that the prey has went by and usually figure out to go down and get it. The fossorials can be a bit more of a patience thing depending, but they have magnificent take downs as well.

I think it is so much cooler to watch tarantulas snatch prey midair or pounce on it then tong feeding. Like how boring is that? If I wanted to see something being spoon feeding I could probably find a video of someone feeding a human child.

Anyone have any favorite tarantula takedowns?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
One of the coolest aspects of feeding is watching your T put a hunt on a unsuspecting cricket. Then BOOM! Lights out cricket bro.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
One of the coolest aspects of feeding is watching your T put a hunt on a unsuspecting cricket. Then BOOM! Lights out cricket bro.
I think it is kind funny when I first drop them in and my T ducks into their hole then sense it and slowly starts peeking out. It is actually kind of adorable when they are shy to food that is not near as big as them.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
OBT hunting crickets is the bees knees. Wait till you get some true bugs that literally teleport and sting their prey. I have been trying for a few months to get a good slo-mo. I need a $40k camera to actually cap their speed. They are eyesight hunters. Watch them tickle the prey before it's all over. T's ignore play dead prey. Assassin bugs will tickle it for 3 hours until it moves, then 1/100000th of a second its got it.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
My G. iheringi is a beast. It’s the only one that I actually drop the feeder a good distance so I can close up the lid because it will go from stationary to full lunatic. It’s 3” now, I’ve never experienced a T tackle it’s prey like this one.

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
Love watching the hunting behavior in all my arachnids.

Only one I have to tong feed is my A. Avic, cause if I don't put the cricket down right next to it then it never gets eaten and rots.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon

Only one I have to tong feed is my A. Avic, cause if I don't put the cricket down right next to it then it never gets eaten and rots.
If you like hunting behavior, may I suggest a true bug or toad of any species? Both are mainly sight hunters. If you have the coin they are absolutely worth it.

Craig73

Arachnoangel

I feel you on that. My A. Minatrix I use tongs to put the feeder near The web tube entrance. It is so reclusive.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
You talk about tarantulas but have you seen assassin bugs, even feeding with tongs which is dangerous for some of the crazy ones I have, they jump a million miles per hour and they fight over food. The tongs are a big no no because mine try to climb up if they are in an angry mood. When I first got a t, I was surprised that it was jumping at the prey.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
You talk about tarantulas but have you seen assassin bugs, even feeding with tongs which is dangerous for some of the crazy ones I have, they jump a million miles per hour and they fight over food. The tongs are a big no no because mine try to climb up if they are in an angry mood. When I first got a t, I was surprised that it was jumping at the prey.
Silly dude. You put the prey in a cup then take the top off the assassin container and toss them in. You try to recap it but say a prayer for those that are still in the neighborhood as you run down the street. duh.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I learned this after feeding them the first time. Now I pray they forget they can climb plastic. I learned they can climb walls after I saw one on the lid. Now I check the top and sides before opening it. Still haven’t been bit and I hope I never do.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Aaand that's why I don't keep avics. Had one a couple years ago and got sick of the tong feeding real fast. Some people have no problems, but they're just not visually appealing enough for me to try another.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

That Avic has you trained.

All of you that suggest Avics need to have dinner served to them have proven one thing to me- you have all been outsmarted by an arachnid.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
• Caribena versicolor

Last edited:

Sterls

Arachnobaron
That Avic has you trained.

All of you that suggest Avics need to have dinner served to them have proven one thing to me- you have all been outsmarted by an arachnid.
I think you might be a little biased in favor of avics 😉

When the darn thing molts and fails to find dubias or crickets every week for 6+ weeks, what else are you to do? It's abdomen was absolutely tiny and I ran out of options.

Luckily my partner at the time was fine with the tong feeding it so I didn't really have to deal with it.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I always make a point to drop the feeder as far as possible from the T. In a matter of minutes or even less, they're caught. The only exception is when I use superworms, I'll drop them right next to the T so they don't get a chance to burrow out of grasp. Generally, they don't. Out of my foursome, my B. hamorii and T. albopilosus generally get their food first, but the G. porteri can have her moments too. The B. boehmei totally ignored food last time, so I suspect a molt is on the way. She's due for one, been almost 3 years since she last molted.

I've read about many horror stories of Ts (mainly Arboreal) running up the tongs and ending on an arm. No thanks.

Last edited:

TheHound

Arachnoknight
None of my tongs are soft-tipped, so I avoid even trying. Plus I love to watch them stalk. My T sabulosus always runs into its hide when I remove the cover of its enclosure (unless I'm reeeeallly gentle and take my time doing it) and put its prey in. Then about half a minute after I've replaced the lid it will emerge and set about stalking its prey. It even stalks mealworms that have had their heads crushed, probably fairly unnecessarily. My D pentaloris will stalk but it seems to be very lazy and sometimes seems to just wait until the prey runs up to it (which it often does). Unlike with the sabulosus I sometimes need to just leave the prey for a bit and when I come back it's gone. Maybe I need to feed it less often.

Anyway, there's nothing like watching a tarantula purposefully stalk forwards towards its prey, moving in stages, methodically and carefully pacing forward, stopping, then doing it again until it's practically tickling its prey, then... pounce. It's suppertime. Huge fun to watch.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

When the darn thing molts and fails to find dubias or crickets every week for 6+ weeks, what else are you to do? It's abdomen was absolutely tiny and I ran out of options.

Luckily my partner at the time was fine with the tong feeding it so I didn't really have to deal with it.
Not biased about their behavior, just their looks ;)

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Why would I ever tong feed and miss seeing their natural hunting and ambush behavior?? And I dont get y'all whho say you have to tong feed Aviculariinae mine hunt just fine, they have just grown lazy on you from being tong fed lol

cold blood

Staff member
maybe, he does like avics, but hes stil 110% right in his assertion.

Ive raised a ton of avic avics, like at least 8 sacs worth...i have yet to have any single individual avic need to be tong fed....its just not necessary at all, they hunt just fine.