People that handle their hot T's

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Spiders and tarantulas have coexisted along mankind for a very long time. Just because they're not on leashes in OUR country, doesn't mean they don't have a relationship with the natives. People have eaten tarantulas for a very long time, and they have eaten dog too. And there are loads and loads of folklore based on native observing spiders/tarantulas. The comparison is in the bite rate. The issue here is people handling hot ts, and the reason it is an issue is due to potential envenomation (the pain and discomfort involved). Dogs don't have venom, dogs are fuzzy and cuddly, dogs have four legs not eight, dogs are much bigger than a tarantula, dogs are sooo different. SO WHAT? The issue here we're talking about is getting bit due to handling. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my comparison. Where did you get your physics degree? cracker jack box? you ought to know that the real deal is in connections, not divisions. Sure, divisions help us to study things more closely, but the real deal is in connections, how everything is connected. If you really knew anything about physics it would show in your posts. You apparently just went through the motions without really thinking about the concepts involved.

Fran, don't you ever really think before you post comments or do you just see a comment you don't like and rather than giving it thought you attack it outright?? I think perhaps you need to re-read what I wrote. Yes, it IS about exposing oneself to danger. When I was growing up, I knew a woman who was severely mauled by her faithful saint bernards. She had to have them put down. Now i love dogs but the truth of it is that we ALL know what dogs are capable of. For most people, dogs are unnecessary pets. We have them because we want them, not because we need them. And in having them, we are exposing ourselves to the same statistics as everyone else. We live with that chance that something could go terribly wrong. And it's every where we go, not just at home with our dogs or tarantulas, or up on a wind turbine, or crossing the street, it's everywhere. We take much larger risks on a daily basis.

So are you saying, Fran, that taking a risk is unacceptable unless there is a benefit to YOU? Well, you are entitled to see it the way you want.

Someone mentioned Steve Irwin (great man) because I used the word "mate".

Fran, in case you've forgotten, you were a "stupid kid" once too, and by the sounds of it, may still be. Why you feel the need to tell me to live my life as I see fit is beyond me. After all, it is my life, and it's not negatively effecting you, so why do you feel the need to give me "permission" to do as I please as if you have some authority to give permission? I don't need yours. All people are connected, but all people are individuals as well. It's what makes life beautiful. So live a little. Take some risks that aren't going to necessarily benefit you.

My myself, I take risks just breathing. It doesn't matter what we do in life, when our number is up, it's up. Doesn't matter how careful you are, or aren't. When that time comes, the fat lady sings, and nothing can stop that.
Fran is a big angry body builder, take what he says with a pinch of salt.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What I see in that video is a person who is obviously knowledgeable and confident handling tarantulas making what many of us would consider poor judgement decisions. He actually did a lot of things right here (like removing the shirt).

With T's the greatest danger during handling is usually to the spider, not the handler. With hot herps (like say.... sidewinders?) the risk is greater. You could lose a finger, for example. I hope this guy learned a little lesson in exchange for his finger.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Fran is a big angry body builder, take what he says with a pinch of salt.
Holy crap, are you elocuent...
Should we laugh now? When? Or it wasnt suposed to be funny?

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

Spiders and tarantulas have coexisted along mankind for a very long time. Just because they're not on leashes in OUR country, doesn't mean they don't have a relationship with the natives. People have eaten tarantulas for a very long time, and they have eaten dog too. And there are loads and loads of folklore based on native observing spiders/tarantulas. The comparison is in the bite rate. The issue here is people handling hot ts, and the reason it is an issue is due to potential envenomation (the pain and discomfort involved). Dogs don't have venom, dogs are fuzzy and cuddly, dogs have four legs not eight, dogs are much bigger than a tarantula, dogs are sooo different. SO WHAT? The issue here we're talking about is getting bit due to handling. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my comparison. Where did you get your physics degree? cracker jack box? you ought to know that the real deal is in connections, not divisions. Sure, divisions help us to study things more closely, but the real deal is in connections, how everything is connected. If you really knew anything about physics it would show in your posts. You apparently just went through the motions without really thinking about the concepts involved.

Fran, don't you ever really think before you post comments or do you just see a comment you don't like and rather than giving it thought you attack it outright?? I think perhaps you need to re-read what I wrote. Yes, it IS about exposing oneself to danger. When I was growing up, I knew a woman who was severely mauled by her faithful saint bernards. She had to have them put down. Now i love dogs but the truth of it is that we ALL know what dogs are capable of. For most people, dogs are unnecessary pets. We have them because we want them, not because we need them. And in having them, we are exposing ourselves to the same statistics as everyone else. We live with that chance that something could go terribly wrong. And it's every where we go, not just at home with our dogs or tarantulas, or up on a wind turbine, or crossing the street, it's everywhere. We take much larger risks on a daily basis.

So are you saying, Fran, that taking a risk is unacceptable unless there is a benefit to YOU? Well, you are entitled to see it the way you want.

Someone mentioned Steve Irwin (great man) because I used the word "mate".

Fran, in case you've forgotten, you were a "stupid kid" once too, and by the sounds of it, may still be. Why you feel the need to tell me to live my life as I see fit is beyond me. After all, it is my life, and it's not negatively effecting you, so why do you feel the need to give me "permission" to do as I please as if you have some authority to give permission? I don't need yours. All people are connected, but all people are individuals as well. It's what makes life beautiful. So live a little. Take some risks that aren't going to necessarily benefit you.

My myself, I take risks just breathing. It doesn't matter what we do in life, when our number is up, it's up. Doesn't matter how careful you are, or aren't. When that time comes, the fat lady sings, and nothing can stop that.
I see that what I said went right over your head. You didnt even get a word.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

Fine. Is this what you want?

1) It wasn't an observation. It was an opinion.

2) It's not so much of a comparison as a contrast.

3) Please point out specifically what you consider to be nonsense, since you're sooo serious about it.

4) Of course it has somewhat to do with the size of the damage, after all, if it were the bite of an odorous ant, who would care?

5) Doesn't matter how lovable a pet is or isn't, shoot, I've had plenty of dogs and cats, trained retrievers and labs to hunt duck, bred manx cats for a couple decades, and in all those years of my life have been bitten, scratched up something fierce. Doesn't matter what species you're handling, things can happen. You're creating a negative impression of the tarantula by saying they are soooo different from other life on earth. Physically, they are very different from a dog. If you look at fatalities caused by the animals, yes, they are very different. Dogs are far worse. 75% of bites come from dogs that are well-known and loved, not stray dogs. People "expose themselves to unnecessary risks" by having a dog, but you don't hear people saying: "NOOO!!! Don't touch Fido! He'll tear your arm off!!!! Just leave him in his cage, he likes it in there and he's just for display anyway. Just throw him a bone and fill his water-dish" Most people don't hesitate to rough-house or pet their dogs (handling them). Same with cats. Yet I've received far more "injuries" from dogs and cats than from spiders, bees or bugs put together. So my point is, if you have a family dog, you're taking a MUCH bigger risk than if you were to handle your tarantula. You want to talk about stupid risks of others, as if you don't take any yourself. I know otherwise. I suppose you see steroids as a "calculated risk" outweighed by the "benefit"?

6) If you expect me to read your comments even when I disagree with them, then you need to read my comments just the same. If you expect me to think about your comments and try to see where you're coming from, then you need to do the same.There's absolutely nothing wrong with the comparison I'm making. People can compare apples and oranges, bananas and pears, and who cares? They're different, but still have similarities. As does everything else in this world.

I don't have a problem with you calling me stupid. I don't mind admitting I'm stupid. Because the truth is, for every answer there are about 10,000 more questions to be asked and answers to be found. So for my sake, could you please point out which of the following categories you feel I fall into? Thanks!

1. lacking ordinary quickness and keenness of mind; dull.
2. characterized by or proceeding from mental dullness; foolish; senseless: a stupid question.
3. tediously dull, especially due to lack of meaning or sense; inane; pointless: a stupid party.
4. annoying or irritating; troublesome: Turn off that stupid radio.
5. in a state of stupor; stupefied: stupid from fatigue.
6. Slang . excellent; terrific.

One of my teachers used to call me "turtle" since the other students said I was slow. They thought it was funny until Dr. Wu pointed out that the turtle learns slow but takes the knowledge to heart, something like that.

So you can call me stupid, full of nonsense, blah blah blah, or you can be a man, and actually communicate something meaningful that others can gain something from. After all, it's not too "beneficial" for you to take the "risk" of showing how little you can comprehend by posting garbage in response to my comments.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Fine. Is this what you want?

1) It wasn't an observation. It was an opinion.

2) It's not so much of a comparison as a contrast.

3) Please point out specifically what you consider to be nonsense, since you're sooo serious about it.

4) Of course it has somewhat to do with the size of the damage, after all, if it were the bite of an odorous ant, who would care?

5) Doesn't matter how lovable a pet is or isn't, shoot, I've had plenty of dogs and cats, trained retrievers and labs to hunt duck, bred manx cats for a couple decades, and in all those years of my life have been bitten, scratched up something fierce. Doesn't matter what species you're handling, things can happen. You're creating a negative impression of the tarantula by saying they are soooo different from other life on earth. Physically, they are very different from a dog. If you look at fatalities caused by the animals, yes, they are very different. Dogs are far worse. 75% of bites come from dogs that are well-known and loved, not stray dogs. People "expose themselves to unnecessary risks" by having a dog, but you don't hear people saying: "NOOO!!! Don't touch Fido! He'll tear your arm off!!!! Just leave him in his cage, he likes it in there and he's just for display anyway. Just throw him a bone and fill his water-dish" Most people don't hesitate to rough-house or pet their dogs (handling them). Same with cats. Yet I've received far more "injuries" from dogs and cats than from spiders, bees or bugs put together. So my point is, if you have a family dog, you're taking a MUCH bigger risk than if you were to handle your tarantula. You want to talk about stupid risks of others, as if you don't take any yourself. I know otherwise. I suppose you see steroids as a "calculated risk" outweighed by the "benefit"?

6) If you expect me to read your comments even when I disagree with them, then you need to read my comments just the same. If you expect me to think about your comments and try to see where you're coming from, then you need to do the same.There's absolutely nothing wrong with the comparison I'm making. People can compare apples and oranges, bananas and pears, and who cares? They're different, but still have similarities. As does everything else in this world.

I don't have a problem with you calling me stupid. I don't mind admitting I'm stupid. Because the truth is, for every answer there are about 10,000 more questions to be asked and answers to be found. So for my sake, could you please point out which of the following categories you feel I fall into? Thanks!

1. lacking ordinary quickness and keenness of mind; dull.
2. characterized by or proceeding from mental dullness; foolish; senseless: a stupid question.
3. tediously dull, especially due to lack of meaning or sense; inane; pointless: a stupid party.
4. annoying or irritating; troublesome: Turn off that stupid radio.
5. in a state of stupor; stupefied: stupid from fatigue.
6. Slang . excellent; terrific.

One of my teachers used to call me "turtle" since the other students said I was slow. They thought it was funny until Dr. Wu pointed out that the turtle learns slow but takes the knowledge to heart, something like that.

So you can call me stupid, full of nonsense, blah blah blah, or you can be a man, and actually communicate something meaningful that others can gain something from. After all, it's not too "beneficial" for you to take the "risk" of showing how little you can comprehend by posting garbage in response to my comments.
I vote "5. in a state of stupor; stupefied: stupid from fatigue."

{D

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

This is what I love about the internet.. the ambiguity, you can't see my facial expression so you will never know! {D (Dam I let the cat out of the bag, stupid emotes)

I was joking by the way, I am a body builder myself so no prejudice haha..

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This thread is supposed to be about handling "hot" tarantulas. Can we keep the discussion to that without being insulting?

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
These handling threads allways turns out this way, before you know it, insults are thrown out from both sides. Too bad we cant discuss it in a civil manner. No sides really has the truth about how it stresses a T. Just personal oponoins.

But what is handling! I use my hands/fingers when transferring 150 p ornata slings when seperating them, is this really handling?

It will take forever to seperate them with tools.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There are many old world species that have had systemic symptoms described in many of the bite reports, tkid. Muscle cramps (heart is a muscle), nausea and possibly fever seem to be pretty common.

baboonfan

Arachnopeon
Crazy video. I never handled any of mine and I never will. Why anyone would take such risk is beyond me.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As I said, it all boils down to the same.
I have quite more important things in life to do that getting bit by an arachnid or a snake , just because I couldnt resist the once in a life time thrill- oh need for living - experience of handling it.

Not all of us have the same interest :confused:...as well as clearly not all of us share the same inteligence.

Anyway, let me menction...

So once more, you are comparing having a dog, a far more inteligent DOMESTICATED FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS animal, with handling an arachnid.

Obviously theres not much I can do to explain you the difference. One only go so far...
So hey, since people go to wars lets all play with guns. Wars are a much greater risk, so nothing wrong with playing John Wayne with a loaded gun.

About the steroid use:

1: You dont know the very first thing about steroids.

2: You are suggesting that I take ilegal drugs. Be careful what you suggest, unless you want to put your money where your mouth is and pay for a full blood work /urine.
I will gladly take it. Since you wont do anything, save us the crap. And be more creative, the steroid cheap shot is very old news when arguing with me.

3: If you take them just to look "good" it is a quite stupid risk. Being 40 with an inner body of a 90 year old , just for a couple of years of "looking good" it is a very stupid move.
The steroids are a reasonable risk when you are dedicating your life to a certain sport. Yes, it is a risk that sooner or later an athlete that wants to go to the top of his
carreer will have to consider. Once again, your examples are absolutely invalid and out of place.

Last edited:

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
These handling threads allways turns out this way, before you know it, insults are thrown out from both sides. Too bad we cant discuss it in a civil manner. No sides really has the truth about how it stresses a T. Just personal oponoins.

But what is handling! I use my hands/fingers when transferring 150 p ornata slings when seperating them, is this really handling?

It will take forever to seperate them with tools.
This^... Until we actually understand Ts more, every thread about handling will end up like this one.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As I said, it all boils down to the same.
I have quite more important things in life to do that getting bit by an arachnid or a snake , just because I couldnt resist the once in a life time thrill- oh need for living - experience of handling it.
My you have a manipulative way of speaking. I have never considered being bit by a t or a snake while handling or even handling without being bitten as something "important" in life, and have never seen it as a "once in a life time thrill" "need for living" or any other garbage.

Not all of us have the same interest :confused:...as well as clearly not all of us share the same inteligence.

Anyway, let me menction...

So once more, you are comparing having a dog, a far more inteligent DOMESTICATED FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS animal, with handling an arachnid.
Yes, and you are repeatedly stating the obvious.

Obviously theres not much I can do to explain you the difference. One only go so far...
So hey, since people go to wars lets all play with guns. Wars are a much greater risk, so nothing wrong with playing John Wayne with a loaded gun.
I have stated the difference quite plainly. Are you not reading my comments?? Comparing a t to an inanimate object such as a gun is even further away than a dog in comparison! Not to mention, that like dogs, guns can kill you, t's can't. Yet people handle those frequently!

About the steroid use:

1: You dont know the very first thing about steroids.

2: You are suggesting that I take ilegal drugs. Be careful what you suggest, unless you want to put your money where your mouth is and pay for a full blood work /urine.
I will gladly take it. Since you wont do anything, save us the crap. And be more creative, the steroid cheap shot is very old news when arguing with me.
Hahaha! What money?? Save "us" the crap? you mean, save "you" the crap?

I know far more than you think I do, about steroids, and about you.

3: If you take them just to look "good" it is a quite stupid risk. Being 40 with an inner body of a 90 year old , just for a couple of years of "looking good" it is a very stupid move.
The steroids are a reasonable risk when you are dedicating your life to a certain sport. Yes, it is a risk that sooner or later an athlete that wants to go to the top of his
carreer will have to consider. Once again, your examples are absolutely invalid and out of place.
I have had very close friends into bodybuilding and I have the perfect body for it myself. I do work on my own body, but only for toning and muscle strength for self-defense purposes, not for bulking up. So, you are entitled to your opinion and to your lies and manipulation. Just remember to keep it real when it really matters.

As far as handling hot t's, people are entitled to do so, and people who don't wish to don't have to. And people are welcome to have any thought or opinion that they please. Myself, I handle occasionally, sometimes looking forward to it, other times a little skittish of it, depending upon the species.

Last edited:

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Handling any dangerous animal is something that the individual has to determine if the benefit is greater than the risk. No matter if you are handling to impress someone, to just get an adrenaline rush, or just to feel a bond with nature. Yes, there is risk involved. But lets be realistic, even the worst T bite will not kill you. So there is a lot worse things that people do for no real reason, other than they enjoy it.

Lets look at skydiving as an example. I know plenty people that ask the question, why would someone jump out of a perfectly good plane. Yet, there are other people that they never feel more alive than during the free fall.

I guess what I am saying is don't knock me for what I do and I won't knock you for what you do.

Art

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'll just mention this without argument and quietly slink away. About 2 years ago (the thread is on the ATS forum if you care to search for it) one of the members built a beautiful new habitat for their Poecilotheria metallica and spent all day creating it. Tired and much later in the day, he moved his beautiful girl into her new home and promptly forgot to properly fasten the front screen to the cage. You can read the details, but she escaped and got into the crevices of his masonry fireplace. During his attempt to retrieve her he was tagged. This resulted in several hours passed out on the tile floor and the ultimate loss of his job due to the physical effects of the bite. This was an ACCIDENTAL situation. Risking something like the cost of an emergency room visit, weeks of cramps and debilitating pain so you can impress others voluntarily with your "skills" might be what floats some of your boats and that's your choice, but mentioning that you may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer is mine.
Diane

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Risking something like the cost of an emergency room visit, weeks of cramps and debilitating pain so you can impress others voluntarily with your "skills" might be what floats some of your boats and that's your choice, but mentioning that you may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer is mine.
Diane
I am so glad I'm not in this to impress others, nor do I consider handling a spider, tarantula, scorpion, centipede, millipede, etc., etc. to be a "skill". Hopefully you're not a dull knife by thinking that everyone who handles their animals do so only for the reasons you state above!