People just keep giving us snakes!

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Folks I work with keep giving them to us. I can't turn them down though now can I?
FIrst one is a little Ball Python than these people just let roam around their house. It was a little worse for the wear but it's fattening up and looking very healthy now. We have been giving all of them the proper uv spectrum and very nice enclosures as well and spoiling them as best we can. :)

Attachments

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This one was given to us just over a week ago and also just shed. It's (he? she? I dunno yet) very sweet and was well kept by it's former owner. He just wanted to focus on keeping fish from now on....go figger! :?

Oh, I'm not sure what morph this is. Can anyone tell me?

Attachments

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This big adult Ball was just brought over today. The former owner decided it wasn't receiving the attention it deserved from his kids. I guess the novelty wore off and they stopped spending time with it. Very sweet temperment as well. It's little rough around the edges but I think it's next shed will make a big difference.

Attachments

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LAst pic...

The guy also included this super cool double-decker enclosure. The shoe box will be replaced with a nicer hide.(you can see the snake peeking out from the shoebox) How about that!

Well, I guess it's kind of nice to be known to care for exotics around town huh?

Atrax

Attachments

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The corn looks like an amelanistic, or what some call a red albino. From what I've read, if it doesn't have any white around its saddles it would be considered a sunglow, I think.

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't know what kind that orange-red one is but its sure pretty:D Also like that double-decker cage, that's cool.
Becky

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What morph corn...

Amelenistic is what you have there. Joy is right in that no white around the saddles make it sunglow. Amels also have a ton of variety between individuals so some look way different but that is indeed an Amel. As to what sex throw in a tail pic from the underside and also from the side and it's easy to tell. Pretty much like with the majority of colubrids the males have a longer tail the tapers more slowly where the female has a shorter more tapered tail. On corns it is very easy to tell just by looking once you've seen a few.

Phil

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
atrax, that double decker enclosure is very cool! I have never seen anything like that............I wonder if that is made for rodents?
Ed

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
nice snakes atrax!

oh, btw, snakes dont need UV lighting, just a photoperiod.
but if you already have it, it can't hurt :)

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
DD! What's up? Haven't seen you about in forever!
Yeah, I'm not sure if it's UV exactly but it's one of those reptile bulbs you get at the petstore. There's day bulbs and night bulbs. I thought they needed some kind of full light spectrum or something but I'm kind of new with snakes...but I am learning. The lights are also helping for warmth. If you (or anyone else) wouldn't mind elaborating on the photoperiod or light requirements (or lack of) of these snakes I would definitely appreciate it.

Thanks! :)

Atrax

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm bumping this up in hopes of an answer

Hello again. I am doing some on-line research but any or all tips would still be very helpful.

Thanks. :)

Atrax

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Atrax, DD is right, full-spectrum won't hurt one bit. It's not really necessary. You can use a regular light bulb that you get at any grocery store. I've used them for 2 years with no ill effects. What I use is a combination of heating pad and light bulb, or if the ambient room temperature at my place isn't generally too cold for the species, i.e. North American colubrids, I use either a heating pad or light bulb alone. I like to provide snakes with a photoperiod, so, what I do is set the light on a timer (and change the amount of daylight hours according to the season). The heating pad runs 24/7, so the pad runs at night when the lights go out. It's always worked quite well for me.

Believe you me, with multiple snakes, typical household bulbs are far cheaper. Plus that, the big range of wattages (from 7.5 to 100) makes it easy to play around with wattages to get the correct temps. Pet stores spotlights are rip-off prices. They're the same thing as spotlights you can get at Lowe's or Home Depot. The only difference is that they have the name slapped on to them so they can raise the prices.

Bry

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Atrax
DD! What's up? Haven't seen you about in forever!
Yeah, I'm not sure if it's UV exactly but it's one of those reptile bulbs you get at the petstore. There's day bulbs and night bulbs. I thought they needed some kind of full light spectrum or something but I'm kind of new with snakes...but I am learning. The lights are also helping for warmth. If you (or anyone else) wouldn't mind elaborating on the photoperiod or light requirements (or lack of) of these snakes I would definitely appreciate it.

Thanks! :)

Atrax
I use cheap fluorescent shop light fixtures (one bulb per fixture) with cheap fluorescent shop light bulbs (as a matter of fact I just changed all the bulbs out to the new lower wattage fluoresecent bulbs and will end up using less than half the electricity for the same brightness). the only animals I have U.V. lights for are my lizards. I am using a photoperiod of 12/12 with digital timers by intermatic. IMHO if you are spending the extra money for U.V. lights for snakes you are wasting your money. I don't use vitamens/calcium supplements for my snakes either, just the lizards and frogs get the supplements.
Ed

Last edited: