People getting out of the hobby

US Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have noticed that alot of people are getting out of the hobby.
Whats your reasoning for leaving the hobby and do you think you'll get back into the hobby?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's either money-related, or enlisting in the military, or moving, or no time/interest, or...

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's either money-related, or enlisting in the military, or moving, or no time/interest, or...
That's what I was gonna say. All the fs with people getting out the hobby that I have seen have been due to military or a baby on the way reasons. I hope I never have to sell off my entire collection

Matt

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've been gradually parting with more and more of my collection but not for the reasons mentioned above. I don't know if I'll ever be "out" of the hobby but I need to reduce the number of T's to a point where I can move with them easily and don't have to dedicate an entire room to their care.

I'm down to about 40 now. If I can reduce to a bakers dozen I think I'll be ok. It's getting tough now though. I've gotten rid of some Avics and Nhandu's and Rosies but what's left are all very special to me. I mean, there's no way I could ever sell my big female P. regalis, GBB or P. cambridgei. And those 2 B. smithi slings are offspring of my first tarantula! And so on...

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Military

I might ask some one to hang on to my Ts or I may have to sell them come this summer as I have my training for the military then so I can see that as being a major barrier for some people.

Last edited:

US Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lol yeah I agree. alot of them are hard to part with. When I stop the numbers at my full collection its only going to consist of the Brachypelma/Grammostola species/ Maybe even a few Acanthoscurria species and maybe like 1 green bottle blue, Ahh I might keep going lol Its almost like an addiction

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
miltary

im leaving for that too, but in the meantime im having my parents watch over the T's so i have to train my dad on what to do.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
-Moving in a smaller house
-need for money so sold a few
-Touring artist, and my house lost power during the winter while I was away
-Some people won't come to my house if my Ts are too much in your face.

I will re-upscale when I'll have a bigger house with a dedicated room for them. People don't mind a few scattered terras, but a wall full of them...

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
-Moving in a smaller house
-need for money so sold a few
-Touring artist, and my house lost power during the winter while I was away
-Some people won't come to my house if my Ts are too much in your face.

I will re-upscale when I'll have a bigger house with a dedicated room for them. People don't mind a few scattered terras, but a wall full of them...
Yes but you aren't leaving the Hobby right?

Downsizing is natural I think.. as you collect then thin out the ones you feel you want to put the effort into.

I'd be happy to sell/give away a few of my NW species.

Big_nito

TRISKELION
Old Timer
Downsizing

I think thats my problem. I was downsizing my collection 2 months ago in preparation for the coming winter (heating system in my apartment is so unpredictable) and I was successful in selling 1/4 of my collection.:worship:. However:8o, these past few weeks, I got some good deals for Ts that I really want and now i ended up having more Ts compared to 2 months ago:?. Even my landlord is shaking his head everytime he comes to my apartment to pick up my rent. lol...{D:}

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
This hobby is a luxury, and in tough economic times I'd say this most common reason for people leaving.

For me, the most common problem over the years have been my living situations. Its not easy for a single guy, to afford an apartment, buy yourself , that allows "pets". I had to suck it up and move back home for a year, a while back to save my collection.

With this said, I've been collecting, breeding, and selling for many years now. I've seen a lot of people come and go over the years. I'm still friends with old collectors , and meet new ones all the time.:cool:

Later, Tom