• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Pelinobius muticus (senior synonym of Citharischius crawshayi)

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I knowticed a male for loan several months back, informed the owner and it was good to go. Because of the cold weather, we had to wait a couple weeks. I found as much data possible about their natural habitat and started as soon as I could. Here is what I did, every step:

Female molted on 4/12/07, so she was good to go.

3-4 weeks upon receiving the male, the female was fed once a week on lobster roaches. During this time, temps were 75 during the day-low 70's, high 60's at night. Himidity was a constant 30-35%. Pretty much a full water bowl was all she got at that time.

One week before receiving the male, I slowly bumped up the temp to a constant 78, but not humidity. Then fed her two times a week.

I get the male and wait for him to make a sperm web. As soon as he does, he is in there, no shark cage is required for this species. I just sat his KK in her tank, opened the lid, and let him walk out on his own.

The first mating was 11/25/07, second was 11/27/07, third one was 12/3/07, where she murdered him.

During the matings I fed her a lot and mixed up her diet. One month goes by and I see mites in her tank. So I decide to change out everything and let her start new. The tank was huge, i'm sure if you find the link, you'll see the pics. She had close to 25" to burrow. Not even a week after changing she had already made a nice burrow, as well as a chamber twice her size. Now is when I started with the flooding and heat and non stop food. I purchased a heat mat and a heat lamp. Put the mat on the back side on the tank, right where her chamber was. The heat lamp would hit anywhere from 83-90 deg. during the day. It would be on for 9 hours. Heat pad on 24/7. During all this I soaked the 'strate everyday, but didnt poor it directly down her burrow, some yes, but not a lot.

I repeated this stratagy for one month or so. towards the end of the month, I decreased the food to once a week, but kept temp and hum. high, and it still is. It will stay hot and humid until the slings hatch.

That pretty much wraps it all up! Here are a couple pictures:
First:

Second:

Third:

And the outcome:

I will not pull this sac. She seems to be acting good, so hopefully I can get them to hatch!

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just wanted to add some before and after pics:
Couldnt find a picture of her before I mated, but here she is a couple days before laying:

Now a recent one from 4 days ago:

Last edited:

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I pulled the sac yesterday, 10 days after it being laid. I pulled it because mites were present just under the sac itself. The eggs look great. Here are a couple pics of the settup I made and of the sac itself. The sac will remain in this settup until I see eggs with legs.

Just for note: In the incubator temps are 78-81 deg. Humidity is 80-90%.

Heres mom after laying:

Container:

I opened it up to take a look:

I'll have more updates when I see them.

Edit: Two pictures of the incubator:

Last edited:

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

First cup:

Second cup:

Looking good so far!

I'll have an update in about a week.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just wanted to add that the humidity in the incubator is not 92%, it is 80-85%. The temperature is anywhere from 78-85 deg. F.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Update

As of today, no eggs survived. They all turned black.

I have some back up males that are close to maturing. I will repeat exactly what I did with her, but I will keep the sac with her until I see the babies running around. We'll let nature take its coarse this time, without any interference.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Update: Sadly, this died. I will be receiving a couple more females next week. Freshly molted too. I will repeat everything just the same as I did, BUT this time, the sac is staying with mama the whole time.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
New Couple

I recieved this nice big female about a month ago.

I rehoused her into a very natural looking settup:

One month later she has done some extreme digging, but has stopped, been fed normaly, and has been mated 6 times. She has now clogged up her burrow and is putting on heavy weight.

Three weeks ago I increased her food to 3 times a week (one lrg dubia).
My main ideas on getting a sac from her (based on the previous female) will be increasing the temperature in the tank/burrow. I will soak her tank two times a week to mimic the rainy season which is breeding season in Kenya.

Here are a couple pictures and a video shot today of the successful mating.

Upon receiving her:

Two weeks ago:

Today:

Todays video:

I'll make sure and keep this report updated.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Introduced male on 12/4/08 to a big female that molted 2 months ago. Here is the video of the first encounter.

After a fresh sperm web, I tried them again tonight.
Although you cannot tell in the picture, there were three very successful insersions. Couldnt have went any better!

I will do exactly everything the same way I did before. I'll keep this thread updated after every mating and if she begins to gain weight.
I can see everything shes doing :)

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Shes not only getting fatter, but her abdomen is putting on more of a round shape, much like my other females did before laying

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Had to rehouse do to mold issue's in burrow. Plus it is what triggered the last female to drop a sac.

Shes big! :D

Hopefully something happens soon!!

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not sure what the outcome of this will be, but we'll soon find out!

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
AAAnd its not why she plugged up her burrow after all

I already have a MM coming in a week or two. I find this species so fascinating IMO. Just seeing how the first female made the hammock amazes me. So what am I going to do? Keeep on trying. :rolleyes:

I'll have this thread bumped back up in a month or so guys. :)

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She has been mated with this male three successful times before this one.

Gettin him warmed up

"Take DEEP breaths"

Everything seems to be going good

Couldnt get to him in time. :mad: Right after he made the insersion, it was all over in the blink of an eye.

Three successful insersions with this female, after three fresh sperm webs. Time will only tell.. :rolleyes:

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Update time folks! Here are some pics! :D
1 week ago

Today!

CB C. CRAWSHAYI SLINGS! I'm stoked! :p

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pelinobius muticus - SUCCESSFUL

Breeding report Pelinobius muticus: Successful
Possibly the first successful breeding in South Africa.
Date mated: Around April/May 2013 I would guess. No inserts were seen and she ate 2 males in the process. Males would tap and vibrate their third leg which got the female drumming back. The female would come out of the burrow and lift up ready to mate and as soon as the males tried to insert she would eat them.  Obviously one of the males managed to get a quick insert in though.
Date dropped: 18 July 2013. No idea on humidity, but temperature around 21 degrees celcius. Female was given no cooling/warming period and dropped with no additional flooding.

Date pulled: 19 July 2013. The female tore the sac down and was walking all over it, so decided to pull it. At this stage I still thought there was no insert, so the sac would be a dud, but incubated it anyway. Here is the makeshift incubator:

I would lift the sac twice a day and try and move the eggs around inside it. The sac was not opened till day 21.
EWL: 12 August 2013. Was just about giving up hope when a few finally emerged.

1st instar: 28 August 2013

2nd instar: 26 September 2013. Finally moulted to 2nd instar.

There were around 150 eggs to start off with, but only around 50 developed to EWL. The rest looked different to those that developed and pretty sure they were unfertilized. I suspect this may be because of the very quick insert as other muticus matings that I have heard of seem to take a minute or 2, whereas this must have been quicker than a pokie. Looks like around 40 will make it to 2nd instar. Not a huge haul, but very pleased anyway.