Pelinobius muticus king baboon

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have couple of king baboons around 1-1/2 and I have noticed for good while now one is more brown in color , and the other is more of the orange color like OBT . So can these be sexed by color or are there diff color forms of these sp, came from same dealer and yes both are king baboons :) I caint get a pic there buried in there burrow and only have a little window to look in on them, atleast they left me that much to pry into there lives lol maybe oneday they come top side and I get a pic

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Could the difference in color have something to do with lighting, tinted enclosures, or molt proximity? There isn't any sexual dimorphism (and definitely not by color) in P. muticus at that size, so maybe you're just seeing some natural individual level variation.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Probably just some natural variation, mine is actually more of an orange ala an OBT.

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I looked the containers over they are same color same brand ,and im using regular flash light ,both are under the sub in there burrows they both molted around 2 weeks ago and as far as I can tell same size lol there is definitely a color difference between the 2 pretty good one at that, wish I could get a pic but caint right now I dont want to disrupt there homes

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's interesting but I wouldn't think much of it, sometimes slings (in a variety of genus') have different colouration, it can just indicate that one is kind of a little 'ahead in maturity' regardless of the fact they are the same size. If you could get a pic I would be interested to see the variations though

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's interesting but I wouldn't think much of it, sometimes slings (in a variety of genus') have different colouration, it can just indicate that one is kind of a little 'ahead in maturity' regardless of the fact they are the same size. If you could get a pic I would be interested to see the variations though
Yeah I dont think much about it its just noticeable thought I talk little about it ,I will rehouse one day then I get a chance to take some good pics but slow as these rascals grow might be a year from now lol

hmbrower

Arachnosquire
Mine is a clear brown. Even though she is hard to get a good read on her color due to the fact that she rarely leaves her burrow! :)

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine is a clear brown. Even though she is hard to get a good read on her color due to the fact that she rarely leaves her burrow! :)
Mine going have leave burrow oneday haha cause I know they get bigger than the container now ,there cool in there own way

awiec

Arachnoprince
Mine going have leave burrow oneday haha cause I know they get bigger than the container now ,there cool in there own way
Mine likes to pop out at least once a day so I can monitor its progress and likes to stick its legs out of the tunnel system, I guess mine did not get the memo that's its supposed to be a pet hole.

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine likes to pop out at least once a day so I can monitor its progress and likes to stick its legs out of the tunnel system, I guess mine did not get the memo that's its supposed to be a pet hole.
Lol yeah that memo wish mine had missed it I have been planning putting them in a 20 gallon and split it one for one side and such and let them dig away lol think they would love it

awiec

Arachnoprince
Lol yeah that memo wish mine had missed it I have been planning putting them in a 20 gallon and split it one for one side and such and let them dig away lol think they would love it
I have a 5.5 gallon split for 3 of my T's and thats more than enough for them (the biggest is 2 inch), just make sure you use some caulk or secure that divider really well, hot glue didn't work out as well as I planned. I also made each T its own lid as they all have different personalities and I don't need my pamph, phorm and panay blue (almost as fast as my pokies) running around cause I accidentally spooked them while I was doing maintenance for one.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah I dont think much about it its just noticeable thought I talk little about it ,I will rehouse one day then I get a chance to take some good pics but slow as these rascals grow might be a year from now lol
Yeah it is interesting! I only have one, it was a kind of tannish brown but after moulting (only moulted once in my care so far) it's now a more lighter brown, I didn't really think about it til now. Wonder how many more shades it will go through lol

Mavic Rim

Arachnopeon
renewing this old thread! I got 2 as well, one is darker brown while the other is lighter brown. The darker brown has more stockier/thicker leg than the other...
bought from the same seller...

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
renewing this old thread! I got 2 as well, one is darker brown while the other is lighter brown. The darker brown has more stockier/thicker leg than the other...
bought from the same seller...
Kept and bred P. muticus before, also my favorite species above all. I found that at the 3 inch mark some females will show the thicker legs or even earlier like 2.5" . Males will not show any of those thick bag legs at all stages.

With the color, they do have some range of browns and I have a juvenile right now that's on the more reddish rusty side.

cold blood

Staff member
Old thread, but for those wondering....

No, you cannot sex them like that....its all about where they are in their molt cycle...the more brightly colored one merely molted more recently.