Peek a Boo - Fun with the I.mira Tarantulas

Trenor

Arachnoprince
So, it had been a while since I'd seen either of my I.mira Ts out. One built it's burrow against the side of the enclosure and I can usually see it. But when I looked, it wasn't to be found anywhere. I knew where it's trap door was so I took my long tweezers and gently lifted it up. There it was waiting on food.

Check out those feet. :)

I fed both and was going to get a photo of just the second one's trap door and it brought it's toes back up like it was trying for more food. :D

Anyway, I was pretty amused so I thought I would share.

basin79

ArachnoGod
So, it had been a while since I'd seen either of my I.mira Ts out. One built it's burrow against the side of the enclosure and I can usually see it. But when I looked, it wasn't to be found anywhere. I knew where it's trap door was so I took my long tweezers and gently lifted it up. There it was waiting on food.

Check out those feet. :)

I fed both and was going to get a photo of just the second one's trap door and it brought it's toes back up like it was trying for more food. :D

Anyway, I was pretty amused so I thought I would share.
I can't believe how fast these are. Even at 120fps they don't look slow.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I can't believe how fast these are. Even at 120fps they don't look slow.
They are quick when they want to be. I keep forgetting how small they are. They are a neat species that doesn't need a lot of room and is interesting to keep.

basin79

ArachnoGod
They are quick when they want to be. I keep forgetting how small they are. They are a neat species that doesn't need a lot of room and is interesting to keep.
I've only had my lass a few weeks and she's shed in that time. So, so quick though to grab a cricket that's walking by. I'm so chuffed I've managed to get a couple of vids of my lass feeding. And more chuffed I took some pics of her when she arrived.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I've only had my lass a few weeks and she's shed in that time. So, so quick though to grab a cricket that's walking by. I'm so chuffed I've managed to get a couple of vids of my lass feeding. And more chuffed I took some pics of her when she arrived.
I have a few feeding vids and they are usually out more. It has been time for them to molt so I image that was why they have been so scarce lately.

If I want to get a nice video of the feeding I cheat. I know where their openings are and I'll place a legless crushed head roach on the hinge side of the opening just a bit back. They have to come out and around to get it which gives you a good amount of video time on them.

It's nice to get a fast pop as the prey walks by but like you said it is over so fast.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I have a few feeding vids and they are usually out more. It has been time for them to molt so I image that was why they have been so scarce lately.

If I want to get a nice video of the feeding I cheat. I know where their openings are and I'll place a legless crushed head roach on the hinge side of the opening just a bit back. They have to come out and around to get it which gives you a good amount of video time on them.

It's nice to get a fast pop as the prey walks by but like you said it is over so fast.
I must admit I'm absolutely loving the quick attack. Slo-mo gives you at least a couple of seconds to see bits of sub fly up all over the place.

My lass trapped. Made her home and I fed her. Tried her again a couple of weeks later and nothing. Waited again and she took. The day after she kicked a shed out. Must have been from at least 1 week earlier. Probably 10-14 days.

I was extremely surprised at just how small they are.

The phrase "good things come in small packages" is very apt.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I must admit I'm absolutely loving the quick attack. Slo-mo gives you at least a couple of seconds to see bits of sub fly up all over the place.

My lass trapped. Made her home and I fed her. Tried her again a couple of weeks later and nothing. Waited again and she took. The day after she kicked a shed out. Must have been from at least 1 week earlier. Probably 10-14 days.

I was extremely surprised at just how small they are.

The phrase "good things come in small packages" is very apt.
Yeah, I have them in some of these boxes and they will likely not have to be changes out into new enclosures until they are fully grown. Sometimes I think they are bigger than the are because i'm looking at my cropped photos on a big computer screen.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Yeah, I have them in some of these boxes and they will likely not have to be changes out into new enclosures until they are fully grown. Sometimes I think they are bigger than the are because i'm looking at my cropped photos on a big computer screen.
I have my lass in a big round tub with about 6-7" of substrate. I wasn't sure just how deep they dug.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I have my lass in a big round tub with about 6-7" of substrate. I wasn't sure just how deep they dug.
One of mine went to the bottom and made a decent sized burrow against the side. I can't tell what the other one did since it never hit a side or the bottom. It dug something out pretty good though due to the amount of dirt left up top.

basin79

ArachnoGod
One of mine went to the bottom and made a decent sized burrow against the side. I can't tell what the other one did since it never hit a side or the bottom. It dug something out pretty good though due to the amount of dirt left up top.
I started of a little hole in the centre of the tub. I wanted her to have full privacy. Makes feeding awkward though as the crickets are just like trailer park girls and go round the outside.