pede problems?

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok, well i had my centipede id'd on this board a few weeks ago, a S . Cingulata I belive.

Well, he doesnt seem to be ill or anything but never really moves around - he spends all his time under his hide. Plus he never seems to eat unless I actually grab small criks with tongs and stick them in front of him.

So... I keep him the same as my T's maybe 70 -80 temp and the same humidity - I assume this to be right?

Anyone else have experience with this sp.? Or any helpful tips for keeping pedes at all?

Anyway - any advice on the eating habits of these plus how active are they and maybe a bit of info about moulting might be handy.

Cheers people,

Stu.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
I had 3 cingutatas a couple of years ago,....
It's formely known that this species spend most of their time under the substrate or hiding place,... most scolopendras are not active at daytime, when you go look at them in the middle of the night there mostly very active!!!!, i tried using some "redlight" to examine their behaviour in the day, but no succes, they only come out at night :D

I used to feed my cingulata 1big cricket every weekend, had no probs wih their feeding behaviour.

Hopefully this is any good for you,....

I'm planning on hunting some cingulatas in my Holliday in Spain over 2 weeks, iff i'm correct "genious_gr" a guy on this forum has also a couple of cingulata's wild caught from Greece, maybe he has some more info here :D ;)

greetz

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
wow, that's an old thread that I hadn't noticed.... For what it's worth, I really dont have any better info on the cingulatas.
I could describe where I find them though.

Well, I find them mostly in olive-tree fields or in the fields around those. Generally on dry soil, but in a humid hiding place (Under rocks duh). I also found some under rocks surrounded by moss.

Well, I havent really had great chance with them either and I'm trying once again now...

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I also think that you keep them too warm.
The Greek S.cingulatas can tolerate temperatures even below 0 C..
Cannot comment on S.cingulata captured in other countries though.

I keep mine in room temperature which is now around 18 during night and 22 during day time.

However temperature variations will NOT change their behaviour.
I think that "staying under stones" is writen in their DNA ;)

Melmoth

ArachnoSweetTalker
Old Timer
Stu,
I had a cingulata from Greece--olive fields- as mentioned by our Greek buddy Genious. It died earlier this year.I had no way of knowing it's age as somebody brought it back from holiday.I never saw it feed all the time I had it,only ever fed under cover of darkness.Like yours spent all it's time under it's bark hide. Interesting point about the temperature being too high.I kept it at same temp as my African pedes.Maybe this hastened it's end. :(
George

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
heh, cheers for the replies fellas - this was an old post of mine :)

Sadly the cingulata in question died about a month ago for unknown reasons.

He seemed to be doing a lot better over the past 6 months, eating well although still hidden 99.9% of the time.

He was about 4 to 5 inch long when he died - how big do cingulata get?

Maybe as people have said I was keeping him too warm, I kept him around the 70's in temp, the same as my T's - He was kept in a plastic tank - about 10 inch by 7 inch with 2 to 3 inch of substrate, a peice of cork bark for a hide and a small (bottle top) waterdish. I kept the substrate fairly dry but made sure the water was always topped up.

I dont seem to have very good luck with pedes - 2 of my yellow legged plings have died on me as well since I have been keeping them :(

cheers,

Stu.

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I believe 4-5 inches is their adult length. I had the same thing happen with my cingulata, while it appeared to do better: It was eating and I got to see it a couple of times, I found it dead one day...

<edit - Nice Try ;) - MrD>

Last edited by a moderator: