Pede or scorp?

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ello,

When time and cash allows I'll order a pede or scorp, which one do you reccomend? both the pedes and scorps in question costs about 32 us dollars. The pede was called "thailand scolopender" no idea what it can be though :p and the scorps just "black scorpion", or "giant black" (prob. imperator). so what to order? ;)

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
In my opinion, go with a pede, but that's just because scorpions never did anything for me. Pedes are just so "evil" compared to anything else - pure unadulterated predator in their behavior. Scorps, eh, just not my thing.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I vote for 'pede as well. I've always found scorpions to be kind of boring, to be honest. Centipedes are mean, active, and appear pretty smart for a bug :) When I finally get another one, it's going to get a lot of attention!

-Bryan

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Definitely get a centipede. If it was any scorpion other than a P. Imperator, perhaps you might have trouble picking one... But I definitely say go for the centipede. I recently traded in my P. Imperator for an S. Subspinipes.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd say order the one that appeals to you the most! :)

Beyond that, you'll find a lot more information about the care of your scorpion than about the centipede, especially since the scorpion is probably either Pandinus or Heterometrus, both commonly kept and popular genera with similar care requirements. Not much is known about the longevity and captive reproduction of centipedes, while this is much better understood for scorpions. Although I like centipedes alot, I always consider purchasing them I bit of a gamble.

Wade

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks for the advice all :)

yeah the gamble thingy.. i mean; is there any difference in longevity from male to female pede? and how much chance to get a specimen with enough years left of its life? hmm.. but i must admit, the evil of the pede's fascinate me ;)

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't think it's really known concerning longevity... This hobby has only been around for a few years... Plus it's also very hard to sex pedes unless you dissect them or they have eggs. From my understanding most pedes live a few years after they are full grown... IE S. Subspinipes usually live 5-7 years after they are fully mature, given the right environment of course.

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If longevity is your concern, consider a Desert Hairy Scorpion to my knowledge they are very long lived even outliving some T's.