Pede is freaking out!

LaneyKaz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a quick question....I have a centipede that i've had for a couple years now....it has been pretty mellow until lately but now i find it circling the tank and freaking out..flailing all over the place...Is this normal?? There isn't anything in the tank that could harm it and it has water and the substrate is just right. I haven't been feeding really often...maybe once every other week like i always have. Any feedback would be appreciated..i don't want it to be unhappy but i'm not sure what it is trying to tell me! Thanks! :)

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Sometimes they run around a lot, there's a good chance it means nothing. I have one circling the cage right now that's been sitting still for days.

LaneyKaz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well this isn't the usual circling of the tank like normal...it's literally flipping around thrashing against the side of the tank so hard that its flipping itself over. It's crazy...he's gone psycho on me! Hopefully it's nothing but if anyone has any idea what might be going on, i would love to know! :confused:

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sounds like something neurological....maybe. Any chance it's been exposed to an insecticide or other toxin? The other thing that comes to mind is that it's got something irritating it physically. Like mites, an irritant in the substrate (mold, chemical, etc.) or something in the atmosphere (any air fresheners used near it lately?). How deep is the substrate you're keeping it in? What are you using as a substrate?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What species is it? I have some adult Sc. heros pedes. I see them out and walking around in terrs more in September and Oct if it's warm enough, maybe a seasonal thing. I've seen some mating in Sept. But I've seen them actively walking around later in Sept and not interested in mating at all. I've seen them(4 that I remember) walking around in the wild at 3 in the afternoon in desert areas in w texas in Sept, not many but kind of surprising to see them out in the day. I sat and watched them, they really looked like they were hunting for food attacking any little thing. I tried to get one to crawl on a stick, it attacked the stick like it might be something alive, something to eat. So I don't know, maybe some get restless at times of the year, maybe looking for food to fill up on and a good place to go dormant if the weather demands it. Just today, I saw one really working on digging deep in the substrate and pushing dirt around.