Peat or Peat Moss?

cweg

Arachnopeon
Hey all,

Whats the difference between "peat" and "peat moss" and "sphagnum peat" I am looking to up size my enclosures and want to use peat and vermic. for my substrate. Saw a few different kinds at the garden store. thanks.

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Peat would be commonly used to refered to completely broken down organic matter in several types of moss, and dirt, etc. Peat moss is a term commonly refered to completely broken down organic matter of only different types of moss. Sphagnum peat would be only broken down organic matter of sphagnum moss. I would go with 100% Peat because it will hold humidity better, considering it contains both soil and moss and there is no need to mix the substrate.

adios,
edw. :D

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sphagnum moss is the moss that's not broken down, peat is the broken down form of shagnum moss.

Steve

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by cweg
Hey all,

Whats the difference between "peat" and "peat moss" and "sphagnum peat" I am looking to up size my enclosures and want to use peat and vermic. for my substrate. Saw a few different kinds at the garden store. thanks.
I think sphagnum peat moss is the tarantula substrate that is most commonly used of the three. Its cheap, non-toxic, and its easy on the T's body. Some like to mix it 50-50 with vermiculite. I personally use 100% sphagnum peat moss with great success.