Peat moss?

Bhickman

Arachnosquire
Wondering if any peat moss is ok. Getting 2 new slings 1 is an A. Metallica was wanting to put some peat moss in with it. Just wondering if any brand is ok locally can get miracle grow but I believe has plant food in it. I also found this supposedly organic moss. Just wanted to check with you all pretty new to this. These will be our 2nd and 3rd T's. Getting g. Pulchra 1 3/4" and the A. Metallica 1 1/2" I'll post a pic of the organic moss I found online at our local lowes. Thanks in advance for all the help. You guys have been awesome still learning alot lol. Constantly reading and watching 066807150317lg.jpg

aphono

Arachnobaron
Be a bit careful with "organic"- sometimes it means manure added. Not good for moist enclosures in particular.

I've seen fair amount of comments about tarantulas not liking to walk on moss. Not much of a problem for the metallica but might be for the pulchra.

If pulchra likes dry substrate, check out topsoil from Lowes or Home Depot. The very cheapest- it is either a dollar or two plus change per bag. Earthgro is a "proven" brand that works for dry sub tarantulas. If you see another brand, make sure to read the label for manure or "barnyard products" added.

I don't know if it is okay to use when moist/very moist substrate is needed, though..

Cocofiber is the standard for pretty much everything so if you are not sure, just go with that. Eco Terra is an often used brand.

I'd been using eco terra for everything, finally got a bag of Earthgro topsoil and used it for rehousing a GBB(likes bone dry sub). Have to say I like the looks of it much better than cocofiber.. More naturalistic and pleasing to the eye.

Bhickman

Arachnosquire
Be a bit careful with "organic"- sometimes it means manure added. Not good for moist enclosures in particular.

I've seen fair amount of comments about tarantulas not liking to walk on moss. Not much of a problem for the metallica but might be for the pulchra.

If pulchra likes dry substrate, check out topsoil from Lowes or Home Depot. The very cheapest- it is either a dollar or two plus change per bag. Earthgro is a "proven" brand that works for dry sub tarantulas. If you see another brand, make sure to read the label for manure or "barnyard products" added.

I don't know if it is okay to use when moist/very moist substrate is needed, though..

Cocofiber is the standard for pretty much everything so if you are not sure, just go with that. Eco Terra is an often used brand.

I'd been using eco terra for everything, finally got a bag of Earthgro topsoil and used it for rehousing a GBB(likes bone dry sub). Have to say I like the looks of it much better than cocofiber.. More naturalistic and pleasing to the eye.

Last edited:

Bhickman

Arachnosquire

weve got a bit of cocofiber already from the last set up had extra left. im going to use straight cocofiber for pulchra. was just thinking about mixing peat up with cocofiber for the metallica to help with moisture. thanks for the reply im running by lowes after work to look and see what ingredients are and hopefully if they have it maybe some vermiculite. ive read its good for moisture also.

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
I got this from my local Lowe's for something around $11, I found a good cheap top soil (much like what has been suggested already) and do anything from a 60/40 dirt to peat moss ratio to 50/50 and it has had great results so far. If in doubt, put a few crickets on the substrate first, if they live, your T should be fine ;)

Edit: Added a picture of the back of the bag

Attachments

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I've seen fair amount of comments about tarantulas not liking to walk on moss.
That's 'long-fibre' sphagnum moss/decorative moss that some have a problem with.

Peat moss is just peat made from mosses, is usually less decomposed than sedge peat and is light-medium brown in colour.
Sedge peat is peat made from reeds, sedges, grasses and cattails, is slightly more decomposed and is dark brown-black in colour.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I recently started using Canadian sphagnum peat.. I absolutely love it.. I paid nine bucks at walmart for a bale.. As long as the ingredients are nothing more than sphagnum peat your good to go.

I use it on species that like moist and dry sub.. It compacts much better than cocofiber when dry and feels alot like dirt.

The only small problem I have with it is that it's slightly hydrophobic.. So of you let it dry too much it doesn't want to rehydrate as easily as coco fiber does.. Add water slowly so that it doesn't create puddles on the surface or go straight to the bottom of the enclosure.

I imagine mixing in a small amount of coco fiber would help with it's initial water resistant nature.. Can't say for sure because I haven't tried it yet..

It's high acidity helps to combat mold and I would imagine it would help with mite infestations. Mites have a thin exo and from what I underatand are extremely sensitive to acidic environments..

Last edited:

Bhickman

Arachnosquire
That's 'long-fibre' sphagnum moss/decorative moss that some have a problem with.

Peat moss is just peat made from mosses, is usually less decomposed than sedge peat and is light-medium brown in colour.
Sedge peat is peat made from reeds, sedges, grasses and cattails, is slightly more decomposed and is dark brown-black in colour.
My lowes only had the majestic earth which I couldn't find what was in it so I didn't get it. And miracle grow which said had fertilizer so I didn't get it either. I did find a package of spaghnam moss it's the fiber looking kind. I got it just in case and found vermiculite picked it up also. For an arboreal sling would I be good with coco fiber and vermiculite. Would mixing the spaghnam moss in with it be any better or leave it out or on top. Just for the a metallica.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Wondering if any peat moss is ok.
Check the ingredients, if sphagnum moss is the only listed ingredient, then it should be OK.

Getting g. Pulchra 1 3/4" and the A. Metallica 1 1/2"

Was just thinking about mixing peat up with cocofiber for the metallica to help with moisture.

I'll post a pic of the organic moss I found online at our local lowes.
I mix up sedge peat with coco fibre as it prevents mould and I prefer the darker colour of the peat to the light brown coco fibre.

With the A. metallica you don't need to moisten the substrate (I got the impression you were quite focused on moisture for this one), just give it a water dish, people kill Avics by soaking/misting the substrate and not supplying enough ventilation.

If you haven't already, read Viper's post in this thread on Avic husbandry.
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461399
It should cover everything you need to know in regards to their care.

I looked up that brand and it seems that people have used it in their herp enclosures without issue, not 100% sure that means it's safe for inverts though.

Last edited:

Bhickman

Arachnosquire
Check the ingredients, if sphagnum moss is the only listed ingredient, then it should be OK.

Ok everything I have read so far said they liked humidity. So I wasn't sure. I wasn't going to drench it but was gonna get sub damp. I had seen some videos with what looked like condensation on the walls. I have read humidity and ventilation for them.

I mix up sedge peat with coco fibre as it prevents mould and I prefer the darker colour of the peat to the light brown coco fibre.

With the A. metallica you don't need to moisten the substrate (I got the impression you were quite focused on moisture for this one), just give it a water dish, people kill Avics by soaking/misting the substrate and not supplying enough ventilation.

If you haven't already, read Viper's post in this thread on Avic husbandry.
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461399
It should cover everything you need to know in regards to their care.

I looked up that brand and it seems that people have used it in their herp enclosures without issue, not 100% sure that means it's safe for inverts though.

Bhickman

Arachnosquire
Ok everything I have read so far said they liked humidity. So I wasn't sure. I wasn't going to drench it but was gonna get sub damp. I had seen some videos with what looked like condensation on the walls. I have read humidity and ventilation for them.

Sorry posting on my phone it went nuts and posted inside the quote

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper

Sorry posting on my phone it went nuts and posted inside the quote
No worries, the joys of technology lol.

Disregard everything you've read so far in regards to humidity and check the link in my previous post, what you've seen in videos is likely from people misting/spraying, I don't spray/mist any of my Tarantulas and I've never had an issue (misting is a debated subject, others do it, I just think it's pointless for several reasons), the majority of NW species get by fine with dry substrate and a water dish that's overflowed once in a blue moon.

Bhickman

Arachnosquire
This is gonna be for a sling 1 1/2" metallica. Does it still need dry sorry. Fixing to read the link now

Bhickman

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the link lol is completely opposite everything I've read but I'll go that route. Was a really good read answers alot of questions. Thank you all for all the info and help. Been amazing.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I imagine mixing in a small amount of coco fiber would help with it's initial water resistant nature.. Can't say for sure because I haven't tried it yet..
I've tried pure peat and peat mixed with about 25% coco fiber. The latter has a better texture and seems to be less resistant to water when completely dry.