Peat moss brand safe?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is the Black Gold Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss Plus safe for Ts? Thats the only Peat moss we have at OSH or Home depot.

Thanks,
Paul

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
so long as its just sphagnum peat moss it should be fine. no additives or anything.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It has yucca extract in it for an organic wetting agent.

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Peat Moss Plus
With Peat Moss Plus you get all the benefits of peat moss plus an organic wetting agent to aid in rewetting the peat moss. Listed by the Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) for the production of organic food and fiber, Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss is an excellent general-purpose soil conditioner for acid-loving plants like azaleas, rhododendrons, roses, conifers, blueberries, and heather. Minimize damaging nutrient loss by adding peat moss to your soil. Peat moss is also helpful in seeding or repairing new and existing lawns.

Applications:
Mix liberally with any soil to improve water retention, soil aeration and to stimulate root development.

Available - 4 qt. and 1 cf. bags
Western United States, IL, OK, TX, AB, BC

Sounds OK, doesn't list any fertilizers or anything of that nature.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hmmm...:? not sure if that would affect any thing.

Have you tried lowes or something? maybe a nursery?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Damn, I'll try lowes tomorrow. What brand do you guys use?

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I used to use Shultz Organic Peat Moss, but I can't find it anymore. I had to switch over to coconut fiber (Yuck) because I can only find miracle grow brand. While I've heard it does no harm better safe than sorry IMO.
They sell huge bales of 100% peat at Lowe's, I've been thinking of picking one up. I hate how coconut fiber has become the 'in' substrate for T's. It is expensive and nowhere near as attractive as peat.

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yep, that is what I was referring to. I think I'll pick up a bag too, and redo all of my enclosures. It's overdue anyhow. :rolleyes:

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've never wanted to have a huge bag of peat sitting around though. I have sixteen T's and it would take FOREVER to use since I rarely change out substrate. That is the only reason I haven't bought one.