PDF Locality/Morph?

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Yeah they say it's an albino. It's weird looking that's for sure. It's my understanding there are no melanistic or hypomelanistic dart frogs. Something with how the color forms in the cells of the skin.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Read the caption. Says it is an albino.
I cant, there's no caption on my PC screen here! hah.

Yeah they say it's an albino. It's weird looking that's for sure. It's my understanding there are no melanistic or hypomelanistic dart frogs. Something with how the color forms in the cells of the skin.
On my end, I see pink, which usually is albino/hypomelanistic, but the image showed blue splotches, and that would not be an albino.

I googled the name @Frogdaddy

These are striking I love blue

Last edited:

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
@viper69 I'm not normally a fan of any albino animal. They just look weird to me. Those frogs look pretty sharp though. That last one seems to be just a Panamanian Blue and Black auratus. A hobby classic that's a little harder to find now. Newer more popular morphs have come in. Just like T's the hobby classics are still beautiful.

Scp682

Arachnoknight
I cant, there's no caption on my PC screen here! hah.

On my end, I see pink, which usually is albino/hypomelanistic, but the image showed blue splotches, and that would not be an albino.

I googled the name @Frogdaddy

These are striking I love blue

Instagram is well known to have edited unrealistic images. I've seen pictures of bright orange snakes and looked up the morph to be disappointed by very different reality.

Meant that it's most likely not blue like in the pic. And albinism is the lack of dark pigments, i don't think that includes blue. Could be wrong it's been a while since i was into morph terminology.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@viper69 I'm not normally a fan of any albino animal. They just look weird to me. Those frogs look pretty sharp though. That last one seems to be just a Panamanian Blue and Black auratus. A hobby classic that's a little harder to find now. Newer more popular morphs have come in. Just like T's the hobby classics are still beautiful.
Agreed- I didn’t know this species came in blue black. Only know it as green of course.

Have Blue Footed Leucs gained more traction and lower prices?

Instagram is well known to have edited unrealistic images. I've seen pictures of bright orange snakes and looked up the morph to be disappointed by very different reality.

Meant that it's most likely not blue like in the pic. And albinism is the lack of dark pigments, i don't think that includes blue. Could be wrong it's been a while since i was into morph terminology.
Of course- but the additional links suggest it may be real. I wouldn’t buy it. I want PDFs for their bright primary colors

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
They're still notably more expensive than regular leucomelas, at least here in Canada.
Of course- but the additional links suggest it may be real. I wouldn’t buy it. I want PDFs for their bright primary colors
There are numerous pictures of similar colored auratus, from different sources, suggesting to me it's legitimate and not an enhanced photo.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Agreed- I didn’t know this species came in blue black. Only know it as green of course.

Blue Footed Leucs are still hard to come by. Not super common but nor super rare either, definitely a high demand for them. They get snatched up quick when they are offered for sale There is a morph of Green Footed Leucs as well. The Blue Foots are still expensive compared to standard Leucomelas and I don't think that will change any time soon. They breed easy enough, I just don't think there was enough founding stock to supply the demand for these frogs.

There are a couple of standard green and black auratus. The most common is the Panamanian green and black, followed by the more elusive Nicaraguan green and black auratus, They look very similar to each other. There are some other locale specific green and black auratus such as the Tobago morph, but they are easily distinguished from the Panamanian and Nicaraguan forms by the pattern on the frog.
The blue and black auratus has been sold for years as a BB auratus. Pretty standard in the hobby for years, it's popularity has declined a bit due to all the locale specific morphs imported in recent years. It's kinda like the T. albo of dart frogs. It's beautiful, but at this point it probably is a "hobby form" because so many blue and black auratus have been bred into the bloodline.

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
These have actually been around for a while. I believe a few individuals came in with an import a year or two ago but I’m not 100 percent. There’s a few albino tincs floating around in the hobby as well.