Pavlov's spider?

blooms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a p. pederseni sling 2 inches in an acrylic cube. When I pick the cube up, the spider doesn't move. If I tap on the acrylic once, the spider does nothing. But, if I tap twice it goes to its burrow. What's funny is I always tap twice and wait for it to go to its burrow before throwing in a dubia. I guess my question is have I conditioned it to go to it's burrow before feeding (aka pavlov and his dog)?

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lol. Or you are just scaring it by sending multiple vibrations into it's home.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I have just the opposite with a couple of my Ts. My little H. incei will come out of her burrow and sit on top when I open the lid of her enclosure (it's a ventilated tupperware). She'll take her cricket and then go back down in her hole. My A. chalcodes is the same way - open her KK and she comes out of her burrow when I open the half-lid, and waits for me to hand her cricket down to her with the tongs.

I have a couple of others that seem to equate opening the lids with food or water. One of my roseas, Carmina, will rush over to the water dish and grab at the water when I fill her dish!

Marga

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow... some annecdotes linking to the possibility of Ts getting accustomed to routine stuff. Are their neuro systems that advanced to facilitate memory and learning?