Pasimachus "Warrior" Beetle Video

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Here's a short video of the aforementioned species. It is difficult to see in the video, but there is a metallic violet band running around the perimeter of the elytra and pronotum. A Top 10 US beetle for sure! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7mgKIGvnME

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7mgKIGvnME[/YOUTUBE]

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Nice 'lil murderer you have there. Was hoping to stumble across these last year, but no dice. Good to see they're a little more generalist in their eating habits than is suggested elsewhere.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i love these guys :clap:yeah they are very aggressive hunters,mine love to chase down crickets............and then......well,cricket gone............:}

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think they're listed as consumers of larvae/caterpillars and the like. These things are easy to catch so it makes sense that they would be listed as the general prey. In captivity, we make the rules! In the video I gave up and pinched the roach with the tweezers, making it much easier for the beetle to "capture" it.

I hope to see a live example of the green-bordered species someday. I've collected a slightly smaller and less glossy, black species in Arizona a few times.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Pasimachus viridans? Looks like you'll be arriving just in time for for the Pasimachus welcome wagon.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cool! I found two a few days ago under rocks, I can finally hike again after my Achilles tendon accident. I left the beetles though, I just have a mess right now and need to clean up before I get more stuff. I still have never seen what the larvae of these beetles look like! I looked around on the internet a year or two ago and didn't find pics of the larvae of these. Anybody find something recently? I bet the larvae are pretty gnarly looking. The one I have caught an adult black field cricket, I only found the wings and few legs left.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hmmm, good find. I don't know how reliable that ID is but I'll keep it in mind, the people trying to ID it sound like they don't really know for sure, def a ground beetle larvae though. I find a lot of larvae around here, sometimes there are 1000s of them, kind of like when you get 1000s of crickets some years and hardly any the next. A lot of Calosoma(caterpillar hunter larvae) here.