pasalmopoeus subfamily/identification!?

ornata

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hello

I have heard that some tarantula experts think that the genus psalmopoeus belong to the subfamily selencosmiiae, somebody who knows anything about this??

Quit intressting to think about, since rest of the genuses/species from this subfamily only can be found in asia!?

Sorry if my english is not perfect, I am not from an english speaking country:)

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I read something similar a while back, and it is interesting considering they're a world away.

But considering how long tarantulas must have been around, and the fact that all of our continents were once conjoined, maybe it isn't that unusual after all.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
You are correct, they are in fact closer related to Old World species, then any New Worlders. (Notice, no urticating hairs?) Also, you may notice their 'Poke pose'.

It is very interesting indeed.

-Sean

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was thinking EXACTLY about this very issue just before I turned on the computer:eek:

What's even eerier is the fact that between the northern shores of South America and the Indian ocean (most of the selencosmiiae happen around it) you have Africa, with large land masses devoid of those. Could they have been introduced? Some ancestor could have hidden in the food supplies of indigenous raft sailors!

PhilR

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I read something similar a while back, and it is interesting considering they're a world away.

But considering how long tarantulas must have been around, and the fact that all of our continents were once conjoined, maybe it isn't that unusual after all.
Exactly. Similarly, Coremiocnemis tropix from Northern Australia was described by Raven a couple of years ago. The first record of the genus outside Malaysia.

Plate tectonics have got a lot to answer for (if you get my drift lol) :D

ornata

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello!
Some wrong statements here.
http://tarantulas.tropica.ru/en/node/431
The right is: Psalmopoeus belongs to the Selenocosmiinae family but some arachnologists (Schmidt, G. et al.) think they're may be included into Aviculariinae...
What do you mean, that some arachnologist thinks that they should belong to Avilulariinae, while others think selenocosmiinae(richard gallon)!?

ornata

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
it has also been speculated that poecilotheriinae actually isent a subfamily at all an that the genus poecilotheria also belongs to selenocosmiinae!?

I actually think that most tarantula experts agree when it comes to this!?

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ornata.
I listed Poecilotheriinae as like Schmidt proposed, but most modern arachnologists (in fact all others - Raven, Nunn, Rafn, Gallon, von Wirth, etc.) didn't have the support for extend the Poecilotheria into it's own subfamily. So, I see some speculation from my site as maybe this is not correct, but actually we just waiting for the revision of asiatic fauna theraphosids.

ornata

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ornata.
I listed Poecilotheriinae as like Schmidt proposed, but most modern arachnologists (in fact all others - Raven, Nunn, Rafn, Gallon, von Wirth, etc.) didn't have the support for extend the Poecilotheria into it's own subfamily. So, I see some speculation from my site as maybe this is not correct, but actually we just waiting for the revision of asiatic fauna theraphosids.
yes, thats true.....but Its possible that poecilotheria some time only will be a genus in selenocosmiinae,but as you say, we just haft to wait and see, things like this take time!