Paruroctonus baergi help

paruroctonusBaergi

Arachnopeon
Hi there!

So I have kept and bred leopard geckos for 4 years, and I've wanted a scorp for a while, and wanted an Asian forest scorpion or an emperor, but they weren't available anywhere I could find nearby, and I didn't want to pay the shipping for priority overnight.

So the other day I went to the pet store to buy a UVA light bulb (for my leopard gecko's plants in her viv), and noticed a "CA sand swimmer scorpion". I'd never heard of it, but the employee at the store pulled up some stuff on it saying it's a new world scorp, and that it likes the temps "a little warmer" (kinda vague but wtvr), and that the sting is relatively mild. So I bought it, and took it home, and was looking online for caresheets so I don't kill it, and I can't find a single caresheet! Not one!

So I found out what the pet store supplier is (California Zoological supply) and called them. They said it's scientific name is Paruroctonus baergi, which helps, but I still cannot find a single care guide on the thing.

I put him in a "Critter keeper" with and inch or two of sand with coco coir sprinkled throughout and a mostly-buried half-log, and a peice of cork bark. And now I am consulting y'all for help.

SOOO... How do I take care of him? Explain it to me like I'm an absalute noob, and have no idea. Guess why? 😂

A few of my biggest questions are:

How big a tank do I need? The critter keeper is pretty good sized, maybe a third the size of a 10-gallon tank.

How much heat do I need, if any? I have a few small UTHs left over from my baby geckos, as well as a thermostat. What do I want the temp to be at the warm side?

Do I want a water dish? Will he drown? I have some water crystals for the crickets I feed my geckos (and now him). Should I give him a few of them in a dish?

He's been doing some glass-surfing during the night, is that normal in a new environment?

How often will he eat and how will I know when he has eaten?

When I feed him, if he doesn't eat, should I leave the crickets in there or should I take them out so they don't stress him?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

paruroctonusBaergi

Arachnopeon
Bump! Anybody have any ideas? I guess for now crank the temps up to 75-80 on the warm side with a heat mat on one side of the enclosure?

paruroctonusBaergi

Arachnopeon
Ummm. I'm taking the silence to mean no one here has any experiance with these guys??? Dang. I guess
I'll just keep him like a desert hairy.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
I don't have any experience with this species, so I'll just give generic info.
I would provide a deep substrate that the animal is able to burrow in.
Look up climate data from their natural habitat, always very helpfull for temperatures!

I don't recommend the water crystals, just a bottle cap sized water dish is sufficient.
And no, arachnids don't need their food dusted since their exoskeleton is made of chitin, not calcium.

paruroctonusBaergi

Arachnopeon
Gotcha. One question I have about the climate data is this: If they are in burrows during the day, how can I find the temps their burrows should be at?

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Usually, you can't. You may be able to find scientific papers looking at soil temperatures. If not, you can assume that a burrow is more stable then the outside climate, it takes the extremes off. So you can assume the scorpion would never be exposed to the coldest and hottest temperatures you find for the area.