Parthenogenetic scorpions

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
He is writing it unclear and not precise, but it seems that he caught adult females and they give birth and all were females, because he was not able to breed or raise them, thus, this is NEVER a clear example for a parthenospecies. Of course, it it strongly suggested, as formaly for P. ochraceus.
Ayrey should send me some, I breed them and prove it ;)

Ilovepredators

Arachnosquire
I've been looking into this recently, it's amazing the different animals that can reproduce this way, one of the most surprising is the Komodo Dragon, fascinating, even tarantulas have been known to reproduce parthenogenetically.
I actually asked that question earlier from the answers I got there are no Parthenogenetic species of tarantulas.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
While reading my own comments above again, I have to clarify something, because maybe it sounds too hard and un-polite: I do not want to harm or discredit Mr. Ayrey or contradict his contribution. I do apologize for being heedless and rude!!!
I just wanted to record that his findings leaves room for interpretation and is not 100% proven, albeit it can be strongly suggested!

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Michael,

I definitely didn't take it as being rude. I know the debate about parthenogenesis can get pretty ugly. I imagine you feel similar as when us hobbyists see the parthenogenic Heterometrus longimanus coming out of the Philippines.

I enjoy seeing new papers from Ayrey as there aren't a lot of people studying the genera he is. With that being said, it's always good to be a little skeptical until things are seen as fact.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
yes I know Brandon, but this excuse was for the author if he is reading this.