Parthenogenesis

vanquisher91

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello, no this isn't about my H. spin babies... no need to :wall:

I have been curious about parthenogenesis in scorpions, and I'm having trouble finding reputable information that is not full of dry entomological babble, so to speak. I know we certainly have an abundance of qualified pros here to enlighten me to some literature on the subject, and maybe even a short overview of the process and conditions in which a species will reproduce via parthenogenesis.

I should probably highlight a main topic of interest to help ease the need for walls of text first. With a parthenogenic species, is it only the female which can reproduce or can both male and female produce offspring? Secondly, if males and females are present within the species, can natural reproduction take place (mating).

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
-Only the female can reproduce that way.
- Both males and females can be present in the species and yes they can mate....thats pretty much it really.

radicaldementia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When it comes to parthenogenic scorpion species, males may exist but they are extremely rare, since when a female gives birth parthenogenically all the offspring are always female. In fact I'm sure in some cases there are no males alive anymore, since they are at a huge disadvantage to find a mate. If a male doesn't find a female at the exact right time, she will just become gravid on her own and be unavailable.

As far as I know, in captivity there are no known males for any of the parthenogenic scorp species.