Paravaejovis spinigerus, my new scorpion.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I managed to catch a scorpling of what I presume is Paravaejovis spinigerus. At least by judging by the striping on its tail. And luckily is already independent of its mother. The catch is it is not much larger than a two week old cricket so feeding will be a challenge. As for molting I have not heard anything about problems with this species and it's substrate is several inches deep to allow burrows if it wants too. My main question is are they smart enough to manage to eat out of a food dish? Providing it with small Phoenix Worms is no issue but since they burrow they must be placed in a dish. There are also many small crickets I can catch and since our property is pesticide free seem like the best bet.

Attachments

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Err... No one feeds there scorpion from a food dish? Either way any way to tell what instar it's at? The cage is an XXL kritter keeper, and the rock behind it takes up over half the cage, for a better reference it is smaller than a dime.

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
never hear of people using a food dish for scorps, i certainly dont for my two. small criks are prob your best bet.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well the crix I put in there disappear so I assume it's eating. I'd prefer to feed it from a dish though, so I can closely monitor how much it eats and to cut down on possible messes. Crickets are somewhat hard to catch and driving into town just to get two or three baby crickets is a waste of gas... It's so tiny, newly born emps just dwarf this little guy or gal.

Attachments

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Well the crix I put in there disappear so I assume it's eating. I'd prefer to feed it from a dish though, so I can closely monitor how much it eats and to cut down on possible messes. Crickets are somewhat hard to catch and driving into town just to get two or three baby crickets is a waste of gas... It's so tiny, newly born emps just dwarf this little guy or gal.
im pretty sure it would take small mealworms or even shopped up mealworms. you can buy them by the hundred and store them in your fridge. let them warm up before feeding the scorp and maybe feed them then too. they are immortal and dont die for dumb reasons like criks do. you can try the dish but im skeptical. and you dont want mealies escaping as they can harm the scorp during a molt.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's why I like Phoenix Worms ;) they are vegetarian/detritivores and if they escape all they do is burrow. That said they burrow too fast for any newly settling in scorpion to catch, and mine is timid. Well I guess I'm going to be on cricket duty for awhile, there are a lot of babies that are the perfect size.

As for mealies never really liked them as feeders and a lot of my animals clearly preferred other choices to meal worms as well.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I have yet to see her/it eat and I'm a bit worried, I do find dead crickets now and then, so according to these pics is she under weight or over weight? I know scorpions can go a long time without eating but since it's WC not seeing it eat that first meal in captivity is a bit disconcerting. Also you can compare the earlier pics to thesr, but I'm not seeing a noticeable difference between them.

Also how do you guys get those scorpions whom just ruthlessly hunt and eat regardless of outside circumstances? Mine flees in terror at the slightest of disturbance while others of the same species could care less.

Now she could have molted, I have noticed something in her hide, but I'm not really eager to lift her hide up unless I find her outside to confirm or dispel my suspicion.

Attachments

Stugy

Arachnolord
I used to use food dishes for my bugs. They work pretty well because the feeder (i used worms,meal worms, blah blah blah) can't get out and the 'feedee' will walk around whenever it wants and eventually stumble upon the dish. But since my feeder supply is at zero food dishes aren't needed lol. Now I go outside and get some crickets where I take some classes as I've tested the area already :p. How do Phoenix Worms work with scorps and spiders? I have yet to use them.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My spiders loved them, never tried them on scorpions yet but I will soon. The worms are always wriggling so that's a plus. And they are harmless. The drawback is they burrow rapidly.