Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Parasites in tarantulas

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by joshua Pitcher, Nov 8, 2019.

1. joshua Pitcher

joshua Pitcher Arachnopeon

Uk
    Advertisement
    I haven't posted on here in a long time but last week my juvenile balfouri went into death curl so I acted quickly gave it water raised the humidity to was in a death curl for around 4 days I came back from work today found it dead but on closer inspection it has a lump on its bum anyone shed abit of light on this for me please

2. TownesVanZandt

TownesVanZandt Arachnoprince

Do you perhaps have some pictures? Parasites in captive-bred Ts is not an issue, so unless your specimen was wild-caught I doubt that´s the reason.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. joshua Pitcher

joshua Pitcher Arachnopeon

Uk
    You cant really see it on the photo but theres a lump on its bum?

Attached Files:

4. Rigor Mortis

Rigor Mortis Arachnoknight Active Member

I can't really see anything in that photo. If your T was infected with parasites they would likely be showing around the mouthparts, that's usually how they present.

5. Olan

Olan Arachnodemon Old Timer

There are some parasites that cause a large bump on the abdomen. You can dissect it to see if you find a grub-like thing in there

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Colorado Ts

Colorado Ts Arachnosquire Active Member

I've read of some parasites that kill the host tarantula upon rupture. I've never seen them identified as to genus & species. To me, they look like grubs or maggots of some sort.

The Tarantula Hawk Wasp larva finishes the tarantula from the inside/out. It leaves the tarantula once it’s eaten it’s fill, then burrows into the soil and pupates.

7. Arachnophoric

Arachnophoric Arachnoangel Arachnosupporter

It DOES appear that the abdomen is swollen on the left side (the tarantula's right). Is that what you're talking about?

Only way that I could foresee a captive bred tarantula being exposed to parasites is if it was fed wild caught prey. Did you ever give it wild caught feeders?

If you can stomach it, I'd be curious of what you'd find if you did a little dissection on the abdomen as well.

8. Feral

Feral Arachnoknight Active Member

I see the lopsidedness, too. If you bisect the abdomen with an imaginary line, you can see the right side is swollen and her spinnerets are displaced to the left laterally. (Unless she is laying crooked and that's an illusion caused by the abdomen being twisted to the left.)

But I don't see a lump or bump, per se.

Is the lump near the spinnerets/anus area? Or more on the outer side of the abdomen? Or where?

9. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

Parasites tend to be host specific so unless it's a WC tarantula then I seriously doubt parasites are the cause of death.

Could possibly be impaction or maybe something else has gone wrong internally (like a cyst, that would explain the misshapen abdomen).

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Feral

Feral Arachnoknight Active Member

Agree. I womdered about lumpiness around the spinnerets/anus area. I've never dealt with impaction myself, keep in mind, only read. But I do recall reading accounts of spinneret displacement/crookedness and bulges around the anal spinneret/area. I also remember hear tell of limp or awkwardly extended spinnerets that never folded up. And anal plugs... of peepoop.

@joshua Pitcher, did you see anything strange with how she held her spinnerets? Is whatever lump you're seeing near the anus? Can you see any buildup of peepoop around her anus? Did her appetite or amount of waste noticeably decrease?

Just thoughts.

I'm sorry for your loss, it's terrible and I'm sorry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.