Paranoid: Not seen ex-escapee S. sub in a while...

gothmoth

Arachnopeon
Hi ! Looking for a little reassurance here. I’ve got a 7-8in male s. subspinipes that i’ve had for a while. the mans name is chili dog and hes so iffy with me. he’ll be out and about exploring for hours sometimes and now recently he’s been hidden for quite a while. he’s got plenty of moist, warm substrate with subtle ventilation, plants and hides. i’m in GA so right now avg temps outside are between 65-80, with an avg temp in my room of 72-74 (other reptiles/inverts, heat pads & lamps keep my room warmer than the house) - anyways, i’m paranoid because i had an escape once and have since rehoused him and escape-proofed it and having not seen him in a while i’m constantly thinking “that’s an empty enclosure” even though i’ve *watched* him try to escape and he could not reach the top of his tank, let alone chew or squeeze through my reinforcements. really wondering if it’s normal behaviour for him to be hidden so long? ...though his escapades & exploration missions were a new development.... i dunno.

*PS. if he’s hidden when it’s feed time, how will i know if he eats? aside from seeing the occasional cricket disappear once i look away

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
maybe its gonna molt soon? i dunno if they molt regular like how ts do